Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon -v- Morecombe Matchday Thread.  (Read 31674 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #180 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 10:28:30 »

Glad someone commented on this. I thought he was very good (if a little patient with Rose being in his face all game). It's remarkable enough this year to deserve noting. What was his name, for future reference?
I did too, I mentioned early on in the game that the ref looked ok

The ref has quite a good grip on the game under poor conditions, its very wet and thats affecting the tackles.

Not 100% certain about the penalty as I didn't see the tug and haven't seen it again yet but over all he did well for this level we have seen some shockers this season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 10:31:32 »

Not 100% certain about the penalty as I didn't see their  tug and haven't seen it again yet but over all he did well for this level we have seen some shockers this season.

Seeing the highlights it’s clear that Norris’ shirt is being pulled by the defender.
The issue is more that refs don’t give pens for it more often than not
Peter Venkman

« Reply #182 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 10:31:59 »

Oh and over all I quite enjoyed the game I agree with WB on most of what he said, I think Mayo will be a good defender but he needs time and a good CB alongside and he will improve a lot.

We are still in the hunt but its looking harder with every game not won I am surprised we are still only 3 points (but 13 goals) off 7th place.

I don't think I have seen a Town team put so many dangerous crosses into the box in many years.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 10:33:53 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Peter Venkman

« Reply #183 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 10:32:43 »

Seeing the highlights it’s clear that Norris’ shirt is being pulled by the defender.
The issue is more that refs don’t give pens for it more often than not
Yeah it seems to be an accepted part and parcel of the game now and very few refs give them.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 10:58:50 »

Re Norris.

He started the season very well, but the injury was a big set back.
Looking at his stats, he's more or less on a par with Billy Paynter in the 2nd season of his Town career. (Similar "barn door" type strikers I'd say)

He may yet have a 20 goal season in him, if maybe paired with an Austin type striker, but whether that will happen here looks doubtful.
He doesn't seem to have hit it off with any of his strike partners, this season and last.

Having said that, despite his limitations he does contribute when he plays.
And we do appear to miss him when he doesn't.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 11:43:30 »

Yeah it seems to be an accepted part and parcel of the game now and very few refs give them.

We’ve been given a few this season though. I’d say the ones given for shirt tugs versus Chesterfield (home) and Mansfield (away) were softer than yesterday’s.

We’ve conceded some as well, I think it was Lancashire at home to Crawley who got done for something similar.

Shirt pulling seldom achieves anything and it just isn’t worth the risk.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #186 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 11:51:38 »

Shirt pulling seldom achieves anything and it just isn’t worth the risk.
It is pointless but most defenders seem to do it, hence my part and parcel of the game comment.

I doesnt slow an attacker down, its a very cheap free kick/penalty to give away, his manager must be furious with him, I know I would be if I was manager of a team winning 1-0 away when my defender did that, as Norris was never going to connect enough on the cross to make it count.

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 13:55:08 »

Just read back after going to the match yesterday, all about opinions and everyone has one but some of the points raised today on here surprised me..

Morcambe fully deserved their half time lead - Don't agree at all, however Swindon didn't deserve to be winning either, powder puff in front of goal.

Blaming Dunne for the goal - How?

Their goal keeper has had nothing to do - I thought he made some decent saves.  One point blank in the first half, pushed one Norris header onto the bar, and a great save in the build up to the penalty being awarded.

The referee had a decent game - I thought he was terrible.  Seemed to be the centre of attention in most circumstances, wanting to talk to their players about every incident - the drop ball situation being a perfect example.  Good referees are not seen or mentioned significantly during the 90 mins, that was not the case yesterday.

And one that most agree with - Norris is not good enough, is not a striker, and is affected by confidence way too much to be a decent striker at any level.  He is way too lazy and lightweight for a big fella.

IMO Dunne was MOTM - most will not agree with that though because not a lot rate him, but yesterday he did the dirty stuff, breaking things up and mixing it up in midfield.  We need more players to do that to have any chance, we have far too many pretty players that are not brave enough to impact the game significantly.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 13:57:46 by Berniman » Logged

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 14:09:47 »

Dunne was my mom too Bernie, and I don't rate him. But he's had three good games in a row.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #189 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 14:43:11 »

Dunne was my mom too Bernie, and I don't rate him. But he's had three good games in a row.
Yeah he was up there in the best performers for us yesterday for certain, 3 in a row it seems he just couldn't play how Flitcroft wanted him to play.

And FWIW I agree with Berni in everything apart from the ref, but part of that could be that we have had some of the worst referees I have ever seen this season and this ref was one of the better ones we have had.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 14:45:42 by Peter Venkman » Logged

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 14:54:51 »

Knoyle was my MOTM yesterday. Put some decent crosses in & defended well. Was never afraid to have a run at their LB either.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 16:36:59 »

Sometimes at a game I just sit there and shake my head at some of the stupid comments from our fans, yesterday was another of those.

My particular favourite was someone claiming Norris was lazy, after he had just run 30/40 yards to close their keeper down to rush him into a poor clearance that he then kicked into touch effectively winning us back possession.

Blaming Dunne for the goal - How?

This was just another example, when it was clearly Banks that mis controlled the ball.

Some players are just on the hit list of some of our special fans, and it doesn't matter what they do (or in some cases don't even do), they will get abuse for it
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 22:56:56 »

Even after a replay, I thought the pen was given for a pull on Banks, not Norris. Proof of a moot decision?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
REDBUCK

« Reply #193 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 07:27:52 »

Yep, shirt pull on Banks. Highlights has Ref pointing it out to their players.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 07:42:19 »

Looks like Doris to me. Has Phil Brown invited Vigs back for training at the club?

https://mobile.twitter.com/67Arn/status/980341685900201985/photo/1
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: