Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon -v- Morecombe Matchday Thread.  (Read 31374 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 16:41:43 »

I thought Anderson had a good game today, others disagree, what do I know. But interesting to hear there had been trouble behind the scenes given the Norris/Mrs Norris rumour.

As for the match, well we gifted them a goal. Then we spent the rest of the time getting good balls into the box for the strikers to miss, spoon or otherwise stuff up.

It wasn't a bad performance. But its one that will see us stay down. Hey ho.

And Venks, with the goal I've worked out what it is I don't like about Mayo's game. He keeps coming into a midfield area to try and win the ball (usually a header, this time a tackle). And when he doesn't there is a big hole where he should be. Other than that aspect he had one of his better games for us.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 16:44:02 »

If only we didn't need to be better than them.  Lincoln won 3-2 by the way

You misunderstand.I meant Lincoln and Wycombe couldn't beat Morecambe at home

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 16:50:43 »

Pitch was a real leveller today as impossible to do anything, first touch was always a lottery. 2nd half they did the square root of fuck all but our final ball was always lacking. That said an Austin or Ajose would have got a couple today just by being in the right place. Story of our season really and probably consigns us to league 2 next season.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #153 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 16:53:38 »

I thought Anderson had a good game today, others disagree, what do I know. But interesting to hear there had been trouble behind the scenes given the Norris/Mrs Norris rumour.

As for the match, well we gifted them a goal. Then we spent the rest of the time getting good balls into the box for the strikers to miss, spoon or otherwise stuff up.

It wasn't a bad performance. But its one that will see us stay down. Hey ho.

And Venks, with the goal I've worked out what it is I don't like about Mayo's game. He keeps coming into a midfield area to try and win the ball (usually a header, this time a tackle). And when he doesn't there is a big hole where he should be. Other than that aspect he had one of his better games for us.
I thought Anderson did alright too, offered more going forwards than we have had in our last 2 away games at least.

We need to get a foot onto the balls going into the box, I thought Richards wasn't THAT bad really and far better than an offkey Norris IMO.

Mayo shows a lot of naivety at times and his decision making is often pretty poor, he does run with the ball a little too often for his ability but he does have a knack of getting in the right place to block shots or get his body between the ball and the goal.

There is no doubt with 2 fit centre backs he would not be playing, he did win a lot of headers today against a big opponent though.

I also think Dunne played quite well again, still gave the ball away cheaply at times but looks more like a player under PB than he did under Flitcroft.

For me though Morecambe were well below average for 90% of the game and didn't make much attempt to play football just hoof it.

But they got what they came for....a point and that pleased the 82 fans they brought.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:08:50 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:05:37 »

I enjoyed the game and we were unlucky not to get a win.  The whole team worked very hard which is the minimum that I ask for.

ust be the oldest
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:10:39 »

You misunderstand.I meant Lincoln and Wycombe couldn't beat Morecambe at home

doh! OK, sorry
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:20:40 »

I sort of feel sorry for Norris, he just doesn't have a footballers brain.  He is always just were he shouldn't be.  There were enough crosses today for a decent striker to have grabbed a couple, but he does not have the instinct.  He constantly seems to misjudge long balls as well.  There was one today where the defender stood still and set himself to clear and Norris just ran beside him, utterly missing the flight of the ball.  You can hear the crowd getting annoyed with him because it almost looks like he is moving himself out of the way.

I thought the 2nd half was a good effort, I cannot remember our defenders taking the ball from the keeper quite so regularly.

I don't get Anderson.  I think he is a good footballer but I can't figure out how you get him into a formation and be effective.

Over the summer we certainly need a new striker.  If we approach the games the way we did the 2nd half today and get a few players in who fit the formation/tactics then we should be able to improve.  It's a shame really that we wasted a season to some degree.  Yes we arrested the decline and dispensed with a not very effective Manager or approach to the game, but we just left this entire season up to chance thanks to Flitcroft's Managerial approach.  I fortunately missed last season, up until this game, this has been the worst Swindon team I have seen in my time supporting the club that I remember (too young to remember the Div 4 seasons before Macari's promotion winning team.  Even worse than the abomination we had in the early 2000's.  Not because the players were the shitest (they might be) but because we played shit football on purpose.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:33:16 »

Haha - I just took a look at the league table, hadn't paid much attention.  How the fuck are we still in the hunt after the last six or seven games!!!
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #158 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:38:16 »

Thought that was a shit game between two shit sides almost devoid of any quality. Conditions weren't great though. Morecambe can join a long list of shit teams we have failed to beat at home this season. We were lucky to get the penalty as it was yet another game we could have been there all night and not scored. The defence really is shit and as we have all season, we don't have a cohesive midfield. 
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:41:38 »

Haven't read back.

Any thoughts of pulling off a promotion evaporated last week for me.

Very poor first half and yet again we give a poor or mediocre side a gift to hang on to.

Better second half and just couldn't get the ball over the line. Shame...

Off to Crawley Monday but my view is the same, probably top ten but that's it....build for next season...

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:44:52 »

Over the summer we certainly need a new striker.  

Of course the reality is that next season still having Mullin, Anderson, Richards, Luke and Woolery contracted we're not too badly off for front players.... the problem this season has been in defence, there are only 8 or so teams in Div 4 leakier than us.

It's the defence that will need sorting.... maybe Conroy coming back will help, but you never know with long term injuries.

However, all of that pales into insignificance compared to who the next managerial appointment will be.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 30, 2018, 18:32:03 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:46:08 »

Haha - I just took a look at the league table, hadn't paid much attention.  How the fuck are we still in the hunt after the last six or seven games!!!

To be fair teams have made the playoffs (and gone up) from this league with less than 70 points.

I think the bar will be slightly higher this year, but a side with 61 from 39 is always likely to still be in with a shout of the playoffs in this league.
woolster

« Reply #162 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 17:59:53 »

the Mansfield forum should be a good read Girl Giggle
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 18:08:30 »

the Mansfield forum should be a good read Girl Giggle

Oddly enough just been to have a look. They seem quite encouraged by their performance today.
woolster

« Reply #164 on: Friday, March 30, 2018, 18:12:16 »

Oddly enough just been to have a look. They seem quite encouraged by their performance today.
surprised by that Batch, they are dropping like a lead balloon
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: