Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The promised land that is L1  (Read 17066 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:27:00 »

Though I’d try a football thread!

Hold the incredulity for a moment and fantasise about next season in L1 with STFC.

Could be a cracker of a season with Reading, Bristol Rovers, The Stains, Pompey, Charlton, Sunderland, Birmingham all bringing a decent atmosphere to the CG.

Or would people prefer those yellow bellies to drop rather than play them next season? They could struggle to stay up with the top 3 to play away - but, tbh, I think they’ll stay up. Still got my double of us up, them down coughing 34/1.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:34:30 »

When we were in league 1, I thought the standard was terrible. I hadn’t seen anything yet after some of the games this season.

To be honest i’ve seen some ‘big’ sides historically in league 1. Leeds, Wolves, Southampton, Norwich, Forest etc that I guess we’ve been spoiled a bit.

That’s a fairly tasty list of sides you mention Audrey, I know I’d be much more tempted to go - and my dad, who has stopped going as well.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:35:43 »

Its got so much potential to be the best season in ages, lot of ifs though.

I'm still really struggling to make a case for us making the playoffs now - not mathematically, obviously,  but with how we are playing. So no doubt we'll miss out with the rest falling nicely into place
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:37:33 »

Its got so much potential to be the best season in ages, lot of ifs though.

I'm still really struggling to make a case for us making the playoffs now - not mathematically, obviously,  but with how we are playing. So no doubt we'll miss out with the rest falling nicely into place
Spoken like a true Town fan but I agree with you.
The big question though is if we don't make it this season, then what?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:39:35 »

Looking at some posts in L1 forums a lot of fans see L1 as we see L2. In that it is a shit league with a lot of shit teams in it.

If we do make it, we’ll need yet another revamped squad to compete.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:41:53 »

Spoken like a true Town fan but I agree with you.

I’d be hopeful that Phil Brown comes in longer term, we ship out most of the Flitcroft players (probably to Mansfield) and let him build his own side. It’s early days but Brown is better tactically and I imagine has better contacts in the football world that DF.

Vigs is out of contract at the end of next season, get him into that shop window for one last hurrah!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:47:06 »

That's what worries me most. Will Power consider this is only big financial shot, or will he give another* "top budget" again next season?

Its not that money is a guarantee of success, but it bloody well helps

*assuming it really is.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:49:21 »

I would rather we were promoted and MKD, Poxfraud and Northampton all relegated.

I think promotion is not beyond us still but its a massive ask and TBH I think its doubtful now, if we had got a result at Exeter I would have been much more confident but we obviously didn't.

All the games left for us are still easily winable and I think if we can start scoring then we can outscore any of our opponents between now and the end of the season, Accrington included who were nothing special when we played them but we got hit on the break...again...twice.

Goalkeeping and defence are a major concern but also so is the lack of good chances we create. Elsnik when fit and playing well creates so much for us, Richards will always score goals if given the bal in the box which he hasn't been for several weeks.

Banks return could strengthen midfield defensively and he gets into good positions too attacking.

I would like to think that even if we didn't get promoted then PB would be given/take the chance of managing us for next season where he can recuit his own players and get us playing as a unit, something Flitcroft managed to get us doing a few times but usually our lack of firepower and poor defending has cost us.

Can we still get promoted...definately, will we get promoted...doubtful at best.

Next season in L1 could well be one of the best team wise for many years if we did get there, as it currently stand though it is still a dream just out of reach.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 11:52:37 »

A few of the clubs above us are playing each other tomorrow so points to be dropped. We just need to win.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 12:00:13 »

A few of the clubs above us are playing each other tomorrow so points to be dropped. We just need to win.

Well, if we are still in the same relative points position come Monday night as we are now -  I'm dusting this off

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 12:01:30 »

Still everything to play for but there can't be many truly optimistic town fans left.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 12:07:00 »

Still everything to play for but there can't be many truly optimistic town fans left.
No they are thin on the ground, my post hinted to me being optimistic but actually I am fairly far from that in reality.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 12:36:34 »

Very good chance we wont go up (which could be a blessing given the playing staff) but you're right, could be some great games. I'd include Luton & Wycombe too, relatively local and potentially bigger crowds.

I don't think Reading or Brum will come down now they've got new managers, so IF we went up we'd have 3 long norvun trips in Burton, Barnsley & Sunderland.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 12:50:03 »

I don't think Reading or Brum will come down now they've got new managers, so IF we went up we'd have 3 long norvun trips in Burton, Barnsley & Sunderland.
I think you probably meant Bradford not Burton as Burton is 15 miles closer to Swindon than Southend Wink

Also Rotherham, Fleetwood, Blackpool, Doncaster, Oldham and Scunthorpe are long old trips, and possibly Blackburn.

I don't think Reading will get relegated but a good chance Brum still could.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 29, 2018, 13:05:00 »

Though I’d try a football thread!

Hold the incredulity for a moment and fantasise about next season in L1 with STFC.

Could be a cracker of a season with Reading, Bristol Rovers, The Stains, Pompey, Charlton, Sunderland, Birmingham all bringing a decent atmosphere to the CG.

And Blackburn too if they don't go up. Dunno what kind of numbers they'd bring but a biggish side at this level.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: