Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exeter City vs Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 27568 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 11:34:22 »

I had completely forgotten about Anderson and Banks! Are they now both back for the run in? These guys could be key now for us. PV has touched on Anderson’s pace and Banks’ has the best vision in the side. If we can integrate them back and get Elsnik back to his best and we have a real chance.

I keep banging on about it but our defence is killing us. We basically have to do without 3 of our best defenders and our back ups are not up to it. Interestingly Exeter are also without their best centre backs also, but are managing a bit better unfortunately. This from some Exeter fans-

‘Swindon as a side weren't bad, could see why they're up there. The big CB you had, Menayese, was awful.. How does he get into the team? Struggled to kick a ball, as did the keeper. Poor distribution, and being an Exeter fan, we're all to used to poor distribution.’

‘Strangely enough we have our 3 CBs out too. Sweeney is a right back and Storey is a kid who started the season at Dorchester. He looked fantastic today though. Another big tick for our youth policy.’

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #166 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 11:39:05 »

It was more Mayo's passing that stood out as bad for me.
Mayos passing started fine but got much worse as the game went on, but thats certainly not his strong point, he got his foot or body in the way of a fair bit though, and TBH I thought Robertsons continual hoofing of the ball up to Richards/Woolery when he had it in good positions was the worst crime.

Instead of passing to a midfielder to create an attack he just belted it, usually with little accuracy up to Richards or Woolery and thats not a strong point of either strikers game, he turned defence to attack back to defence again inside 10 seconds.....but did this all the time!

We will struggle defensively until we get new bodies in, like Ryan McGivern who didn't even make the bench yesterday....is he injured?
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 11:41:22 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 12:01:31 »

He’s been chucked in the deep end, for sure. I’m certain the plan for him didn’t include being a permanent CB game after game.

Saying that, I imagine that being a lower league defender, whether old hand (Robertson) or newbie (Mayo), being able to clear crosses is a basic requirement. Of course, the midfield seemingly unable to stop the crosses coming in is another problem.

The all piss and panic defence seems to be a permanent feature of our sides recently.

It’s why, after a totally dominant first 25 minutes, we needed to score more than once as we are always liable to let in at least 2.

One redeeming feature is, though, there are a number of 6 pointers over Easter for the other teams. If we can’t put both Morecambe and Creepy to the sword to take advantage, then we don’t deserve the POs.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 12:13:30 »

He’s been chucked in the deep end, for sure. I’m certain the plan for him didn’t include being a permanent CB game after game.

Saying that, I imagine that being a lower league defender, whether old hand (Robertson) or newbie (Mayo), being able to clear crosses is a basic requirement. Of course, the midfield seemingly unable to stop the crosses coming in is another problem.

The all piss and panic defence seems to be a permanent feature of our sides recently.

It’s why, after a totally dominant first 25 minutes, we needed to score more than once as we are always liable to let in at least 2.

One redeeming feature is, though, there are a number of 6 pointers over Easter for the other teams. If we can’t put both Morecambe and Creepy to the sword to take advantage, then we don’t deserve the POs.

Spot on in all points in my opinion.

That’s the issue with the vast majority of league 2 defenders. They have zero composure and I’m sure it’s drilled into them to get rid at all costs which cause them to snatch at the ball when it comes into the box causing miskicks, rash challenges etc.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 13:44:39 »

Mayo's passing is never going to be great. his strengths are his strength and looks ok in a tackle.

his weaknesses are sometimes his positioning, lack of real pace and, as I've mentioned his total inability to head when up against a player he has to jump with.

he's young though. I think he'll be a reasonable lower league defender. I think he's already better than our other centreback
Flashheart

« Reply #170 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 13:55:11 »

Mayo's paying is never going to be great.

Paying? Heading?

Help!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 14:00:06 »

oh FFS. fixed it
adje

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 14:00:53 »

Admittedly my opinion is only based on the highlights but that penalty was bollocks!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 14:37:08 »

I had completely forgotten about Anderson and Banks! Are they now both back for the run in? These guys could be key now for us.

Keshi has been available, just dropped to the bench.

Banks being back should be a help, as he'll be playing for a contract somewhere.

Playing to get a contract somewhere for lower league journeymen is much more of a focus, than what is happening in the league at this stage of the season.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Monday, March 26, 2018, 08:52:41 »

I heard McDermott and Preston could be in contention too
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Monday, March 26, 2018, 09:03:46 »

Preston could be in contention too

That was mentioned by BBC Wilts as "some people are saying" and then laughed off. If its true then it surely improves our chances!
« Last Edit: Monday, March 26, 2018, 09:08:42 by Batch » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #176 on: Monday, March 26, 2018, 09:52:10 »

I heard McDermott and Preston could be in contention too
McDermott is a good bench filler, Preston back would be massive if he is up to a good fitness level.

Surprised to say the least.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Monday, March 26, 2018, 09:56:53 »

McDermott is a good bench filler, Preston back would be massive if he is up to a good fitness level.

Surprised to say the least.

If Preston is back I doubt Power would have signed McGivern.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #178 on: Monday, March 26, 2018, 09:58:45 »

If Preston is back I doubt Power would have signed McGivern.
McGivern is essentially a left back who can fill in at CB so perhaps hes not sure that Hussey is fully fit yet too. He certainly didn't look fully fit at the weekend, but then neither did Taylor or Elsnik.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Monday, March 26, 2018, 14:36:00 »

Ripped his arse

‘Swindon Town Boss Phil Brown has provided the latest on defender Ryan McGivern, who missed Saturday's 3-1 defeat to Exeter City because of injury.

"He just tweaked his Rectus Femoris in a game on Tuesday," Brown said.

"Fingers crossed he should be okay and I'm hoping that one or two others come out of the treatment room as well.

"If that's the case then we'll have a stronger team, a stronger squad and the mentality that needs to improve."

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: