Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exeter City vs Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 27571 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, March 24, 2018, 17:44:20 »

7 wins minimum out of 8 needed for automatic.
5 wins from 8 probably needed for play offs.
It’s going to be interesting, can’t see it tho.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, March 24, 2018, 18:41:34 »

Form can turnaround quickly at this stage of the season in either direction when the pressure really kicks in. Long runs of form can suddenly disappear and easy games on paper can become tricky.

Remember 2009/10 we went second in the table with 6 games left after the 3-0 win at Leeds, Austin and Paynter scoring for fun and we finished 5th with only 2 wins after the Leeds game. Despite not being the 'form' team we made the play off final.

We will just have to see how the next 2-3 games go and then see if we are in touch.
Panda Paws

« Reply #152 on: Saturday, March 24, 2018, 18:44:20 »

Our run in, compared to others, is favourable. 5 at home too, where we’ve been good since the turn of the year. This ain’t over and under Brown, we’ve got a chance.

The CBs are a disaster though. That team but with Lancs/Conroy/Preston fit all season finish top 3.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, March 24, 2018, 19:05:40 »

To be fair he was right, they were.

That’s the difference between a team that will and a team that could get promotion.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, March 24, 2018, 20:53:23 »

Our run in, compared to others, is favourable. 5 at home too, where we’ve been good since the turn of the year. This ain’t over and under Brown, we’ve got a chance.

The CBs are a disaster though. That team but with Lancs/Conroy/Preston fit all season finish top 3.

Putting together a good late run of games is very, very difficult.... we managed it in 88/89 in Lou's last season winning 5 and drawing 3 of the last 8, to get in the PO's before losing to Palace in the semis... the only time we've lost at that stage in regulation time, as opposed to pens.

However that was a very good side, who the following season would gain promotion to the top flight.

Most Town sides stumble a bit towards the end of a season, fatigue, knowing they'll be off soon, and a desire for the beach being the reasons for that.

It just isn't going to happen for these boys.... at times we've approached getting fully into the mix, but have just come up short in the key games, or failed to dispatch a struggler. 

There's no real reason to think that will change. I suppose having Banks back, Linganzi fit and Hussey seemingly OK, provides a slither of hope, but really it's no more than that.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, March 24, 2018, 21:01:41 »

Putting together a good late run of games is very, very difficult.... we managed it in 88/89 in Lou's last season winning 5 and drawing 3 of the last 8, to get in the PO's before losing to Palace in the semis... the only time we've lost at that stage in regulation time, as opposed to pens.

However that was a very good side, who the following season would gain promotion to the top flight.

Most Town sides stumble a bit towards the end of a season, fatigue, knowing they'll be off soon, and a desire for the beach being the reasons for that.

It just isn't going to happen for these boys.... at times we've approached getting fully into the mix, but have just come up short in the key games, or failed to dispatch a struggler. 

There's no real reason to think that will change. I suppose having Banks back, Linganzi fit and Hussey seemingly OK, provides a slither of hope, but really it's no more than that.

are you ruling out a playoff finish or just auto?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Saturday, March 24, 2018, 21:10:20 »

Have to agree with this.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, March 24, 2018, 21:31:04 »

are you ruling out a playoff finish or just auto?

The auto ship sailed after Wycombe and Accy away.  A PO finish is now looking unlikely our poor GD at this stage is worth a point deducted. Of course it's still doable if we win the games, but it would take a highly unusual finish.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 09:18:55 »

That match was a symbol of our season.

Played some really good stuff and it was a hair on a gnats arse that the ball never really fell for us in the final third. Eventually got the goal but never kicked on.

Poor yet again in defence and didn't need the get out of jail card when their goal was disallowed, I didn't see much wrong with it.

Conceded again and a defo pen for me meant we went in 2:1.

Second half epic fail. Exeter weren't too interested in pressing forward and it became very clear that they had done enough already to win the game.

Third was miles offside in the build up but that sort of made up for the disallowed goal.

Nobody really shine yesterday and even mayonnaise had a shocker at the back.

In short...quite good but just not quite good enough.

I would even say the POffs are a big ask.

Whoever the manager is next season, he will have enough of a spine to build with but I fear it will be in L2 again...

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 10:18:51 »

Whoever the manager is next season, he will have enough of a spine to build with but I fear it will be in L2 again...

I've asked before but to no avail, but which players arre contracted for next season? 
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 10:50:22 »

Players contracted for next season: Vigouroux (not sure about Moore and Charles-Cook), Lancashire, Conroy, Dunne, Anderson, Woolery, Richards, Norris, Mullin, Young
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 10:52:12 »

Nobody really shine yesterday and even mayonnaise had a shockr at the back

Bit harsh that, thought he put loads of effort in, ended up trying to cover for Robertson and Purkiss who were both poor.
Overall I didn’t think that we played too badly but no cutting edge.
Thought Flitcroft was still with us when Woolery got subbed 🙄
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 10:55:51 »

Players contracted for next season: Vigouroux (not sure about Moore and Charles-Cook), Lancashire, Conroy, Dunne, Anderson, Woolery, Richards, Norris, Mullin, Young

Right. So the new gaffer will be OK for front men, assuming they all stay, but will need a more or less complete overhaul of defence and midfield.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #163 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 11:09:33 »

Bit harsh that, thought he put loads of effort in, ended up trying to cover for Robertson and Purkiss who were both poor.
Overall I didn’t think that we played too badly but no cutting edge.
Thought Flitcroft was still with us when Woolery got subbed 🙄
I thoughy Mayo was easily our best defender but thats not saying much, Robertson, Purkiss and Hussey were all terrible defending.

Probably the worst perfromance by Purkiss in a Town shirt for me, Hussey is good going forwards but he can't defend and Taylor hindered more than helped at the back.

I thought Woolery was unlucky to be subbed but he did the best of our forward line, Richards and Mullin both off key.

One bonus was Linganzi coming back who looked quite comfortable and passed and ran well, Dunne again played quite well against his former side.

The season is far from over but we need to defend as a team and not rely on the back 4 who are not good enough, the midfield has to protect them and we need to create chances which we didn't yesterday.

If Richards is not playing well we don't look like scoring.

The run of poorer form has coincided with Elsniks drop in form too, he looks totally burned out, he didn't do the simple stuff like run with the ball and pass to a Town player.

But the biggest thing is that he is not shooting from distance any more, hes not making their keepers make saves that are finished off by Richards in the 6 yard box, he used to bang in shots from all distances....he hasn't done that since he came back from injury.

I think we miss the breaking pace of Anderson running out with the ball, yes he often chooses the wrong end product either shot, pass or fall over but he gets the ball out of our defence quickly and turns it into attack, especially when we are counter attacking, which we didn't do yesterday as Exeter invited us to come attack them, which we did but with no end product at all.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 11:11:21 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Sunday, March 25, 2018, 11:29:56 »

I thoughy Mayo was easily our best defender but thats not saying much, Robertson, Purkiss and Hussey were all terrible defending.

Probably the worst perfromance by Purkiss in a Town shirt for me, Hussey is good going forwards but he can't defend and Taylor hindered more than helped at the back.

I thought Woolery was unlucky to be subbed but he did the best of our forward line, Richards and Mullin both off key.

One bonus was Linganzi coming back who looked quite comfortable and passed and ran well, Dunne again played quite well against his former side.

The season is far from over but we need to defend as a team and not rely on the back 4 who are not good enough, the midfield has to protect them and we need to create chances which we didn't yesterday.

If Richards is not playing well we don't look like scoring.

The run of poorer form has coincided with Elsniks drop in form too, he looks totally burned out, he didn't do the simple stuff like run with the ball and pass to a Town player.

But the biggest thing is that he is not shooting from distance any more, hes not making their keepers make saves that are finished off by Richards in the 6 yard box, he used to bang in shots from all distances....he hasn't done that since he came back from injury.

I think we miss the breaking pace of Anderson running out with the ball, yes he often chooses the wrong end product either shot, pass or fall over but he gets the ball out of our defence quickly and turns it into attack, especially when we are counter attacking, which we didn't do yesterday as Exeter invited us to come attack them, which we did but with no end product at all.

It was more Mayo's passing that stood out as bad for me.

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: