Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Untd v Swindon match day thread  (Read 38618 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 09:56:20 »

The replay of Crawley at home in the cup (2010) tops it for me.

The original game on the Friday night was the coldest I've ever been!
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 09:57:03 »

Quote from: ron dodgers on Sunday, March 18, 2018, 17:48:18
my goldfish froze in the bowl which was on the window sill in 1963, always had a paraffin heater on the landing, didn't think it did much good (nice smell) - life was cold back then

Did you manage to resus him?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #227 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 10:28:06 »

A few more recent quotes from the Cambridge forum.

Swindon fans think Dunne's shite, incidentally. I'd probably take him over Deegan though, who I'm becoming more frustrated with by the game.

We were bad today, technically, tactically and physically. As at the away game, deeply unimpressed by a very mediocre, just-about-functional Swindon side. How we've lost 5-1 on aggregate to them is a very good way to sum up our season.

Swindon were nothing special but our defending was shaky throughout.

You can’t carry three passengers, especially in Midfield and that’s why we created frig all and made Swindon look a lot better than they are

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 10:46:31 »

Agree with the comments about Accy this year and Crawley a fey years back, which I'm convinced only went ahead because it was on TV. Both absolutely freezing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 10:57:28 »

Cambridge fans could probably do with remembering they've just spent 9 years in the Conference, survived having Lee Power as chairman, and only really flirted with the Stockport, York City fate briefly, despite having Jimmy Quinn and Lingy as gaffers.

Had they won they'd have been 4 points adrift of us. They had 5,000 on Sat, there was about 600 more at the CG when we played them earlier in the season.  That should tell us, there's not a whole world of difference between the clubs.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #230 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 11:29:55 »

Cambridge fans could probably do with remembering they've just spent 9 years in the Conference, survived having Lee Power as chairman, and only really flirted with the Stockport, York City fate briefly, despite having Jimmy Quinn and Lingy as gaffers.

Had they won they'd have been 4 points adrift of us. They had 5,000 on Sat, there was about 600 more at the CG when we played them earlier in the season.  That should tell us, there's not a whole world of difference between the clubs.
I know what you are getting at but TBF we had over 5,500 home fans at that game (they had 4,400 on Saturday) we were in a fairly poor run of home games too.

Even at their height under Beck they were only averaging between 6k and 7k fans at championship level when we were getting 10k regularly.

That still means we are getting 20% bigger crowds than them and always have been. And away we had 70% more travelling supporters.

Also their ground is pretty awful, proper old school bottom division ground with 2 slightly renovated stands and 2 ramshackle stands of dubious design.

Both teams have other league teams similar distances away and though Cambridge has a smaller population the surrounding catchment areas are similar sized, if anything Cambridge has more small/medium sized towns close without clubs (Huntingdon, Newmarket, Ely, Bury St Edmunds, Royston etc).

But its not about who was or is the biggest its about who won, and we won, home and away scoring 5 and conceding only 1 against them, they were on a great run at home with only 3 defeats prior to Saturday and their fans extremely confident pre game so much so that on their forum not 1 person did not predict a home win and all confident of them making the play offs still. Luton could only draw there 2 weeks ago where they limited Luton to 2 shots on target...we had 6.

In all a great win against a Cambridge side not low in confidence pre game, very good at home, a side who had only conceded 3 times in 1 game at home prior to Saturday once previously.

We weren't spectacular, we were workmanlike and wanted to win, got a little fortunate with the penalty but fully deserved a win and made Cambridge look very poor in the process, they offered nothing in attack and defensively they looked a shambles at times never able to cope with our crosses into the box especially from the left.

Try and appreciate the win rather than putting a negative spin on it, let us enjoy it.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 19, 2018, 11:32:14 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 11:35:18 »

Try and appreciate the win rather than putting a negative spin on it, let us enjoy it.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 11:46:36 »

I think PV has hit the nail on the head. In quite number of games this season we’ve heard the same comments from fans of the club we’ve just beaten. ‘Swindon were nothing special, but we were crap’.

Maybe we’re just very good at disrupting other team’s methods of play and our little bit of quality here and there sees us win.

Hence why we’ve been a bit of a win one, lose one side, too.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 11:48:19 »

Highlights up.

That pen was beyond soft. Woolery was just stretching for a ball he’d failed to control.

What the fuck is going on behind that goal, is it a five a side pitch or something?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 11:55:16 »

Both times I saw us against Bolton last season I thought they were shite and they went up fairly comfortably. Same with Burton a few years back - they weren't really 'good' just organised and disciplined.

Both games I've seen Cambridge though they have been dreadful. Possibly the worst strikeforce I've ever seen.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #235 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 11:59:11 »

I think PV has hit the nail on the head. In quite number of games this season we’ve heard the same comments from fans of the club we’ve just beaten. ‘Swindon were nothing special, but we were crap’.

Which is pretty much what we have said after a loss. Robert T is probably right about much of a muchness and small margins.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 12:00:27 »

What the fuck is going on behind that goal, is it a five a side pitch or something?

Yep. The ground has a lot of character but could do with a tidy up, so I assume they've got potential to shift the pitch towards the "new" stand behind that goal if they want to.
Flashheart

« Reply #237 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 12:03:11 »

It's L2. Are we even right to expect 'good'?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 12:13:16 »

It's amazing how some teams harness the positive impacts of winning in shit leagues.  Shows how much of the game is in the head - remember, even no league players were pretty amazing at school ages!  They then go through the next league.  I say amazing, because the drop in standard from each league is pretty big - Prem to Champ is a gulf, Champ to L1 looks obvious, L1 to L2 is bigger than I remember it, and if FGR are an example of what good looked like in the Conference, that must be god awful.

What seems to happen though is that the variation in standard within the League reduces.  So this division is full of crap with only a sprinkling of individuals worthy of better.  The teams that organise best and harness what little individual talent they have do well I guess - Luton.  Our entire campaign has been built off of the fact our Manager thought the forwards we had would do enough to win us more than we lost, which is probably a fair assumption.  We are in the top 5 for goals scored, as well as the bottom 5 or so for goals conceded.  We just didn't get the organisation bit right and the lump it without thought approach pushed us completely into gambling as we never retained possession for long enough to control a game.  We are still close though, precisely because we are built for the gamble to an extent.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 12:16:57 »

Yep. The ground has a lot of character but could do with a tidy up, so I assume they've got potential to shift the pitch towards the "new" stand behind that goal if they want to.

Cheers, its almost as bad as the situation at Carlisle....
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: