Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Untd v Swindon match day thread  (Read 38719 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, March 17, 2018, 19:25:54 »

Just home & warmed up.

The thing that pleased me most today (apart from winning obviously) was the fact that the team spirit so badly lacking last week was back.

After last week I thought the playoffs were gone, we were that bad, but today has given me hope again
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, March 17, 2018, 20:31:01 »

Much better today. Seemed a lot more organised and disciplined than the last few games. Best I've ever seen Dunne play for us, but to be honest they all put a shift in. Cambridge a poor side but take nothing away from a much improved performance. Still not brilliant but at least the playoffs may be in sight again. Brown already seems to have a rappore with the fans
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, March 17, 2018, 20:44:41 »

Much better today. Seemed a lot more organised and disciplined than the last few games. Best I've ever seen Dunne play for us, but to be honest they all put a shift in. Cambridge a poor side but take nothing away from a much improved performance. Still not brilliant but at least the playoffs may be in sight again. Brown already seems to have a rappore with the fans

Because even if he doesn't in truth, he give the impression that he cares about the cause and is believable in delivering that. Unlike probably our last 3 or 4 managers (DF, LW, MC). Dare I say PdC had this trait and got the fans believing again. Some may call it passion and with passion comes the other side; erratic nature and bursts of embarrassment/rage/anger. However, I think we're all due a manager with a bit of passion and isn't just hot air. I think PB is the right man to get us at least moving in the right direction again. Be interesting what our next home gate will be, if we get a result at Exeter.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, March 17, 2018, 20:55:30 »

I still think Phil Brown has one eye on the Sunderland job.

To get anywhere close to the job, he'll need to do well at Town during this small tenure. Demostrating rapport would be up there for PB.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, March 17, 2018, 20:57:31 »

Well, Morecambe at home isn’t the most enticing. Saying that, it is Good Friday but I’d be surprised if it’s more than 6500.

I vowed not to go again this season after Cheltenham, but I’ll relent. New managers need support.

Whatever happens this season, I’m glad Flitcroft has gone. We had no future under him.

As for new managers - keep an eye on Kevin Davies who has worked wonders at Southport.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 17, 2018, 20:59:15 by Audrey's Bellend » Logged
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, March 17, 2018, 21:22:49 »

Because even if he doesn't in truth, he give the impression that he cares about the cause and is believable in delivering that. Unlike probably our last 3 or 4 managers (DF, LW, MC). Dare I say PdC had this trait and got the fans believing again. Some may call it passion and with passion comes the other side; erratic nature and bursts of embarrassment/rage/anger. However, I think we're all due a manager with a bit of passion and isn't just hot air. I think PB is the right man to get us at least moving in the right direction again. Be interesting what our next home gate will be, if we get a result at Exeter.

I think Flitcroft, Cooper and Williams all had passion to win, just didn’t show it in a way visible to fans. Flitcroft and Cooper, it seemed, wanted to win to be able to boost their own egos and stick two fingers up at the fans. Williams always seemed a nice enough guy, but not an extrovert running up and down touchlined. Brown is probably closest in the arm waving stakes to Di Canio.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, March 17, 2018, 23:20:47 »

An enjoyable game in which everyone pulled their weight. Robertson, Dunne and Norris each put in their best performance in a while. Cambridge were solid but unspectacular. On balance we probably weren’t worth a half time lead, but we grew into the game and deserved the win for some disciplined and clinical play.

There were several pluses, not least proof (if it was ever needed) that the impressive Hussey and the outstanding Taylor can comfortably play together.

Cambridge had won the majority of their 18 home games and had only conceded 13 in the process. A useful early reminder that there’s plenty to play for, and that we most certainly don’t need our old chum ‘Flitters’ to help us achieve it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #187 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 10:14:33 »

I still think Phil Brown has one eye on the Sunderland job.

Previously.....

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/874210/Next-Sunderland-Manager-Phil-Brown-Southend-EFL-Championship

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/11/02/michael-bridges-against-phil-brown-becoming-sunderland-manager/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 10:21:23 »

An enjoyable game in which everyone pulled their weight. Robertson, Dunne and Norris each put in their best performance in a while. Cambridge were solid but unspectacular. On balance we probably weren’t worth a half time lead, but we grew into the game and deserved the win for some disciplined and clinical play.

There were several pluses, not least proof (if it was ever needed) that the impressive Hussey and the outstanding Taylor can comfortably play together.

Cambridge had won the majority of their 18 home games and had only conceded 13 in the process. A useful early reminder that there’s plenty to play for, and that we most certainly don’t need our old chum ‘Flitters’ to help us achieve it.
I would agree with all of that although that keeper scares the life out of me. I wonder if PB can get someone out of retirement (along the lines of Mark Schwarzer perhaps). That position needs to be addressed because it will cost us if not.

Other than that though, a really good hard working performance in which every player did their bit. If I was picking the team, Mullin would be the first name on the team sheet every time. I love the way he plays, I would like to think it's how I would have played when I was younger if I was any good.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 10:26:10 »

I would agree with all of that although that keeper scares the life out of me. I wonder if PB can get someone out of retirement (along the lines of Mark Schwarzer perhaps). That position needs to be addressed because it will cost us if not.

Other than that though, a really good hard working performance in which every player did their bit. If I was picking the team, Mullin would be the first name on the team sheet every time. I love the way he plays, I would like to think it's how I would have played when I was younger if I was any good.
Has it actually been confirmed anywhere that we can't recall Vigs?

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 10:27:31 »

I thought I had read that somewhere but I could be wrong. If we can get him back I'd do it immediately.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 10:30:38 »

Apparently, the conditions of an international loan, which Vigs is, a call back is not allowed.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #192 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 10:32:05 »

As usual here are a few posts from the Cambridge forum about yesterday.

Poor game. Swindon won it easily without having to play well.

That was properly cold. Can't recall colder. Think Swindon might win the play offs.

What a bunch of cheating, diving, time-wasting bastards Swindon were and the ref fell for it every time. They did, however, deserve to win and closed and pressed us well.

One thing i learnt today,James Dunne twice the player of Gary Sideways Deegan

Really? Thought sideways Dunne looked ordinary as he often was for us. Can see why he’s been in and out of their team.

Dunne absolutely battered Deegan in the middle of the park today.

And Matt Taylor has an absolute wand. That free kick for their 2nd was class. But it was still offside.

Credit to Swindon, they closed us down quickly with a high press which stifled the diamond. Not sure why we didn’t change it up a lot earlier as we’d clearly been out thought from the start. Phil Brown in his pre match interview told the press exactly how we would play and set up.

fully deserved win for Swindon.

Although we made it very easy for them, Swindon were better all over the pitch – solid in defence, quick to close us down and dangerous on the break. With the exception of their goalkeeper early on, they adapted to the conditions far better than we did.

Congratulations to Phil Brown, someone the board should've and most probably could've got in the door by now. Did an absolute number on Joe Dunne today, and therein lies the huge difference between them.

Though Swindon were nothing special they knew how to push out when needed unlike us as we were far too deep.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 10:37:23 »

Some fair points there. Always interesting to see the 'oppo's' views - thanks for posting JJ, I couldn't find a decent Cambridge forum.

Just a quick mention for the weather. That has to have been the second coldest game I have ever been to, the coldest being Fulham away in the Cup in Jan '87. Yesterday pushed it damned close though, the saving grace being that we were under cover with a bit of shelter whereas Fulham at the time was open terrace.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 10:37:42 »

It really is amazing how many teams are branded cheating, diving bastards after winning a game.

We are no different to every other team. Wycombe may top that particular league, though.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: