Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Untd v Swindon match day thread  (Read 38718 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 14:35:48 »

It was baltic that night. Shocking performance aswell.
Notts County away the Friday before Christmas when Andy King came back just after Diamandis, Holt et al forced out Donegan and Blatchley and Roy Evans walked. The coldest my left knee has ever been
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 14:49:34 »

Best I've ever seen Dunne play for us, but to be honest they all put a shift in.

To be fair he could stick to what he does best, tackle & win the ball back and give it to someone else to be creative. Because we had three others in midfield that could do that he always had an option, unlike previous games when all he could do is pass it back to Robertson, who is probably the one other outfield player that is worse on the ball.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 14:52:16 »

The game against Orient in the Cup at the CG that was abandoned because the pitch apparently started to freeze during the game. Except that it was already frozen at the start, I remember Gittens trying on several pairs of boots before the game & running in front of the Shrivvy Road & trying to stop. He looked like Bambi on ice.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 15:11:53 »

Did PB give any update on the current injury situation? Just wondering if McDermott or Linganzi are due back & whether or not there is an outside chance of Preston or Conroy returning before the end of the season?

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 15:20:22 »

The daddy of cold will always be STFC v QPR in early 63.  The last time we had a proper winter.  Snow was shovelled off by fans, and piled into 4 foot banks, a veneer of snow was left to keep out the frost, then a dusting of sand was applied, lines were painted blue and Town wore basketball boots, to keep upright.

We won 5-0. I was young at the time, somehow you didn't notice the cold.... living in houses with no central heating, you got used to having ice form on the inside of the windows.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 15:23:52 »

Remember v Barnet in the JPT area final (I think) on a cold Tues/Weds night about 6 years ago. Yeah must've been because it was the year we played Chesterfield in the Final proper...anyway. That was a bloody cold night. Was well wrapped up but the knees caps definitely felt like they'd chip off!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 17:48:18 »

.... living in houses with no central heating, you got used to having ice form on the inside of the windows.

my goldfish froze in the bowl which was on the window sill in 1963, always had a paraffin heater on the landing, didn't think it did much good (nice smell) - life was cold back then
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 18:05:41 »

Anyone with spare funds after Cheltenham Week might fancy a few quid on us to finish top 3.

A very tasty 14/1. Not likely but not exactly out of the question.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 18:33:40 »

Anyone with spare funds after Cheltenham Week might fancy a few quid on us to finish top 3.

A very tasty 14/1. Not likely but not exactly out of the question.

Oh AB, don't tempt me with that kind of odds! I've already got a perm of 4 relegation trebles with West Ham, Sunderland, Crewe & Orient. West Ham so unsettled the fans probably want them to go down to a) Prove some kind of point. b) Try to oust the board. Sunderland are looking likely to go. Crewe are on a downward spiral . That's my most realistic outcome. Orient look ok but teams below have GiH so if that got squeezed they'd and they lost a couple even they'd be looking at a couple points above the Conference drop zone!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 18:44:07 »

Quote from: Posh Red
The game against Orient in the Cup at the CG that was abandoned because the pitch apparently started to freeze during the game. Except that it was already frozen at the start, I remember Gittens trying on several pairs of boots before the game & running in front of the Shrivvy Road & trying to stop. He looked like Bambi on ice.
definitely the coldest I've ever been in my life.

and they charged us for the rearranged game, though it wasn't a full priced Power job.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 20:32:22 »

The replay of Crawley at home in the cup (2010) tops it for me.

Yep, was at that game, had a thermal vest, leggings and two pairs of thermal socks, was still frozen.
An awful game and result to boot.

That's the last time I was in the Town End.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 20:59:16 »

my goldfish froze in the bowl which was on the window sill in 1963, always had a paraffin heater on the landing, didn't think it did much good (nice smell) - life was cold back then

The odd paraffin heater helped ensure the pipes didn't freeze.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 21:25:24 »

my nan used paraffin heaters pretty much up to her death in her 90s. I'm amazed she didn't set anything/herself alight.

Guess she'd done it all her life. Good knows where she got it, the (boom boom boom boom, Esso Blue) dispensing machine disappeared long before she did.
Flashheart

« Reply #223 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 21:34:38 »

I'm old enough to remember the good old days of hot water bottles. Those things were a godsend.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 22:40:38 »

Some fair points there. Always interesting to see the 'oppo's' views - thanks for posting JJ, I couldn't find a decent Cambridge forum.

Just a quick mention for the weather. That has to have been the second coldest game I have ever been to, the coldest being Fulham away in the Cup in Jan '87. Yesterday pushed it damned close though, the saving grace being that we were under cover with a bit of shelter whereas Fulham at the time was open terrace.

You didn't go to Accrington Stanley then ?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: