Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ‘Who Wants to Live Forever’  (Read 6938 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 20:31:12 »

Well, maybe not forever, but apparently 1 in 6 of us alive now will live to be 100.

Not sure I fancy that much, tbh. I’d rather pop off at, say, 75 with all faculties intact then be a urine stenched bag of bones for another 25 years.

There are, of course, many 75+ who are dandy, I just don’t think I’d be one of them.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 20:33:10 »

Fuck me, i’ll see 50 as a decent innings.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 20:38:17 »

I'm knackered already and not even half way yet  Smiley
Flashheart

« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 20:39:05 »

To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens: It's not so much that we're told we have to leave the party, but we know the party is continuing without us.

We're just 2 or 3 generations away from some serious space exploration, and I won't be around to see it. That irks me. I don't necessarily want to live forever, but I at least want a choice of when I have to get off the ride. I have no say in the matter, though.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 20:43:53 »

To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens: It's not so much that we're told we have to leave the party, but we know the party is continuing without us.

We're just 2 or 3 generations away from some serious space exploration, and I won't be around to see it. That irks me. I don't necessarily want to live forever, but I at least want a choice of when I have to get off the ride. I have no say in the matter, though.
That’s not strictly true, though. Obviously not knowing your lifestyle, you could stop drinking, smoking and lose weight.

Giving up the blindfold mountaineering should also help.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 07:28:11 »

I think we get recycled to have multiple goes at this life business.

So may yet be a case of "smoke me a kipper" prior to going into stasis for that mission to explore Alpha Centauri.  Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Flashheart

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 07:45:27 »

That’s not strictly true, though. Obviously not knowing your lifestyle, you could stop drinking, smoking and lose weight.

Giving up the blindfold mountaineering should also help.

That's sort of missing the point. I might be able to extend my life by being healthy, but I'm still mortal.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 08:11:40 »

Well as of Feb 21st this year I have outlived Shakespeare who died on his 52nd birthday, and with my health thats a result!

I would be happy getting to 75 in all honesty.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 08:32:59 »

Its amazing, but as you get closer and push past these milestones your outlook unsurprising changes.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 08:40:53 »

Its amazing, but as you get closer and push past these milestones your outlook unsurprising changes.
It does indeed.

My next goal is to beat Linda Lovelace, Ivan the Terrible, Vivien Leigh and John Denver who all only made it to 53 Smiley

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 08:42:01 »

Does anybody watch the comedy Mum? Only there was a very pertinent bit from the grandad on that.

Looking at his Mrs, who was asleep in the chair in the middle of the day  it went something like "what's the point in running, eating well and not drinking just to get 10 more years. Who wants 10 more years of that.."
==
My body is already creaking and frustrating me at what I can and can't do. But I'll happily try to live for ever if you can freeze my mental and physical state where it is now...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 09:09:51 »

It does indeed.

My next goal is to beat Linda Lovelace, Ivan the Terrible, Vivien Leigh and John Denver who all only made it to 53 Smiley
My goal is to keep pace with and stay one year behind 'Peter Venkman' ! :-)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 09:30:28 »

My goal is to keep pace with and stay one year behind 'Peter Venkman' ! :-)
Challenge accepted! Cheesy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 09:50:52 »

I'd rather die a bit younger and not have to have my kids see me turn into a cabbage than exist for a few extra years. Seen people live longer than they would have years ago but it doesn't seem worth it. It's not a life they have, it's miserable for them and their loved ones.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:02:02 »

I'd rather die a bit younger and not have to have my kids see me turn into a cabbage
My kids have had that with me for years now.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: