Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Cheltenham Match Day Thread  (Read 32348 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #195 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 12:56:53 »

I'm of the opinion that the management is ultimately pointless at the moment. Our injury list is so bad, particularly defensively, that everything else just compounds a bigger issue.

We're conceding 2-3 goals a game routinely because we're playing with our 4th, 5th and 6th CBs, 2nd choice FBs and a goalkeeper who was released from Barrow.

If we have a mentally fit Vigs/RCC and can pick a back 5 that includes Lancs, Preston, Conroy and Hussey more often than not, we're in the automatic race. Robertson is possibly the worst CB to have played regularly for us in my lifetime.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 13:01:17 »

Hard to disagree Panda, though part of me doesn't want to admit it to myself. 10 conceded in 4 league games backs up your thoughts.

Don't want to leave it too long mind, got to start building for next season whatever happens.

On the plus side, its funny watching the Pox sweat after sliding down the league in 7 managerless weeks. don't think they'll go down, unfortunately.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 13:02:34 »

I'm of the opinion that the management is ultimately pointless at the moment. Our injury list is so bad, particularly defensively, that everything else just compounds a bigger issue.

We're conceding 2-3 goals a game routinely because we're playing with our 4th, 5th and 6th CBs, 2nd choice FBs and a goalkeeper who was released from Barrow.

If we have a mentally fit Vigs/RCC and can pick a back 5 that includes Lancs, Preston, Conroy and Hussey more often than not, we're in the automatic race. Robertson is possibly the worst CB to have played regularly for us in my lifetime.

Maybe pointless for this season, but an opportunity to take stock of the available players in the squad, and then make sure recruitment is done ready for the pre-season friendlies.

I'm assuming that Flitters will take Mansfield up then he'll look to sign up Preston, Hussey and Banks for The Stags.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 14:56:45 »

As much as injuries have created a problem, we are not far from being able to out a similar team to very early in the season, where we were wining one and losing one still.  I think the 3-5-2 was stumbled upon and then made to look like it was a super tactical switch, it has begun to unravel as it really shouldn't be about shoving three players out to play centre half.

I'd revert the current available players back to a four at the back, which is what they'll be more used to anyway.  As Reg often points out - at this level keeping it simple works best.  He also pointed out a while back that a back three works with a ball player, it does not work when you just throw defenders on in numbers.  What we see is a complete lack of understanding at times - on where they need to be positioned and who is responsible for what.  Hoddle, McLaren and Culverhouse all worked in the role in the middle because they were not there primarily to defend, although Culverhouse clearly could.  Same with Thompson more recently - his job was to burst into the midfield, and we didn't then also have a Dunne in front of them, cluttering it up even more.

So, I think some management could help here, just making it all easy for them.  On the whole, they are no worse than more than a couple of the teams in this league, even with the injuries.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 15:17:20 »

The 3 at the back was tried after the Luton fiasco, we beat Notts, and had a run of 4 or 5 games mostly winning apart from Cov, who we by most accounts outplayed. 

So trying it and sticking with it was not really a problem, until losing your 2 first pick centre halves. It's true we're no worse, but we're also not much better..... over a season it's the fine margins which aggregate.

Going with 3 also provided a chance for Knoyle, to show if he's up to it, after an injury lay off.  Jury out on him.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #200 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 15:29:36 »

Going with 3 also provided a chance for Knoyle, to show if he's up to it, after an injury lay off.  Jury out on him.
I think Knoyle is a far better option than Gordon, better defending and far better attacking and he can cross a ball, I have seen all of his games for us and almost all Gordons and I think Knoyle is far better.

Hes better than Barry last season but he has to be allowed to run at defenders which playing at right back in a 4 Purkiss does better.

Knoyle could be played at right wing with Purkiss behind him in a flat 4.

I still don't think Robertson is good enough though and even Darren Ward and Brian Borrows, both much older, had more pace than him but they could read the game better.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 15:43:06 »

I think Knoyle is a far better option than Gordon, better defending and far better attacking and he can cross a ball, I have seen all of his games for us and almost all Gordons and I think Knoyle is far better.

Hes better than Barry last season but he has to be allowed to run at defenders which playing at right back in a 4 Purkiss does better.

Knoyle could be played at right wing with Purkiss behind him in a flat 4.

I still don't think Robertson is good enough though and even Darren Ward and Brian Borrows, both much older, had more pace than him but they could read the game better.

Re Robertson, think he was Flitters first signing.  Obviously brought in as an experienced squad man... who knows Div 4.

He probably wanted to look at Conroy to see if he was good enough, and when Deon went lame, he drafted in Preston as it was obvious Robertson wouldn't manage 46 games.  However, over the course of the season, you need players as cover, who maybe won't start every game but you can rely upon, to give you something if they do.  Ideally you want better, but when you're in Div 4 with a reasonably limited budget, quality is hard to find. 

Not sure if he's a 1 or 2 year deal...
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 16:18:26 »

Maybe pointless for this season, but an opportunity to take stock of the available players in the squad, and then make sure recruitment is done ready for the pre-season friendlies.

I'm assuming that Flitters will take Mansfield up then he'll look to sign up Preston, Hussey and Banks for The Stags.

As the transfer window closes early from next season then we cant really leave it until the end of the season as a manager (or head coach) will need to know what he (or she) has got and where needs to be strengthened
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 16:31:46 »

As the transfer window closes early from next season then we cant really leave it until the end of the season as a manager (or head coach) will need to know what he (or she) has got and where needs to be strengthened

True, whoever is in charge for the end of season needs to be in charge for next season.  We should be in betters shape than last season, insofar as we have a core of players who are OK for Div 4.  A lot depends on contract length, which I lost track of in the summer because of the quantity. The new man/woman needs to augment what we've got with some a bit better, as we're a bit short of promotion class.  Going to be difficult as Power will likely trim the wage bill as lower income will kick in.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Monday, March 12, 2018, 17:09:52 »

Yeah yeah...

You were probably cheering as he trudged off..
Nope,      Can't agree with that, not with him or any other player. Certainly not going to improve his confidence.  If a player is just not good enough,  then he's just not good enough,  as long as he gives 100% that's good enough for me. He is a trier, but unfortunately at the moment just seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: