Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This spy malarkey.  (Read 48197 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #15 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 19:41:20 »

I think you've been watching too much of the walking dead.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 19:54:27 »

So you think coppers should not try to help somebody if they don't know who they are?

Sorry mate, not going to do cpr on you until i have found your driving licence!
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 19:58:47 »

Sorry mate, not going to do cpr on you until i have found your driving licence!

How many times did you check for ID before saving lives, eh? EH?

How irresponsible!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:07:38 »

A copper is being, err, naive by trying to help a member of the public that's clearly in distress?

*naive error

Not just a member of the public though is he? To you, I or most of the Salisbury public - Yes. Not to the police or gov though. When LVNA are used the "poisoned" would not appear in clear distress as they have generally been administered via liquid or particulate (powdered Novichok-5 for example) form. A C2 Kit & HazMats are likely to have been used to detect but simple M8 Paper could have been used as a cursory measure before contact resuscitation. If it was a vapour based VNA then yes they would appear in clear distress but the poisoned would not have likely made it out of the house. Vapour based effects happen very quickly once exposed.

Of course, I'm just making this shit up.

For the record...I do watch way too much of The Walking Dead  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:08:52 »

It used to be so much more civilised during the Soviet era....

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/16073451.Cold_war_spy_who_went_to_school_in_Swindon/
Think Georgi Markov might beg to differ. Or would have done if he hadn't been murdered in a similarly brutal and exotic fashion. Also a "statement" assassination.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:12:34 »

Ah, the old umbrella job.

My other ‘favourite’ was God’s Banker who the Mafia hung up under Blackfriars Bridge.
Flashheart

« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:28:38 »

Not just a member of the public though is he?

Yes, he was. He was just a member of the public. Very much so. He was very much a member of the public, that's exactly what he was. A member of the public. At least to the copper he was. And the paramedics.

Do you expect every copper to be trained to remember the faces off all the people that may or may not be criminals or spies? I'm sure they'll be told from time to time to "Watch out for this bloke", but just how much do you expect the average copper to absorb?

What about the average citizen that's having a cardiac arrest and looks a bit similar to some bloke that was a spy in the 80s? Best get ID first?
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:39:58 »

Yes, he was. He was just a member of the public. Very much so. He was very much a member of the public, that's exactly what he was. A member of the public. At least to the copper he was. And the paramedics.

Do you expect every copper to be trained to remember the faces off all the people that may or may not be criminals or spies? I'm sure they'll be told from time to time to "Watch out for this bloke", but just how much do you expect the average copper to absorb?

What about the average citizen that's having a cardiac arrest and looks a bit similar to some bloke that was a spy in the 80s? Best get ID first?

As I said. The poisoned, which i'm certain in this case, would not have been in visible distress. Either "zoned out" or "daydream" paralysis state, or on the floor possibly collapsed but still maintaining a pulse. FWIW, you don't know my background or have any knowledge of what I may have done or worked as in the past. That's ok, you clearly know so much more than me and have all the intel. I'll leave it to you.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Flashheart

« Reply #23 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:56:09 »

Oh for the sake of fuck.

I'm off to bed, I can't even be bothered to find a gif.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:56:30 »

Very risky method, though. It’s bad enough - diplomatically - to carry out a state sponsored assassination by shooting. To endanger the wider public using a nerve agent is extreme.
Yes it is extreme. That's the point. Sends a very effective message to those who may be thinking of doing the same as he did and as Litvinienko did - "the British cannot protect you". Risky? To the individuals handling the nerve agent maybe. But not to Russsia. Our limp-wristed response to both Litvinienko and (inevitably) to this one tells the Russians they have carte blanche.

What was that stuff used to kill matey’s half brother at Kuala Lumpur airport?
VX. Already been ruled out in this case according to "BBC sources" quoted on Radio 4 this morning, along with Sarin
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:59:56 »

I find it ridiculous that Boris Johnson thinks removing suited delegates from this years World Cup in Russia, is enough to deter them from doing this again. That's it Boris, you tell them. They must be pissing themselves - with laughter.
To be fair to Boris (and it's not often you'll find me saying that), our ability to act seriously against the Russians disappeared up the swanny when Blair and Brown decided to sell London to the Russian kleptocracy in return for all the dirty money they'd stolen which the City and high-end London property did such a good job of laundering for them. We swallowed their cancer whole and if we want rid of it now, London's economy (which is a large portion of the UK economy) might  not survive the operation to cut it out
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 21:49:52 »

You have to admire the Russian's ability to hold a grudge.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 22:39:49 »

As I said. The poisoned, which i'm certain in this case, would not have been in visible distress. Either "zoned out" or "daydream" paralysis state, or on the floor possibly collapsed but still maintaining a pulse. FWIW, you don't know my background or have any knowledge of what I may have done or worked as in the past. That's ok, you clearly know so much more than me and have all the intel. I'll leave it to you.

You know a lot about this stuff - was it you ?
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 22:48:10 »

I wasn't in Marseille, but some of my friends were.

They met a group of Russians - before the trouble started - and were having a great, friendly time together.
When the Russians left, they stopped and told my friends to be careful - said that Putin was sending over the military dressed as football hooligans to do a job on the English.

They also said that it was the start of a programme of humiliation. They see Britain as a country that talks but doesn't walk, and that Russia can make great political capital out of taking the piss.

Based on that, this would be just the start.
So we may be faced with a big decision in the not too distant future.
Unless of course the guys were bullshitting.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 23:31:36 »

To be fair to Boris (and it's not often you'll find me saying that), our ability to act seriously against the Russians disappeared up the swanny when Blair and Brown decided to sell London to the Russian kleptocracy in return for all the dirty money they'd stolen which the City and high-end London property did such a good job of laundering for them. We swallowed their cancer whole and if we want rid of it now, London's economy (which is a large portion of the UK economy) might  not survive the operation to cut it out

That's a fair call.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: