Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This spy malarkey.  (Read 48206 times)
Flashheart

« on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 16:48:59 »

I know innocent people have been caught up in it, but still. There's a fuck ton of people out and about right now doing all sorts of Bondesque spying stuff.

Fascinating, innit?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 16:56:05 »

What I don’t understand is why didn’t the killer(s) just shoot them.

If 20 odd members of the public have been affected it must have been fucking dangerous for the hitmen.

Time to go, Sergei!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 16:56:16 »

I know innocent people have been caught up in it, but still. There's a fuck ton of people out and about right now doing all sorts of Bondesque spying stuff.

Fascinating, innit?

Indeed. Russia loves a bit of espionage. From Novichok, with love.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:15:33 »

Because this way sends a message, like Litvienenko - if you betray the KGB (because let's face it, this is still the KGB, no matter what the rebranding), you will never be safe, we will hunt you and your family down, even years after you think you are safe, even when you think you have found refuge and we will wipe you out. Which coincidentally is the line being parrotted by Russian state TV:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sergei-skripal-traitors-are-not-safe-on-british-soil-says-russia-skripal-putin-poison-57dmcndzz

For anyone for whom the assassination attempt was too subtle.
Flashheart

« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:17:00 »

Good question.

There's all sorts of possibilities. Maybe it's some sort of message? Perhaps guns/ammo are easier to trace? I dunno, I can only guess, but they would surely have had a very good reason to choose that specific method.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:23:21 »

Very risky method, though. It’s bad enough - diplomatically - to carry out a state sponsored assassination by shooting. To endanger the wider public using a nerve agent is extreme.

What was that stuff used to kill matey’s half brother at Kuala Lumpur airport?
Flashheart

« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:27:55 »

I'm guessing it didn't go according to plan, or at least not as smoothly as they were hoping it would.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:29:34 »

I find it ridiculous that Boris Johnson thinks removing suited delegates from this years World Cup in Russia, is enough to deter them from doing this again. That's it Boris, you tell them. They must be pissing themselves - with laughter.

'Incessant Nonsense'

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:30:36 »

I'm guessing it didn't go according to plan, or at least not as smoothly as they were hoping it would.
Well, that’s them fucked then!
Flashheart

« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:34:11 »

Everything about BJ's comments said: "Look at how much I love the British people. Nothing to do with the upcoming election, honest!"
Flashheart

« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:39:11 »

Because this way sends a message, like Litvienenko - if you betray the KGB (because let's face it, this is still the KGB, no matter what the rebranding), you will never be safe, we will hunt you and your family down, even years after you think you are safe, even when you think you have found refuge and we will wipe you out. Which coincidentally is the line being parrotted by Russian state TV:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sergei-skripal-traitors-are-not-safe-on-british-soil-says-russia-skripal-putin-poison-57dmcndzz

For anyone for whom the assassination attempt was too subtle.

Haven't some of his family died in suspicious circumstances as well?

I reckon it'll be something like: "OK, this time, let EVERYBODY know it was us, but don't tell anybody it was us"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:57:31 »

It used to be so much more civilised during the Soviet era....

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/16073451.Cold_war_spy_who_went_to_school_in_Swindon/
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 19:29:09 »

Yes they have. His wife died of cancer, a short time after they arrived in the UK and his son "died" on a recent trip to guess where - Russia.

They have fucked up because the case now complicates a U.K Public Service worker (and potentially more). Not as smooth as they would have liked. However the U.K have fucked up the case too because on arrival at the scene, the officer should have been getting a positive I.D before attempting any kind of resuscitation. I'm certain forces are briefed on a future potential attack of someone living in refuge. Especially that of a former spy. Before anyone gets all "don't be ridiculous" on me, I can understand why the officer in question did assist but this will be seen as naive err, especially where damage limitation comes in to play. The U.K nor Russian would want the embarrassment of a dead Public Service worker, on their hands. The public obviously would not be aware but in the interests of safety and security, any force members should have been aware of this guy. Basically it's a bigger mess than it needs to be.

Of course - To remove any question of doubt. I obviously make this shit up.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Flashheart

« Reply #13 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 19:38:40 »

the officer should have been getting a positive I.D before attempting any kind of resuscitation

So you think coppers should not try to help somebody if they don't know who they are?
Flashheart

« Reply #14 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 19:40:36 »

I can understand why the officer in question did assist but this will be seen as naive err, especially where damage limitation comes in to play.

A copper is being, err, naive by trying to help a member of the public that's clearly in distress?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: