Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread.  (Read 156730 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #645 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 18:53:17 »

Jerel was a poor man's Titus Bramble.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #646 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 19:51:35 »

Jerel's ability decline exponentially with every extra second he was given to think.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 20:24:10 »

Bit harsh. We’d take him in a heartbeat now and he served the club well. Always seemed a good bloke too.
bilko

Ignore
« Reply #648 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 20:26:48 »

Ifil always good for a penalty is what I remember of him
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 20:33:46 »

Bit harsh. We’d take him in a heartbeat now and he served the club well. Always seemed a good bloke too.
Completely agree, prone to the odd mistake but always liked him and he would run rings round most of our current defence
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #650 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 21:06:19 »

I can remember playing Bristol City at home in 2004_5 and Jerel had Leroy Lita in his back pocket. A bit like Nathan Thompson he was guilty of rash tackles to pick up red cards from which the suspensions would undo his form and fitness. Dennis Wise got Jerel fit and focused at the start of 2006/7 and was his best season since 2003/4.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #651 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 21:13:57 »

I meant it in an endearing way, I liked him.  He just struggled if he had time to think about anything.  It;s why he was better with a good experienced defender who could talk him through the game.  He actually had his best games when he had to man mark someone - no need to think about anything other than being near a player, just tackle, head and get rid.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 21:26:10 »

I meant it in an endearing way, I liked him.  He just struggled if he had time to think about anything.  It;s why he was better with a good experienced defender who could talk him through the game.  He actually had his best games when he had to man mark someone - no need to think about anything other than being near a player, just tackle, head and get rid.
This. As mentioned in another comment he man marked Lita out of the game on more than one occasion. Did the same to Leon Knight & Wayne Andrews. Could never seem to handle Nathan Tyson though!

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #653 on: Friday, March 16, 2018, 06:55:15 »

He was quality in that promotion season. Was well chuffed when he scored that goal to get us promoted. What a bizarre game that was
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #654 on: Friday, March 16, 2018, 09:45:31 »

Jerel was a poor man's Titus Bramble.

This ^^^^

Followed the same trait of being bloody good with a fellow CB next to him to tell him where to stand and when to move, less so if left to think for himself.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 16, 2018, 11:10:36 by horlock07 » Logged
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #655 on: Friday, March 16, 2018, 10:47:55 »

Agree with the comments about his man-marking ability - one thing you generally could rely on him to do well. He made mistakes but was a decent enough defender and I don't think people were as harsh on him at the time as they are now.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #656 on: Friday, March 16, 2018, 12:28:57 »

Back to the original subject of the new manager.....

A question was asked on the Southend forum from a Town fan about Browns style of management and TBF the reply seems to be quite optimistic for us.

I don't think you'll see the best of Brown this season, he didn't do much when he came here mid season and needed transfer window and pre season to put his mark on the team. A lot of our fans don't like Brown but his record here was very good, apart from this season, he improved our league position every year.

Phil does put a lot of emphasis on defence and you will hear the phrase "clean sheet mentality" a lot! He is not like Alladyce in his long ball and percentage play though, our previous manager Paul Sturrock was much more that kind of manager. Phil very much likes to keep possession but this can be a bit backwards and sideways at times and his teams can be a bit slow getting the ball up the pitch. Last season we played some lovely football and I honestly think he brought in the players to do that this season but was let down with the state of our pitch and injuries (one criticism levelled at PB is that he has signed a lot of injury prone players). Overall I'd say he's a very good manager at this level, I'd back you to be successful under him if he's there next season i'll have a bet on you going up.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #657 on: Friday, March 16, 2018, 13:13:21 »

Phil very much likes to keep possession but this can be a bit backwards and sideways at times and his teams can be a bit slow getting the ball up the pitch.

So we can enjoy the return of the "FORWARDDD" brigade then
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #658 on: Friday, March 16, 2018, 17:54:40 »

A few more things from Saarfend fans, most of it sounds pretty good actually.

Agree with RO on the first bit, you won't see an immediate impact IMO. He needs a pre season and his own stamp on things before you notice any real change. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the start of his first full season here. We seemed to play a bit of football and was a real change from what we had seen at the time. We slightly changed to a more direct style after a poor run and this became his main style throughout his time here.

I disagree with RO on the second, as I actually think his style is pretty much hoof percentage football but it was effective for most of his time here so I'd say give him a chance. If you can get a decent target man in your side (Barry Corr) then you'll certainly have a chance of promotion under him. Last season when the team were flying was probably some of the most entertaining football I've seen so he can get his teams to play no doubt. You'll also rarely see the other team outwork you as for the most part a PB team are workmanlike.

He's also had his fair share of critics here, and rightly so. Banished our club captain Adam Barrett, fell out with numerous players, had training ground bust ups, changing room bust ups, you name it, he's had a go at it. You can also forget getting past the first round of any cup competition you enter as well.

I'd say his main weaknesses are not having a plan b, a marmite style man-management, can't keep his mouth shut and paying too much attention to the opposition. Oh, and he loves himself.

Overall though, you could do a lot worse than PB put it that way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He done bloody well while he was here ,Injuries and Nile Ranger caused his downfall this season, Give him a preseason to get his own team and im positive you will be in the promotion chasing next season. Yes he speaks his mind sometimes to his own detriment im afraid, but you certainly will improve under him and hopefully be in league 1 after next season, shame of it is though we will be in the championship.You want a decent target man come after MAF at our club ,he maybe old but plays like hes in his mid 20s not mid 30s ,dosent score a lot off goals though ,but is very clever.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The chances are he will come in and your players will do the 'new manager got to impress him' dance. There's not long to go to the end of the season so he just might get you over the play-offs line, failing that you will have a very near miss attempt. Before this season started most of us thought he had put together a squad capable of an auto place to the Championship, our Chairman certainly did as he backed Brown to the hilt financially. Last season, as other have said, we played some delightful stuff at times but we still contrived to blow it at the end.

Long term Injuries and behind the scenes stuff did for him here this season. For whatever reason certain players didn't hit it off with him and eventually the squad's form suffered. Give him a little time and he will get you out of the swamp that is FL2, but he is the nearest thing to marmite man I have ever seen at Southend.
I very rarely felt we played long ball football under PB. Sometimes we mixed it up a little. This season we went a little bit more direct, but that was mainly due to the pitch at RH.

If anything, we overplayed on the ground and gave the ball away in tight areas or where we could be counter-attacked.

We also scored some wonderful goals playing neat passing football. I can think of many like that, but hardly any where we lumped it up to someone.

I also think it was a myth that we sat back. Yes, at times we would come under pressure, so it would look like we had chosen to go defensive, but in essence we tried to play on the front foot.

If you have the players that fit a hard working passing system and the pitch is OK at Swindon, you might be pleasantly surprised that the style of football will be more entertaining than you think and I definitely wouldn't rule out the play-offs. They really are up for grabs for anyone in the top half of the division.
The negatives are

1) His man management. According to people on here he seemed to fall out with a fair few players who then got shipped out never to be seen again.
2) When the chips are down it all seemed to fall apart. I remember commenting on how Preston fans said that once the bad form hit he could not stop it, this seemed evident with us too. The long spells of bad form happened in each of our league one seasons.
3) Can sometimes forget his teams strengths to focus on the oppositions weaknesses. Sometimes this worked, often we ended up losing a game we really should have won.

The positives are

1) He can build a team that works hard and has the ability to play some decent football.
2) When the team is on a roll he seems very good at keeping that roll going, such as the form we had at the end of our promotion winning season. The Morecambe game aside (An example of forgetting our strengths) we did so well, even taking our form in to the play offs.!

A side note

People often say he signs old injured players, he did for us, however I’m not sure how much of that was down to him. I’m not privy to any inside information so it could have been all him but I always felt like despite the backing of our chairman, to a certain extent he still had one hand tied behind his back. Will be interesting to see what players he signs if he does stay on past this season.
He definitely favoured the experienced players over the untried but he brought in players like Coker who is now captain and helped to develop Leonard in to a commanding midfield player.
Pretty much agree with all of that. Looking at it objectively, he got us promoted but never set the world alight. But for some accurate pens and saves from Dan B, it could easily be us still in Lge 2 and Wycombe in our spot. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Swindon.
What we think of PB won't make any difference he's only signed for 10 games so Swindon can decide for themselves. Looking at the table, Swindon have conceded more than anyone else in the top half but as they point out that's mainly to do with injuries.

We are only in L1 because back in 2015 we won 7 games in a row in the month of April without conceding a goal. He hardly has much time to change things but If PB gets them in the play-offs then good luck to them.

If he stays for next season its worth remembering that his budget with us in L2 was less then half of what Di Canio had when he won L2.

Forget Allardyce we didn't play long ball football, in fact far to often we over passed in the last third and we weren't very good at set pieces, defending or attacking.

What you will get from PB is 100% commitment and a genuine respect for the fans. He may well dress smart and look the part but one thing he has not forgot is his journey up. He did play over 600 games, starting at Hartlepool and Halifax where he used to have to work as an electrician in the afternoons and evenings. You won't find many fans unhappy with anything he did regards the community or for charity etc.

Yes he fell out with one or two but he certainly doesn't suffer fools and cheats. We have had far to many of them at Southend over the years so I had no problem with him moving people on. Not one of them has proved PB wrong so far.

If you miss out this year and he stays I might have a little flutter on Swindon next season.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 16, 2018, 18:04:35 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #659 on: Friday, March 16, 2018, 19:09:38 »

So, arguments, injuries, can't get past first round of cups. Sounds like he'll slot right in and may be slightly less direct than DF was.

Think it sounds OK to be honest, given its short term. Why drastically change a team and style that got us 11 games within the playoffs.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45   Go Up
Print
Jump to: