Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 45   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread.  (Read 156721 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 11:35:26 »

I have some sympathy with Power here.  You can see the carrot dangling in front of Power's nose Reg, we are outside the playoffs on goal difference. Writing off this season's budget right now would be madness.

He has 10 weeks to implement permanent boss search, should Brown go. Its imperative he's in a position to move as soon as Brown makes his decision (if he has one).

It should be apparent in the next 3 or 4 games, post Easter, whether we are capable of making the playoffs or not. That should clarify everyone's thinking for next year - i.e. does brown even want to stay, can we afford him in div 4...

Reasonable points....hopefully Power/Brown's utterances are for fan consumption and a more realistic scenario is being pursued in private.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 11:50:00 »

Indeed, prepare for the worst, hope for the best
Panda Paws

« Reply #587 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 11:50:50 »

If we make the play-offs, I'd give him a crack next year. Could he have done better with this squad than Flitcroft? Would he have ran all of our players into the ground. Who knows?

I like the idea of someone like Garrard, but think right now this is a sensible move.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 11:53:48 »

Im just looking forward to the next time Phil Brown and Ivo Graham are on fighting talk together, turning it into a STFC love / hate in.

Never knowingly overstated.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 12:06:00 »

Im just looking forward to the next time Phil Brown and Ivo Graham are on fighting talk together, turning it into a STFC love / hate in.

I saw Phil Brown participate in a live edition of Fighting Talk. Seemed like a thoroughly tolerable chap.... at the time...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 12:22:09 »

I'll give him a game before asking for him to leave :-)

He is certainly tarred with being from the same ilk as Allardyce, but to be honest, I haven't seen much of his teams to make any judgement.  Hopefully he is his own man and has simply learned some tricks of the trade without going full Wilkinson.

What is clear is the team need some basic structure applied to them - much the same players had us in the play off hunt early in the season, so as much as injuries have been a pain, the bigger issue has more been that we haven't catered for it.  We have just been sticking lots of squares in round holes at times.  Hopefully the back five approach is abandoned, certainly with the current central defenders available.

With a few tweaks we should certainly still be in the play off hunt.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 12:29:12 »

With a few tweaks we should certainly still be in the play off hunt.

What tweaks do you propose given the available personnel  Hmmm
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 12:36:39 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 12:53:42 »

I listed one - formation, change it to suit the available players and their limitations.
Get best use from Elsnik.
Sort out the forward line and give them a basic attacking structure - right now it's hit it and hope, even that isn't an Allardyce approach who allowed someone like Okocha to play.  We've not really figured out a supply line - Gordon can't play wing back for example, playing the way we do is not helping Anderson (who doesn't help himself either).

Those should be sufficient.  Even replicating our early season set-up would keep us in the hunt, where we had four forward players and six defenders.  Flitcroft tried to get too clever but as was shown when Taylor tried for a game, the players have been trained to react under pressure a certain way - hit it.  Work needs to happen to temper that habit, to provide the structure they feel they can trust in a game, to get players in positions on the field where they feel more comfortable.

Back to basics.  We won't be amazing, but we should be capable of winning six and losing four.  That keeps us in the hunt.  It doesn't guarantee anything.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 13:07:49 »

Brian Horton will not make Chalkies shorts very happy!

Not exactly come out of the blue.

No more of the yellow and blue....
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 13:17:21 »

The future's bright, the future's orange...

He ain't orange here....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Brown_(footballer,_born_1959)
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 13:22:38 »

Yes on the Saarfend forum they say their defence was definately their strong point but he at times played up to 7 recognised defenders at one time with a couple playing in centre midfield,

Don't think we have any danger of that, do we actually have 7 fit defenders in the squad??

We shall see, bit of a free shot for Brown....
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 13:52:24 »

He’s an upgrade from Flitcroft imo.
Just a shame it’s too late in the day for him to make any major changes in personnel
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 13:57:25 »

This really is one game at a time territory isn’t it? Power has shown his hand and in spite of Browns platitudes towards Powers ambition and future vision I’d take that with a pinch of salt because it’s a shit or bust appointment whichever way you look at it. Brown could well be looking for a paycheck from another club come August. However, if and it’s a big if he does get us up then and only then does the Power vision become relevant. Having said that the remaining fixtures pail into significance to the one or two v Mansfield in the play offs....
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 14:01:34 »

Surely this league doesn't need much to tip the balance between a winning or losing side? With the right approach I see no reason why we can't progress
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 15:11:28 »

I listed one - formation, change it to suit the available players and their limitations.

Pulis when asked the secret of keeping clubs up, says the first thing he does is look at the players and think, what can they do... then devise a basic way of playing

It's more or less what Flitters did.  The difference being is when you have a Prem sized squad, more choices.  Atm we just don't have the personnel, for too much messing around with formation.

Cambridge and Crawley are very difficult games even if we had our full squad.

Cambridge have one of the better home records in this season's Div 4, and only Cov have conceded fewer. Crawley after a slow start have picked up, recent victims include Mansfield, Accy and Lincoln.  Accy's only defeat in something like 11 wins.

Our away form has recently tailed off...ok sometimes you do get a new manager bounce, but it's very difficult to make a case for it here.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 45   Go Up
Print
Jump to: