Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 45   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread.  (Read 157725 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #570 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 08:35:57 »

he got released by Orient. Not sure that board well to how well he's recovered
He was released mostly due to not being able to prove his fitness.

He has also joined St Albans.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 08:42:34 »

He was released mostly due to not being able to prove his fitness.

He has also joined St Albans.

...and lined-up for them last night against Hungerford with Anton Rodgers in their midfield.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 09:02:18 »

...and lined-up for them last night against Hungerford with Anton Rodgers in their midfield.

Shows you have close this lot are to not making a living out of football, assuming that when you get to that level, it’s a hobby and most players have to have jobs.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 09:13:18 »

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cy_jsizI0zg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brian Horton at the County Ground in a managerial role?

I have very happy memories of the following chant reverberating round the County Ground

Cheer up Brian Horton,
Oh what can it mean,
to a sad Oxford bastard,
with a shit football team

Peter Venkman

« Reply #574 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 09:34:09 »

I suppose its horses for courses, Brian Horton, although despised by many Town fans has in his time been manager or assistant manager at many clubs facing promotion or relegation at this point so that all helps.

Whether or not he was successful I don't remember but hes got experience and is known for his "take no prisoner" style of man management, which could work depending on how the players respond.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:09:33 »

The younger generations of Town fans wont know about that though, all they'll see is that he once managed Oxford when they google him.

I'm glad we have an experienced boss in as its what we need if we have any hope of getting out of this league. The short term nature of the appointment means we're not stuck with Brown long term... yet. If he can work with that defence though... remains to be seen.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #576 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:14:45 »

The younger generations of Town fans wont know about that though, all they'll see is that he once managed Oxford when they google him.

I'm glad we have an experienced boss in as its what we need if we have any hope of getting out of this league. The short term nature of the appointment means we're not stuck with Brown long term... yet. If he can work with that defence though... remains to be seen.
Indeed, under the circumstances this is about as good as we really could have hoped for, a management team with over 1,600 games behind them in total.

Hes definately here to win the job long term, if he can get us promotion and start winning some fans back then hes in with a great chance of that.

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:18:24 »

Our first Geordie manager?.....
Didn't know much about Tommy Miller, PV.

I think Malcolm Crosby was briefly caretaker manager in that chaotic tiome when Roy Evans walked out and Andy King was re-instated.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:27:34 »

Indeed, under the circumstances this is about as good as we really could have hoped for, a management team with over 1,600 games behind them in total.

Hes definately here to win the job long term, if he can get us promotion and start winning some fans back then hes in with a great chance of that.
Happy with the experience and the short term nature of the appointment.

It's win, win for Brown and us.

No blame for failure and kudos for even modest success (taking a team to the play offs).

We can get rid if the fit isn't right.

I also think Taylor's game risked suffering if he had been left in sole charge.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:29:28 »

Think it was PV, who in his trawl of Sarfend views suggested Brown/Horton could organise a defence.

Now conventional wisdom would be that there is no magic wand for our predicament....so for me, the short term contract is a typical Power OG.

The job should be about using these 10 games to prepare for next season, and a proper tilt at auto, but Brown is saddled with, if we don't go up he's failed, and we'll be back to instability in the summer.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:40:17 »

I have some sympathy with Power here.  You can see the carrot dangling in front of Power's nose Reg, we are outside the playoffs on goal difference. Writing off this season's budget right now would be madness.

He has 10 weeks to implement permanent boss search, should Brown go. Its imperative he's in a position to move as soon as Brown makes his decision (if he has one).

It should be apparent in the next 3 or 4 games, post Easter, whether we are capable of making the playoffs or not. That should clarify everyone's thinking for next year - i.e. does brown even want to stay, can we afford him in div 4...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:43:03 »

Brian Horton at the County Ground in a managerial role?

I have very happy memories of the following chant reverberating round the County Ground

Cheer up Brian Horton,
Oh what can it mean,
to a sad Oxford bastard,
with a shit football team

Think you can probably still justifiably sing this! :-(

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:47:23 »

Happy with the experience and the short term nature of the appointment.

It's win, win for Brown and us.

No blame for failure and kudos for even modest success (taking a team to the play offs).

We can get rid if the fit isn't right.

I also think Taylor's game risked suffering if he had been left in sole charge.

Totally agree

Writing this season off when outside playofffs only on GD is laughable. Brown has been around the block long enough to see the merits of taking job til the end of season.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 10:52:14 »

Think it was PV, who in his trawl of Sarfend views suggested Brown/Horton could organise a defence.

Now conventional wisdom would be that there is no magic wand for our predicament....so for me, the short term contract is a typical Power OG.

The job should be about using these 10 games to prepare for next season, and a proper tilt at auto, but Brown is saddled with, if we don't go up he's failed, and we'll be back to instability in the summer.
I don't think that we know the terms of the contract that's been signed.

I recall that Brown was quickly on the scene. There was also some chatter about the fact that there was a delay as terms were being finalised.

Maybe the terms were:

- Contracted to £6.50 an hour
- A £5 bonus to reach Wembley
- A £10 bonus if we reach Div 1 through autos
- A £20 bonus if we get promoted via playoffs
- Wage rising to £7.50 an hour if we get promoted to Div 1
- Wage dropping to £6.00 if we remain in Div 2 next year
- £1 bonus per week for every 1000 punters through the turnstyles (over 6000)

There was also something about Power walking out of the 'Nam game when we were 0-3 down. Maybe he wasn't going to go to Brown, but saw what a mess we were in and therefore went running after Brown with better terms.

(The serious bit about this was that I read Brown was scouting at Cheltenham's previous game. I hope that he didn't pass any advice on - Because if his advice led to a 0-3 drubbing at home, it doesn't bode well for the future!)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 11:14:34 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #584 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 11:09:40 »

Yes on the Saarfend forum they say their defence was definately their strong point but he at times played up to 7 recognised defenders at one time with a couple playing in centre midfield, they did this in one of his first couple of games in charge vs Crewe at Wembley in the JPT which they lost, this was by choice not because of injuries.

Although I did not mention Horton then as his long term assistant at Roots Hall was ex Town defender Graham Coughlan who was also sacked along with Brown from there.

He must think that Horton with his 1000+ games will bring more to the table short term than Coughlan would under the circumstances.

Horton had been working with Brown since 2015 where he was working as "football co-ordinator" at Southend apparently.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 45   Go Up
Print
Jump to: