Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 45   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread.  (Read 158540 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:28:29 »

we've won 2 drawn 1 against Nam at home in last 3. the hoodoo is in GLOUCESTERshire.

player managers is one question, but we are talking internal promotion too. Never been a fan of those, and while Taylor may buck the trend is a big risk.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:35:10 »

we've won 2 drawn 1 against Nam at home in last 3. the hoodoo is in GLOUCESTERshire.

True, but I'm not re-assured, there's just something about this being the first game, after Flitters desertion, that stinks of Cheltnumb.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:38:03 »

Player Manager only works if you have a trusted assistant on the side lines strong enough to overrule and make decisions during game time.  That would be a huge risk for Taylor.

As I said previously, this is an interview for the next stage of his career, he would be bonkers to try to player manage.  He needs to be in a suit on Saturday.

Stick Hussey in if fit.

When i said taylor is our best left back that was forgetting hussey. which isnt hard, seems like a season ago he played. started really well with us and if we can get him back to form then a suited taylor would be a good option. without a hussey taylor just has to play without a doubt and thats where the concern creeps in.

its not like taylor has been playing bad and management is an easier decision. he would probably be my player of the season and im sure he knows he has a lot to offer as player still which wont make it any easier
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #498 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:40:24 »

Home and away       P11 W2 D2 L7 F9 A21 27.3% wr
Home games            P5 W2 D2 L2 F7 A8 50% wr
Home league games P4 W2 D1 L1 F6 A5 62.5% wr

In league games they have beaten us 3 times in the last 7 games, all away with 2 wins and 2 draws.

They haven't beaten us at the CG since 2003 in the league (the JPT defeat in 2007 can be ignored as we fielded a weakened team).

As Batch says the hoodoo is more in Gloucestershire not at the CG.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:42:28 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:49:09 »

Home and away       P11 W2 D2 L7 F9 A21 27.3% wr
Home games            P5 W2 D2 L2 F7 A8 50% wr
Home league games P4 W2 D1 L1 F6 A5 62.5% wr

In league games they have beaten us 3 times in the last 7 games, all away with 2 wins and 2 draws.

They haven't beaten us at the CG since 2003 in the league (the JPT defeat in 2007 can be ignored as we fielded a weakened team).

As Batch says the hoodoo is more in Gloucestershire not at the CG.

Nevertheless we've still a negative GD at the CG.  As pointed out, they've never finished above us been relegated 3 times, because they've never had a particularly good team.. we could stick out a stiffs team for an AMC fixture at The Manor and still win. 

Our recent problem wth Oxford has largely been since they moved to the Kassam, where we've yet to score a goal
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 16:54:47 »

Still would like Rosler. Could still happen. Taylor currently on a see how you go basis. If he is a revelation, then as others have said. It could be the start of something great. A promotion at the first time of asking would be great forward momentum going into L1. Just missing out wouldn't be a massive problem, even if it bore initial disappointment. The trouble with next season in L2, I don't think we could attract a decent manager for the future. We could easily get Brown with a similar remit to DF. Get us promoted with nice bonus or if not, we part company. That's not stability though. Taylor is our Lottery Ticket at this moment and it's like we currently have 4 balls on a Wednesday night but will just miss out. Rosler would be 5 or 5 and the bonus, enough to build a future with and will be able to use it well. Brown would be 3 balls and while he'll have some good contacts I don't see enough progression with him. Taylor (if he does well and gets offered the job) with Rob Page as assistant would be my theory and a combination that could work if we are to go down the "new, young, fresh" route.

Linking to the Welsh U21 Coach here and a totally different side note - with Preston sitting one point outside the play-off places, Billy Bodin could be a Premier League player next season.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:03:34 »

How can Taylor be a ‘revelation’ without being given the job til season’s end.

Is getting to the play offs but not winning them sufficient success for getting the job next season.

I can’t see it, but I hope there is a decent turnout for Taylor tomorrow.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 17:15:31 »

Still would like Rosler. Could still happen. Taylor currently on a see how you go basis. If he is a revelation, then as others have said. It could be the start of something great. A promotion at the first time of asking would be great forward momentum going into L1. Just missing out wouldn't be a massive problem, even if it bore initial disappointment. The trouble with next season in L2, I don't think we could attract a decent manager for the future. We could easily get Brown with a similar remit to DF. Get us promoted with nice bonus or if not, we part company. That's not stability though. Taylor is our Lottery Ticket at this moment and it's like we currently have 4 balls on a Wednesday night but will just miss out. Rosler would be 5 or 5 and the bonus, enough to build a future with and will be able to use it well. Brown would be 3 balls and while he'll have some good contacts I don't see enough progression with him. Taylor (if he does well and gets offered the job) with Rob Page as assistant would be my theory and a combination that could work if we are to go down the "new, young, fresh" route.

Linking to the Welsh U21 Coach here and a totally different side note - with Preston sitting one point outside the play-off places, Billy Bodin could be a Premier League player next season.

Out of interest why do you think Rosler would be good if we were in Div 3 next year.  This season he got Fleetwood into the relegation zone., despite having the sort of chairman who's big on community links and has provided them with an 8 mill, state of the art for Div 3, training facility.

There's no evidence that Rosler, unlike say Flitcroft would be able to work effectively with a limited budget and basic infrastructure and support etc.

Brown, not sure he'll have worked with those constraints, at Sarfend he could get a Simon Cox, the sort who'd be well beyond our budget as things stand.

I guess ideally we'd get in someone like Luke Garrard.... young but with a bit of experience who as far as I know, and to be honest that's fuck all about Boreham Wood, will be adding value to limited budget.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:14:21 »

Swindon fans love to give a new manager a chance don't they?

A quote from some fuckwit on Facebook:

Matty Taylor, popular with most fans and I'm sure will have good support tomorrow which will help create a good atmosphere, or Phil Brown who already is dividing opinions with the fans?
He hasn't even been appointed and he's already got some of our twattish fans on his back.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:30:30 »

Swindon fans love to give a new manager a chance don't they?

A quote from some fuckwit on Facebook:
He hasn't even been appointed and he's already got some of our twattish fans on his back.

I promise that wasn't me  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:36:47 »

Sorry Bob, don't see what's wrong with the Brown part of that statement. He is dividing opinion on whether he'd be any good for us or not.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:41:23 »

So if he is appointed he's going to have half the fans against him from the off and who will be on his back after the first defeat/poor display/defensive fuck up or whatever else......
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:43:30 »

My point is that if the fans have decided a manager is going to be crap before he is even appointed it's clearly not going to end well.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:50:20 »

it's hard to know without seeing the context of the thread what was meant.

can't say I'd be excited if he's appointed myself. doesn't mean I'd jump on his back/ not get behind the team.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 20:52:26 »

Out of interest why do you think Rosler would be good if we were in Div 3 next year.  This season he got Fleetwood into the relegation zone., despite having the sort of chairman who's big on community links and has provided them with an 8 mill, state of the art for Div 3, training facility.

There's no evidence that Rosler, unlike say Flitcroft would be able to work effectively with a limited budget and basic infrastructure and support etc.

I guess there's an element of judging him on his last job...and while "we're only as good as our last day" he has managed to nearly get both Brentford and Wigan in the play-offs, in L1 & Championship respectively. I think we all know Power will spend when there is mutual agreement to spend on the right potential asset. He spent a decent chunk on Woolery. Flitcroft's style i'd say, couldn't get the best out of him. So he would have support for the right players. I do think Rosler's management style would get the most out of the players and we'd have one of the fittest squads again. If we were in L1 next season I'd say top 10 finish.  I can't believe you're effectively saying that Rosler would not be able to get more out of the current squad than Flitcroft? Rosler is definitely a better calibre of manager.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 45   Go Up
Print
Jump to: