Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 45   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread.  (Read 158610 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 08:57:08 »

I am definitely in the "give it to Taylor until the end of the season" camp.  If it goes wrong, so be it, bring in somebody to get us out next season.  Hire Brown now and he does manage to get us out, I think we will be in a for a midtable/relegation battle next season.  However, if Taylor turns out to be the next JFH/Rosler that hits the ground running in their early years of management, it could just turn out to be a promotion push this year and next.

I for one and willing to take that risk.  I don't think Power will be though..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #481 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 09:14:33 »

I am definitely in the "give it to Taylor until the end of the season" camp.  If it goes wrong, so be it, bring in somebody to get us out next season.  Hire Brown now and he does manage to get us out, I think we will be in a for a midtable/relegation battle next season.  However, if Taylor turns out to be the next JFH/Rosler that hits the ground running in their early years of management, it could just turn out to be a promotion push this year and next.

I for one and willing to take that risk.  I don't think Power will be though..
Exactly how I feel too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 10:10:45 »

+1, me too. (Although not in the hashtag sense)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 12:13:55 »

I'll throw my not inconsiderate weight behind the idea too.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 13:04:25 »

I'm really torn over it, I feel we have a good chance this season, and we want out of this league, I think ultimately it may come down to how we perform on Sat, ok 1 game does not say a lot but if there is renewed fight from the players really looking like they want the game and they are clearly up for it then maybe just maybe give him until the end of the season, but if the opposite is the case then maybe it is too risky with Taylor.

I have a feeling though that with the fans behind the team on sat more so than under fillters and will probably be willing to forgive the odd mistake as Flitcroft has gone it is potentially Taylor's to lose.

On the subject of should Taylor play himself, I think he may opt to put himself on the bench so he can manage from the sidelines if he is serious about the job I think it would be to tough being in charge and playing as he would be analysing the play and may be not putting enough into his own performance.

Let think back for a minute though the last time we allowed a player(s) to step in as caretaker manager....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 13:49:03 »

It would be a mistake to make any decision based off one game, be it good, bad or indifferent;

Either Power wants Taylor to have the job, or he doesn't. But he must surely have already made his mind up on that.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:02:06 »

has player manager ever really worked out? obviously I want it to. in theory the work is done midweek and the assistant manager has plan a, b etc to roll out when taylor wants to.

Be interesting to see the lineup tomorrow. It doesn't need too much drastic change though, we have won 5 home games on the spin with a big injury list. its not exactly a shite situation that needs a massive review. those that still talk about style of play, since the new year I think we have played quite well and that the games have been far from boring.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:04:29 »

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #488 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:05:23 »

has player manager ever really worked out? obviously I want it to. in theory the work is done midweek and the assistant manager has plan a, b etc to roll out when taylor wants to.

Be interesting to see the lineup tomorrow. It doesn't need too much drastic change though, we have won 5 home games on the spin with a big injury list. its not exactly a shite situation that needs a massive review. those that still talk about style of play, since the new year I think we have played quite well and that the games have been far from boring.
Kenny Dalgliesh at Liverpool, Graham Souness at Rangers, Glenn Hoddle, Ossie Ardiles, Steve Macmahon and Lou Macari didn't do bad for us!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:07:03 »

an obvious exception but it was a genuine question as I imagine examples of success are quite rare? Just seems a huge task to be able to focus on your own performance whilst worrying about others. in my head there needs to a be a separation between mates and managers.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:09:06 »

Player-managers are simply out of fashion nowadays. There used to be loads.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:16:26 »

It would be a mistake to make any decision based off one game, be it good, bad or indifferent;

Either Power wants Taylor to have the job, or he doesn't. But he must surely have already made his mind up on that.

We're playing Cheltnum, normal rules don't apply here....

Our record against them is bizarre.  Chelthum have never finished above us ever, and probably won't this season.  Of the previous league campaigns we've shared, they've been relegated twice.  When they beat us 5-0 in the Cup they got relegated to the Conference.

They've won 7/11 encounters... it took Oxford 44 matches and 30+ years to win 7

You'd imagine that Richards getting the PoM award at the expense of Eisa means one thing....
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:16:48 »

yeh just did a search for a success rate %. managers with no managerial experience average 33% on one article.

“Being a manager these days is so demanding that it’s almost impossible to be playing as well. These days the manager has a million-and-one jobs to do. You have to be a financial advisor, schoolteacher, psychologist and a statistician. You have to plan training sessions, assess injuries, analyse match data, scout opponents and potential signings, deal with agents and players. It’s a 24/7 job and it’s no wonder they aren’t any player-managers any more.”

“I asked my players to train as they would play and to play as they would train,” he says. “If I had to miss a training session because I had a meeting or another managerial commitment then I couldn’t practice what I preached and that would mean I wasn't being fair to the players. It’s such a tough job and I felt like I was back at Arsenal as a 16-year-old learning my trade all over again. There’s so much to take in that I’d only play as a last resort.”
Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/just-where-have-all-player-managers-gone#jQwOxkBAiLic7DGL.99

Paul Dickov

It is a tough ask. If he does well I can see him retiring but he is our best left back and chance creator.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:20:59 »

Much of the coach/managers armoury is about strategic subs these days... that wasn't the case a few years back. If you're on the pitch, it is more or less impossible to get a feel for what needs changing.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 14:27:22 »

Player Manager only works if you have a trusted assistant on the side lines strong enough to overrule and make decisions during game time.  That would be a huge risk for Taylor.

As I said previously, this is an interview for the next stage of his career, he would be bonkers to try to player manage.  He needs to be in a suit on Saturday.

Stick Hussey in if fit.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 45   Go Up
Print
Jump to: