Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 45   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread.  (Read 158502 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #75 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 09:41:33 »

It might enhance our promotion bid. Only time will tell.

It's not uncommon for new managers to have a 'honeymoon' period when there's a lift after their appointment. That alone could strengthen us.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 09:43:38 »

This season has seen some of the worst performances ever by an STFC team - aided by inept tactics, subs (or lack thereof) and players being played out of position. He obviously holds grudges against certain players.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 09:46:23 »

It's not uncommon for new managers to have a 'honeymoon' period

Its almost perfect, the honeymoon period apparently gets negated games 12-18....glorious playoff failure it is then..

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/the-myth-of-the-new-manager-effect/BAZ2FQLS2QCBJ795
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 09:47:45 »

That's probably derailed our promotion bid. For whatever reason you may dislike him, we were still top 7 and in with a good chance of promotion. My concern is that there is ALWAYS worse out there. I wasn't a big fan of the football but I thought he wasn't doing a bad job. I'm not sad to see him go, just pissed off at the timing and now obviously Flitcroft has to go down in the cunt category for being a snake, regardless of reason. Having said that, the abuse he got from fans was completely unwarranted and unfair, so part of me doesn't really blame him.

Mansfield fans seem happy, I feel they will be bitterly disappointed. We need to make a smart appointment, no youth team nonsense, no current players, get an experienced boss in who has previous in getting teams up. If we don't, we wont go up.

^^^^ This
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #79 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 09:55:45 »

My concern is that there is ALWAYS worse out there. I wasn't a big fan of the football but I thought he wasn't doing a bad job.
There is always worse out there but there is often much much better too.

His use of subs, his public fall outs with players, his inability to pick players in the right positions when often better options "appear" to be there,  sticking with under performing players and his reluctance early doors to change from hoofball which was not working to a more attacking on the deck game cost us games.

This season has seen some of the worst performances ever by an STFC team - aided by inept tactics, subs (or lack thereof) and players being played out of position. He obviously holds grudges against certain players.
I agree that under Flitcroft we have suffered from some of the worst performances I have ever seen at Swindon in 45 years, even Harts teams and Beamish's side showed more effort and skill, it was the inconsistancy that bugged me more than anything.

One week we looked like we would walk the league and the next week we can barely string 3 passes to completion and with zero shots on target in 90 mins, I have never seen such an inconsistant side ever.

It might enhance our promotion bid. Only time will tell.

It's not uncommon for new managers to have a 'honeymoon' period when there's a lift after their appointment. That alone could strengthen us.
This is also true, if we can get a new man in and get that "honeymoon" period where we get some good results that would be a great scenario.

These sort of reactions happen often when a manager has alienated some players who then feel they are "let off the leash" and start performing again.

Its going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 09:56:35 »

Also if he is on a short term contract and Power wouldn't give him 3 years then it makes a lot of sense for Flitcroft to go, and the timing of this shows he did not give a shit about the club or he would have stayed and got us to the end of the season, he probably thinks Mansfield have a stronger squad than us and in a better position for going up.

Not picking on this post specifically however in light of many of the 'disloyal' and not caruing for the club posts....

Hypothetical example...

You are from Swindon but for work purposes have taken a job 2-3 hours from where your roots are, that job is on a short term contract, you have a pretty good idea that even if you succeed you will be sacked in the next few months and most of the people you deal with think you are a wanker!

You get offered a job much nearer your roots, on a long term contract with possibly greater (in your eyes at least) chance of advancement in your career...

Its not fucking rocket science!

As a southerner living in the north, most northerners don't give a shit either way about people from the south, they hate people from Yorkshire much more in the NW, as for the soft southerners shite, to be fair you need to speak to your fellow southerners and suggest they stop being so fucking stereotypical when they have a bit of snow then!  Wink
Flashheart

« Reply #81 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:05:41 »

Its almost perfect, the honeymoon period apparently gets negated games 12-18....glorious playoff failure it is then..

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/the-myth-of-the-new-manager-effect/BAZ2FQLS2QCBJ795

A 12-18 game honeymoon period would be perfect. We can worry about the bit that comes after if/when it happens.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:07:04 »

New manager effect is after a shocking run and a sacking usually.  This is disruptive.  

Flitcroft knew League 2, he brought in some decent players, instilled a certain team spirit and achieved a league position in line with his budget.  His disregard for the fans has been growing, the football has been stratospheric (literally), he has fallen out with or failed to use talented players like Vigs, Woolery and even Goddard and his prolonged loyalty to RCC (lovely guy) through a prolonged crisis of confidence has cost us points.  I could go on.

If Power can sort Fenlon, then he can sort Vigs regardless of Contract terms.  I think some distance as a manager is required, so to be competing for a first team spot one minute and then to be manager the next may not sit well and nor would being best mates with the squad either.  For that reason, Taylor could make a great no. 2.

Fenlon is surely likely but he has no experience of League 2, its teams or players.  I wonder if a steal like Rosler could be made to be interested.  He gets a promotion on his cv - or a ready made excuse if not - and can stay or better hilself at season end.  Not many vacancies come up at this stage do they?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:07:19 »

no it's an 11 game honeymoon period, then things fall apart 12-18 Smiley
Flashheart

« Reply #84 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:08:28 »

That's fine as well. We can sack him after 10 games or so next season after he gets us promoted this season.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #85 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:08:45 »

Its not fucking rocket science!
Exactly this, as was my post pointing out this pretty similarly above, it was a matter of time not a matter of if he went, I just question his timing, he must be REALLY pissed off with Power to inflict this on the club.

As a southerner living in the north, most northerners don't give a shit either way about people from the south, they hate people from Yorkshire much more in the NW, as for the soft southerners shite, to be fair you need to speak to your fellow southerners and suggest they stop being so fucking stereotypical when they have a bit of snow then!  Wink
I agree totally on the snow thing, but this does tend to be much more London and its 'Burbs as most country folk like these here in Somerset, Dorset, Devon, Wilts etc are pretty hardly folk who are quite used to not being mollycodled when a few inches of snow appears.

I must admit the worst I have found for the North/South divide has been the Yorkshiremen, but again most of them seem to be Yorkshire vs the rest of the world mentality.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:10:18 »

Quote from: Flashheart
That's fine as well. We can sack him after 10 games or so next season after he gets us promoted this season.

ha ha, that's optimistic.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #87 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:12:04 »

Delay his appointment for a few games...simples Smiley

Actually I would think that Saturday game with Yeovil will definately be under threat of the weather so that could buy us a bit more time appointing the right man.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:17:21 »

Pat Fenlon 1/3 with bookies
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:19:11 »

Looking forward to the bitter, back-handed comments from Flitcroft in his Mansfield press conference. Prediction:

Bigger club
Issues with Swindon fans
Want to focus on getting Mansfield up
Great set up here
Club on the up
Wouldn’t give me another contract
Dinner plates were too small
Any other cliches he used for us a few months ago!
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 10:21:17 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 45   Go Up
Print
Jump to: