Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread.  (Read 156718 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 15:24:50 »

Pulis when asked the secret of keeping clubs up, says the first thing he does is look at the players and think, what can they do... then devise a basic way of playing

It's more or less what Flitters did.
Except Flitcroft brought most of these players in. So presumably he brought them in to fit the system he wanted to play, rather than fit the system to the players?
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 16:36:21 »

Mr. Brown manages Swindon Town on the A361.
And if he meets an Oxford Fan he’s ready with his gun.
Who do you think you Are kidding Mr. Flitcroft
If you think our play off chance is done.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 17:02:39 »

Mr. Brown manages Swindon Town on the A361.
And if he meets an Oxford Fan he’s ready with his gun.
Who do you think you Are kidding Mr. Flitcroft
If you think our play off chance is done.

Ah, the 361....the longest 3 digit A road, in England.

But what's that I hear you say, it morphs into the A 4361 between Swindon and Avebury, before returning to 3 digits at Stratton. I know not why.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 17:20:12 »

Here’s one for Reg.

Just before the lights coming to The Kingsdown pub at Stratton there is an old road sign, which directs you left at the lights to Calcutt. Where the f is that. Never heard of it.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 17:33:03 »

Here’s one for Reg.

Just before the lights coming to The Kingsdown pub at Stratton there is an old road sign, which directs you left at the lights to Calcutt. Where the f is that. Never heard of it.

It’s just before Cricklade on the A419.

Edit: Just remembered I was confusing it with Latton!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 17:40:19 by Private Fraser » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 17:34:54 »

Never knew that.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 17:38:42 »

Ah, the 361....the longest 3 digit A road, in England.

But what's that I hear you say, it morphs into the A 4361 between Swindon and Avebury, before returning to 3 digits at Stratton. I know not why.

I'll bet you do really.  Wink

Answer = here.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 17:49:57 »

Here’s one for Reg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcutt,_Wiltshire
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 17:52:38 »

There is a Calcutt Street in Cricklade.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 18:56:36 »

Here’s one for Reg.

A reference to the mysteries of Calcutt on this thread.

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=51728.0

The 361, used to run down (and up) Drove Road and then turn at the CG along Shrivenham Road.   There's one of those nice old black and white old road signs, by where Drove meets, Belle Vue and Hunt Street, which I think has got A 361 on it still.

It stands by the triangle of greenery, which until relatively recently, still had a box hedge display saying "Welcome to Swindon".... left over from when Old and New Swindon were distinct
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 07:54:13 »

Apparently Brown has stated that the aim is still to gain automatic promotion. Fair enough, i’d go with that, aim high why not?

The comments below are from the two Adver articles this morning.

“But he added, with confidence, that the club wants to earn automatic promotion from League Two.”

“The vision is simple - to win enough games to get automatic promotion,” said Brown.

“With managerial history at Bolton, Derby, Hull, Preston North End and Southend United, Brown joins Town with a 35 per cent winning record from 498 games in charge.”

“Brown himself acknowledged the “unique’’ nature of the situation he was walking into on Monday, a club on the edge of the play-off zone and still, despite 15 losses in 36 games to date, only eight points off the third automatic promotion spot.
Win five of their remaining matches and Town will surpass the 70 points which squeezed Blackpool into the League Two play-offs last season. And look what happened to them.”

Let’s put aside automatic promotion for a few moments, shall we? We have ten games left which gives a possibility of 30 points, five wins could get us into the last playoff place. Now i’m Not Stephen Hawkin (RIP) but with a win ratio of 35% or 3 1/2 games out of 10 that’s let’s say 10 points. Yes we may be only 8 off auto’s now and 15 from the Valhalla of 70 for this last P.O. space but by fuck he’s going to have to bust his 35% win ratio in the first instance to do something special. So Phil me old mucker you may have to pray, voodoo doll, assassinate, offer up a sacrifice or two or whatever and hope everyone else above fucks up royally to achieve anything.

Still it’s and to coin a phrase from Jimmy Greaves “it’s a funny old game Saint.”

Flashheart

« Reply #611 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 08:08:07 »

Win ratios are a pretty useless metric without context.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #612 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 11:49:48 »

Win ratios are a pretty useless metric without context.
I know I often use win ratios as an example which as a rough guideline are ok.

I think the loss ratio is actually more important, a side that draws a lot of games is often only 1 or 2 players away from a good team, but if a manager comes in as PB has with us when he cannot really change the squad as its out of the window and with many injuries and add suspensions too then that can taint the figures hugely.

I still think that as a team, although we have a few players that should probably not normally be in the team if everyone was fit, have a good basis for play offs at least.

I also think that the players seem to lack motivation at times and we do definately lack a leader on the pitch who can gee up the players, I thought Richards looked that sort of man when he first arrived but of late, ironically since he got the captaincy, he has not talked players through games as he did when he wasn't captain.

We still play some really decent football at times, on Saturday that was only the first 15 mins and last 5 but against Crewe away we did it for 75% of the game and Coventry away was the same, home vs Mansfield we did that also so the players CAN do it when they are focussed.

Its now down to PB and BH to get that desire, motivation and consistancy out of the players at his disposal.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #613 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 12:45:27 »

It would be a bit defeatist if he told the players let's get enough points just for the play-off's, it is a chance for e.g. to run the autos close and go into the play offs with some confidence unlike the last time we was in the play-off's
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 12:47:34 »

I know I often use win ratios as an example which as a rough guideline are ok.

I think the loss ratio is actually more important, a side that draws a lot of games is often only 1 or 2 players away from a good team, but if a manager comes in as PB has with us when he cannot really change the squad as its out of the window and with many injuries and add suspensions too then that can taint the figures hugely.

I think that the place on the football pecking order can have a huge part in establishing a context for win ratio, look at the Mourinho's, Guardiola, Klopps etc, they hav ein the main managed at wealthy clubs at the upper end of their leagues, thus when they come to play teams probably 95% of the time they just play their normal way and the opponents have to adapt to counter them...

However look at someone like Brown who has not really managed at the upper end, but instead at clubs which are in the middle or if they have been higher have been fighting above their weight, thus in the majority of games he will have been required to adapt his team game on game to achieve victories using what he has available, thus c.35% isn't half bad?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45   Go Up
Print
Jump to: