Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chesterfield v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 41005 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 18:47:38 »

Its a bit of a history rewrite. At the time it was considered a great opportunity to put together a new team. A lot of clubs signed similar numbers of players, say Mansfield for one. However what seems to have been a deliberate strategy to get rid of as many players from last season as possible was a little short sighted.

We have suffered with injuries for sure. McDermot has hardly played and looked promising. Hussey the same. Linganzi never fit. Conroy a bright spot from last season getting injured so early. One thing we just haven't had until Richards arrival though is goal scorers.

I don't think even the most blinkered of the Flitters outers, would wish to argue that getting shot of last seasons dross was a mistake.  Maybe I'm wrong and they pine for BOO, Barry, Anton, Conor Thomas, Brophy, and the Chelsea's kids.  Also clearly the Vigs fan club, are convinced by him sitting on Waterford's bench shows the high esteem he's held in the game.

Mansfield did indeed acquire a number of new players, but the sums spent on wages etc led them to being made favourites for auto.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 18:52:46 »

Actually you could say, as I'm sure our USA correspondent would agree, it's all a bit hit and miss. The runs of decent form have merely been a run  of getting the %ages go our way.

:-)

Today was indeed no better, no worse, than most of the season.  I don't think we could say we've ever actually had anything akin to "form", more we had runs of results.  The run in, on the whole, probably still means play offs are a near certainty if the same playing of the odds keeps happening.  Without Elsnik we look just as likely to lose as we are to win, which against the shitter teams in the league means we should squeak a few winds and losses.

I really don't know how you hide the keeper though, he could be the difference between promotion and losing in the play offs right now.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 19:26:44 »

I used to think Charles Cook was on par with phil smith, but he’s not. He’s like lanzano

Things get better but they never get good
REDBUCK

« Reply #243 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 20:03:53 »

Without Elsnik we look just as likely to lose as we are to win, which against the shitter teams in the league means we should squeak a few winds and losses.

Dare I say it, just the time for Dunne to step forward with his particular brand of Div 4 nudging and nurdling.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 20:56:34 »

GK situation is ridiculous. RCC continues to cost us week in, week out. Probably a nice enough guy but his failure to command the penalty area is really costing us.

Thought we were really shit today, special mention to Knoyle (who's largely been quite good) for being the most shit. Purkiss comes out with the most credit for being not bad, apart from that shocking. Norris actually did OK in midfield, and playing Woolery out wide is a huge waste of time.

Overall, crap.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 21:11:39 »

Was it that gimp Hodgetts?
Yes and had probably warned off asking any meaningful questions!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #246 on: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 09:03:18 »

he may not be wrong in what he says, but it's probably wrong to say it.

He's been criticised, no problem with him giving some back... but once you lose the crowd..
Spot on.

Anyone who gets upset being criticised by the manager is looking for an excuse to stop going.
You could be right but at this time with our lowest average crowds in many years lots of our fans need no more excuse to not attend.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 09:07:21 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #247 on: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 09:11:13 »

:-)

Today was indeed no better, no worse, than most of the season.  I don't think we could say we've ever actually had anything akin to "form", more we had runs of results.  The run in, on the whole, probably still means play offs are a near certainty if the same playing of the odds keeps happening.  Without Elsnik we look just as likely to lose as we are to win, which against the shitter teams in the league means we should squeak a few winds and losses.

I really don't know how you hide the keeper though, he could be the difference between promotion and losing in the play offs right now.
Absolutely spot on.

We weren't terrible but we were not as good as we could or should have been.

It was a shit quality match and most of our players had off days but RCC cost us a game which we should really have at least drawn.

Against Port Vale it was very similar, 2 poor sides in a game that could easily have gone either way with goalkeeping errors costing the losing sides rather than the skill of the players winning the game.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 09:19:16 »

If all we can realistically hope for is a play off spot, then yesterday’s results did little damage. That’s not to say having 3 CBs and our best 2 midfielders out isn’t cause for a little alarm.

2 home games up next against the poorest away side and then our nemesis.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 09:33:19 »

Spot on.
You could be right but at this time with our lowest average crowds in many years lots of our fans need no more excuse to not attend.

I'd like to come back sometimes but I read on here how awful the football is etc and can't bring myself to do it. Definitely want to get one game in, probably Accrington Stanley with a few beers to help me though it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #250 on: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 10:35:04 »

I'd like to come back sometimes but I read on here how awful the football is etc and can't bring myself to do it. Definitely want to get one game in, probably Accrington Stanley with a few beers to help me though it.
TBF we do try and play football a lot but the actual end product is not as polished as it could be.

Its not all hoof and run there is a lot of pass, dribble, cross but almost every team we are up against are of a really poor quality and and refereeing standard is the worst I have ever seen.

I have seen about 25 games this season and its nowhere near as awful as many fans say but occassionally like yesterday, Port Vale, Newport and a few others the game lacks overall quality but we are in Div 4 so a lot of goals conceded are down to indivdual errors, but unlike the higher leagues not every individual error results in a goal.

But its pot luck as to you watching one of the better games of football.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 10:36:44 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 10:37:36 »

Fair is fair, Flitcroft gets negativity from the fans so he is within his right to give it back.
Problem is however, he is not doing a very good job, plays an awful standard/style of football and come across quite egotistical - all of which gives fans reason to complain

I come from a land down-under
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 10:39:46 »

This goalkeeper bollocks is getting on my tits...

Let's all remember Vigs total fuck up V Barnet...

Digby was a Ledge and shipped loads in the premier. Bit of a team failure as I remember.

If it was all about playing your best players despite them being a cunt, we would still have Ranger here.

RCC is ok...just like 80% of this team...getting sick of seeing him and Norris as a scapegoat when we lose...

Anderson at Coventry, Knoyle at Wycombe....total fuck ups that cost us.

It's L2 FFS!

Clems Army!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 11:22:47 »

To be honest there were a group of about 20 or so mostly kids (anyone U25 counts Smiley ) abusing the players & staff after the game yesterday so maybe this is what Flitcroft was referring to.

There was someone shouting the "This is the worst Swindon team ever" during the game yesterday, I fully expected to look round & see it was some youngster, but it was an older bloke. I'm guessing either he's only been following Town for a short time, or he's losing his memory because he's obviously forgotten Beamish's team Smiley .   

In fact I still say last years team would probably be bottom of this league.

As for the game, it just felt like the team were just as complacent as most of the fans, thinking we were just going to roll in to town, pick up three points at a stroll & disappear back home.

It wasn't until the second half that we started to put any effort in, and in fact we didn't look like scoring until Woolery & Norris came on.

The biggest complaint about Woolery is that he seems to just play for himself, as has been said he completely ignored players overlapping on several occasions & would rather just run into the opposition than pass it to a team mate, that said at least he tried to cause them problems.

For all that is said about Norris, he does fight for the ball & hold it up well, which nobody else (Richards included) managed to do in the first half. He just doesn't score goals.
He did however create two good chances for Richards who looked more of a threat with Norris than he did with Mullin.

And a final word on Robertson, even without the goal he had one of his better games yesterday.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, February 25, 2018, 11:31:33 »

A strong end of season, which largely coincided with Flitters getting in an unknown goalkeeper on loan from Charlton.... Nick Pope.
Any chance he might still be available  ?,  anyone please for fucks sake, RCC must go, not good enough by miles.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: