Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chesterfield v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 40122 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 11:56:21 »

This Luton point worries me slightly.

Any idea how we've faired this season after a week off vs having a midweek fixture?

Think that it is broadly neutral.... couple of wins like Mansfield and Yeovil and a couple of losses like Cov and Cheltnumb. The latter is unreliable as a guide, due to there being forces at work at Whaddon Road beyond our comprehension.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 12:38:50 »

I'm expecting more of a Gordon Banks 58/59 at the CG performance.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19590129

An interesting piece quoting Ben Futcher in yesterday's Adver, saying he felt that he and Flitters were not getting enough credit, for halting last season's slide, as Spireites and Burslem have demonstrated how difficult that can be.

Chesterfield will be battling for their FL status, I'm not sure with our current defensive deficiencies if we'll cope.

Agreed about Flitcroft being given some credit, despite having some doubts about the appointment.

Not sure if Chesterfield & PV had to cope with a similar high turnover of players in the summer.

Plus with Coventry now seemingly starting to flounder in mid table, then our current position should be worthy of some praise for the management team at least.

And to think, without certain players being injured we might possibly have been in a better position than where we are now.

Regarding overall quality and the bigger picture.
Then I would have expected much more of a filtering down of younger players from the PL than has actually happened.

Looks as if a lot of them are content to pick up the bigger wages and not take the risk of some game time in L2.

Flitcroft's comment in the recent phone in about zero aerial contact for central defender's in the PL development league was very telling.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 12:41:41 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 12:58:37 »

I'm expecting more of a Gordon Banks 58/59 at the CG performance.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19590129

An interesting piece quoting Ben Futcher in yesterday's Adver, saying he felt that he and Flitters were not getting enough credit, for halting last season's slide, as Spireites and Burslem have demonstrated how difficult that can be.

Chesterfield will be battling for their FL status, I'm not sure with our current defensive deficiencies if we'll cope.

Ah,an omen? Chesterfield 0 Swindon 2(Gordon,Banks)

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 13:17:19 »

I like it....  Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 13:25:38 »

I "bet" you could get about 50/1 at the bookies for that!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 13:26:53 »

Problem is despite the evidence of what a clusterfuck last season was, expectation is we get promoted this season. particularly with 'big budget' talk.

although some will, a fair number of fans aren't going to give credit until that happens, or not.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 13:32:27 »

Really should be going today, seeing as I'm only 8 (eight) miles away! As well as money dictates, I have other stuff to do (like posting on here  Cheesy )

Today is a tricky tie. Chesterfield need the points as much as we do. I too thought, in their style of play that they would rise out of the bottom two. Maybe the damage was done too early on and with all the crap surrounding their club, fans have given up hope. As we know, it's the hope that gets you. With all said and done, they'll probably sneak a "park the bus 1-0" and give the last of the Spireite faithful false hope. While we'll face automatic dejection. On the flip there is potential to take this to them and give them a damn good thrashing. It's a given we will probably concede in most games, so all we need to do is score more; right?

Chezvegas 1-4 Town Bradley Barry; Richards (2), Elsnik, Taylor
Booked: Coke, Evatt; Mayo, R-CC
Att: 5,395 (736 Town)
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 13:34:21 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 13:41:40 »

There's a lovely Porter on in the Derby Tup.🙂

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 13:44:59 »

Pre match gradual leaning like a wonky church spire in The Spa Lane Vaults.

A bit sad that familiarity with a lot of these places means getting around is now quite easy.

Being a welcoming chap, once waved at a Chesterfield supporters coach on its way through Gorse Hill for a midweek game.
They waved back. Sort of.
We lost.

Need to get the away mojo back today.
Hopefully they will play like a team of Bob Wilsons floundering in the Wembley mud as we skip past them with ease.

You do realise if you left on Wednesday you'd have time for a bit more pre-match prep?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 14:00:48 »

No elsnik

TOWN STARTING XI 👥 | Charles-Cook; Purkiss, Lancashire (C), Menayese; Knoyle, Banks, Gordon, Anderson, Taylor; Mullin, Richards.

SUBS - Moore, Robertson, Iandolo, Dunne, Woolery, Norris.

#STFC
Peter Venkman

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 14:00:58 »

Charles-Cook; Purkiss, Lancashire (C), Menayese; Knoyle, Banks, Gordon, Anderson, Taylor; Mullin, Richards.

SUBS - Moore, Robertson, Iandolo, Dunne, Woolery, Norris.

Edit: beaten to it!

Peter Venkman

« Reply #26 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 14:02:19 »

Elsnik out is a massive loss.

Interesting to see if Gordon will be playing in a free breaking role from the centre rather than as a winger, unless Knoyle plays in the middle as he did at times last week, when he played much more infield than normal vs Wycombe.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 14:10:36 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 14:04:14 »

Quote from: Batch
He won't drop Norris

we won't win 6-0

Wink
Peter Venkman

« Reply #28 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 14:07:28 »

Their leading scorer Dennis is on the bench and apparently their fans think they will be playing with just one striker in O'Grady, a former pre season town target allegedly.

Former Town fullback Brad Barry is playing as is former Town trialist Zavon Hines.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #29 on: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 14:13:16 »

Their fans seem a little less than happy with that selection.
Brilliant no goals o'grady replaces our top scorer, hope the midfield can score then

What an appalling team selection. That midfield will be murdered. How does Weir keep getting in the team?! Looks like we'll be relying on our defence to carry us again.

And when was the last time we kept a clean sheet - Richards / Banks bound to score. To win today we need Three goals and we are not capable of that.

Great to see Talbot back but I hope I'm wrong in thinking it makes no sense to replace a goalscorer with a lump. It does look similar to the starting XI v Luton so can see how Jack might be thinking.

Probably one of the worst CFC starting line ups I’ve seen.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 24, 2018, 14:29:31 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: