Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "other games in our league" matchday thread 2018  (Read 55642 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Saturday, May 12, 2018, 19:02:34 »

Half Man, Half Biscuit will be pleased.  I guess if we think back to the time when we beat them in the PO 25 years ago, their fans were top notch that night at Prenton.  So for no other reason I'm pleased to see them back.

Damn right. What a night. And you're right, the Tranmere were excellent. Great memories.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Saturday, May 12, 2018, 19:37:43 »

One of the all time great nights and one which I never would have imagined would end with the Town fans singing "Tranmere, Tranmere, Tranmere" ...two amazing games in fact.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Saturday, May 12, 2018, 21:41:59 »

Steve Vickers must still have sleepness nights about those two games
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 02:08:08 »

There can't have been a more amazing opening 7 minutes to a game in the history of the Club than that first leg at the CG...
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 08:21:29 »

There can't have been a more amazing opening 7 minutes to a game in the history of the Club than that first leg at the CG...

A Stratton Bank mosh pit.
Happy days.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 08:52:57 »

I’d forgotten about their disallowed goal. Looked fine to me.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 09:12:22 »

Absolutely. If it had been allowed it would have changed the complexion of the whole tie. As it was, we went 3-0 up before half time and they could never quite claw that deficit back - although they came pretty damned close of course...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 10:30:33 »

2nd half  Smiley

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 12:23:02 »

If anyone ever wonders why you watch the Town, especially in recent years, those two Tranmere games and the Leicester final all within a couple of weeks of each other shows them why.  Clearly the Sunderland game at Wembley was a much better performance, but the drama in those games in 1993 is hard to forget.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 14:38:35 »

If anyone ever wonders why you watch the Town, especially in recent years, those two Tranmere games and the Leicester final all within a couple of weeks of each other shows them why.  Clearly the Sunderland game at Wembley was a much better performance, but the drama in those games in 1993 is hard to forget.

And if that wasn't enough, you had this - probably the most electric atmosphere I've ever experienced at the CG for a non-play off game. In fact it did have the feel of a play off semi-final. Magnificent...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19930134 Swindon 2 Newcastle 1

and this was just surreal...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19930142 Birmingham 4 Swindon 6

All this and much, much more. Well that's why I keep coming back season after season, how those who are too young to remember manage to do it, I don't know. Fair play to them though and thank God they do...
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 14:59:57 »

And if that wasn't enough, you had this - probably the most electric atmosphere I've ever experienced at the CG for a non-play off game. In fact it did have the feel of a play off semi-final. Magnificent...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19930134 Swindon 2 Newcastle 1

and this was just surreal...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19930142 Birmingham 4 Swindon 6

All this and much, much more. Well that's why I keep coming back season after season, how those who are too young to remember manage to do it, I don't know. Fair play to them though and thank God they do...

Younger age groups have the moments where Town won battles but lost wars. Nothing close to the early 90's stuff but enough to keep the hope alive.

2003/04
2009/10
2012/13
2014/15

Di Canio season helped quite a lot too.

I maintain that I don't follow Swindon for any kind of success or glory, although it's ruddy great when it does happen. I support Swindon... because I do! Passed down to me and that's that.

Success is not a must.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 15:23:14 »

Younger age groups have the moments where Town won battles but lost wars. Nothing close to the early 90's stuff but enough to keep the hope alive.

2003/04
2009/10
2012/13
2014/15

Di Canio season helped quite a lot too.

I maintain that I don't follow Swindon for any kind of success or glory, although it's ruddy great when it does happen. I support Swindon... because I do! Passed down to me and that's that.

Success is not a must.
True enough - we've had our moments, more than some have to be fair. Certainly no one can accuse any of us of being 'glory hunters' though... Cool
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 15:36:48 »

True enough - we've had our moments, more than some have to be fair. Certainly no one can accuse any of us of being 'glory hunters' though... Cool

Absolutely not!

Imagine what TEF would be like if Swindon Town suddenly enjoyed a period of success resulting in a prolonged Premier League stay!?

We'd have to reluctantly up the 25% Football and the 80% Bollocks.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 15:47:45 »

Absolutely not!

Imagine what TEF would be like if Swindon Town suddenly enjoyed a period of success resulting in a prolonged Premier League stay!?

We'd have to reluctantly up the 25% Football and the 80% Bollocks.

I think I enjoyed those seasons in Championship (as it is now) with Macari, Ardilles & Hoddle, more than the Premier League season. I guess it helped that we actually looked liked winning games, but being competitive at that level was success in itself compared to most of the years preceding it.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 15:57:32 »

Agreed.

My generation were too young to appreciate the second tier comfort of the late 80's.

Town left the second tier just as I was leaving school and those couple of seasons seemed bleaker than any of the third tier mediocrity that followed.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: