Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "other games in our league" matchday thread 2018  (Read 55673 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 06:36:24 »

Why are we sad about Chesterfield? Have I missed something
I'm guessing it's in the context of 'There but for the grace of God go I' kind of thing. Which in fairness it could have been.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 06:48:06 »

I'm guessing it's in the context of 'There but for the grace of God go I' kind of thing. Which in fairness it could have been.

Correct!

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 08:27:14 »

Sounds like FGR fans from that. Police used pepperami spray to disperse them
Batch this made me laugh more than it probably should have!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 08:59:16 »

Brilliant achievement by Accrington. Just shows what can be done in this division with the right type of players and organisation.

Can't help but think that Kayden Jackson is one that got away.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 09:26:47 »

Brilliant achievement by Accrington. Just shows what can be done in this division with the right type of players and organisation.

Can't help but think that Kayden Jackson is one that got away.
How a team play together as a unit can be more than its individual parts as we were under Macari.

KJ was the only player in the Accrington team that impressed me when we played them up there, looks to have good feet and can take a half chance, plays a lot like Ajose but with more pace.

He did show some promise when he scored 6 in 10 for Supermarine while on loan but was never given a chance by Cooper who thought he was too lightweight, he went on to score a fair few in the lower leagues but then given a chance by Wxm and Grimsby he never really took his chance and was played out wide by Wxm and Grimsby rather than through the middle.

Was surprised that Barnsley took the gamble on him when they did but hes finally being played in his right position and doing well with 15 goals this term but he does link up well with Billy Kee.

Well done Accrington, such a small budget and fan base to do what they have done is some achievement after a near miss 2 years ago.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 09:32:13 »

Why are we sad about Chesterfield? Have I missed something

A number of reasons.  Always found Chesterfield fans a decent bunch... the famous game back in the 80's summed it up. Match postponed on Friday night at Saltergate because of floodlight failure, it was rapidly re arranged for the Saturday afternoon and those Town fans who lurked around were put up by Chesterfield fans.

I guess the sort of thing you'd expect from a town that could elect Tony Benn as MP.

Further Ernie Moss, was an opposition player I always enjoyed watching, and it's very sad to hear of his illness, perhaps a heading balls thing.  Ernie recently had a road named after him, leading up to the new ground. Here's what Ernie said about the game....

"For me competing was all about the pride and dignity of honest endeavour, - and winning wasn't all about riches and rewards, it was about preserving ones sporting integrity, it was about honour"

Proper old skool working class values...

I've a sliding scale when it comes to opposition clubs....  There are those that I have no time for, and there are a lot of those.  Others, who I'm not too bothered about either way and a few I generally wish well.

To give some idea of context.... Mansfield, when they went to the Conference, not bothered about it, this despite their fans  bricking the Rimes coach in 68, and the trouble in 85/86 with Thatcher's paramilitaries.  I guess that they have a Tory MP who believes in sterilisation for the under classes comes as no surprise.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 09:34:32 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 09:35:19 »

A number of reasons.  Always found Chesterfield fans a decent bunch... the famous game back in the 80's summed it up. Match postponed on Friday night at Saltergate because of floodlight failure, it was rapidly re arranged for the Saturday afternoon and those Town fans who lurked around were put up by Chesterfield fans.
Interesting, I have always found their fans were pretty arrogant, after our defeat at Wembley my small party were abused after the game outside Wembley and also on the train at Waterloo coming home, I have no sympaty for them.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 09:42:45 »

Interesting, I have always found their fans were pretty arrogant, after our defeat at Wembley my small party were abused after the game outside Wembley and also on the train at Waterloo coming home, I have no sympaty for them.

I find that surprising PV, After Wembley I had nothing but good chat with the Spireites fans.

I guess it shows that you get good and bad that go to football and sounds like you encountered the negative side unfortunately.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 09:47:01 »

I take people as I find them... of course nothing is perfect, Chesterfield had a moniker like our Swindle... Cheaterfield a few years back.

Further when I was last up there a couple of season's back, the chip  shop where I had a very decent lunch, proved to be owned by a jihadist.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/terror-suspects-lair-bomb-factory-11724534

The club did put up those evacuated by the bomb squad, mind.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 10:00:49 »

I was shocked at the level of abuse TBH and I know I wasn't the only Town fan to be on the end of it.

Disappointing, but then when you have a lot of football fans there is always going to be a few twats.

What was more disappointing for me was I had my teenage autistic step daughter with me having her first visit to Wembley and it upset her a lot.

DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 10:24:46 »

I have to say, the only other football teams I have a vested interest in are Southampton & Eastleigh (both local to me).

If they fall on hard times or go through the mire, I feel for them. A bit like Saints this season, don't get me wrong they have themselves to blame for being so wank.

Anyone outside of Swindon, Southampton and Eastleigh, I couldn't give any less of a fuck about.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 10:29:49 »

Accrington could be champions by the time they visit.
If our lot do the guard of honour thing, then hopefully that might act as a bit of motivation for next season (for those that will still be here).

Didn't Port Vale get promoted the season after we were champions?
Straws to clutch I know.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 13:41:58 »

I was shocked at the level of abuse TBH and I know I wasn't the only Town fan to be on the end of it.

Disappointing, but then when you have a lot of football fans there is always going to be a few twats.

What was more disappointing for me was I had my teenage autistic step daughter with me having her first visit to Wembley and it upset her a lot.

We sure got abuse from 'Wall after the game.  Tbf PDC did rather up the abuse levels we suffered in the Johnsons season.  Very sorry for your stepdaughter, mind.

Separately I was a little incredulous that 4 scots were being charged criminally for abusing Eddie Jones in a 2nd class carriage on the way back from Scotland after the Calcutta Cup game.

How often have we all been abused on a second class carriage returning from an away game without such consequence?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 13:44:10 »

Accrington could be champions by the time they visit.
If our lot do the guard of honour thing, then hopefully that might act as a bit of motivation for next season (for those that will still be here).

Didn't Port Vale get promoted the season after we were champions?
Straws to clutch I know.
No straw too desperate to clutch Smiley
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:34:00 »

I hope we can finally beat fcuking Cheltenham next season, loathsome pricks
Having been born and bred there and sick of the gloating from their fans ,(almost) every time we play them, I can only hope so too
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: