Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "other games in our league" matchday thread 2018  (Read 55640 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, March 22, 2018, 09:50:44 »

Even if we win our game in hand Wycombe are effectively 7 points ahead given GD.

We'd need a mega run of the likes we've not seen this season to even be in the hunt.  7 points better over 8 games. Just can't see it.

If only we could get on run that combines our periods of good away and home form.

New manager bounce incoming!

I'd written autos off after Wycombe beat us bu it's looked pretty unlikely all season.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Thursday, March 22, 2018, 11:09:41 »

Unless I've made any mistakes, here's who everybody still has to play in the top 9...

Accrington (6)
Mansfield
Notts County
Exeter
Wycombe
Lincoln
Swindon

Lincoln (4)
Exeter
Wycombe
Coventry
Accrington

Notts County (4)
Wycombe
Accrington
Coventry
Luton

Wycombe (3)
Notts County
Lincoln
Accrington

Exeter (3)
Swindon
Lincoln
Accrington

Swindon (2)
Exeter
Accrington

Coventry (2)

Notts County
Lincoln

Mansfield (2)
Accrington
Luton

Luton (2)
Mansfield
Notts County
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, March 22, 2018, 11:30:56 »

Blimey, if Accrington win the league then its throughly deserved. Cheers for that though r4e, interesting stuff.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #123 on: Thursday, March 22, 2018, 11:48:35 »

"On paper" us and Luton have the slightly easier run in, but as is said all the time football is not played "On paper".

If we could win every game between now and the end of the season then we go up, simple.

I think Luton and Accrington will be the top 2 with Accringtons great run of late and Luton tailing off then it would appear to be Accringtons to lose but it could still go either way.

3rd is still up for grabs with any team down to us in 9th place still in with a great chance of taking 3rd spot.

Recent form followed by number of point from the last 15 available.

Accrington  DWWWW - 13
Luton         DDLDD - 4
Wycombe    LLDWW - 7
Notts Co     LWDWD - 8
Mansfield    WDDDD - 7
Exeter C     WDDLW - 8
Coventry C DWWDW - 11
Lincoln C    LLDWW - 7
Swindon     LWLLW - 6

Looking at that then Coventry are the ones hitting a bit of form the rest is wide open.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Thursday, March 22, 2018, 11:59:58 »

"On paper" us and Luton have the slightly easier run in, but as is said all the time football is not played "On paper".

If we could win every game between now and the end of the season then we go up, simple.

I think Luton and Accrington will be the top 2 with Accringtons great run of late and Luton tailing off then it would appear to be Accringtons to lose but it could still go either way.

3rd is still up for grabs with any team down to us in 9th place still in with a great chance of taking 3rd spot.

Recent form followed by number of point from the last 15 available.

Accrington  DWWWW - 13
Luton         DDLDD - 4
Wycombe    LLDWW - 7
Notts Co     LWDWD - 8
Mansfield    WDDDD - 7
Exeter C     WDDLW - 8
Coventry C DWWDW - 11
Lincoln C    LLDWW - 7
Swindon     LWLLW - 6

Looking at that then Coventry are the ones hitting a bit of form the rest is wide open.

All games are difficult at this time of the season.  Like Exeter in mid week, they may have been crap but got the job done, that's all that matters.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #125 on: Thursday, March 22, 2018, 12:09:55 »

Indeed, every game is big for those at the top and bottom of the table.

At least we have played all the bottom 6 clubs fighting against relegation home and away already with the exception of Grimsby at home.

Its going to be whoever has a run of form now and then usually its whoever goes into the play offs on the strongest run that succeeds.

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, March 22, 2018, 22:26:43 »

9 games to go and Town aren't even in the play-off places. We're not even one place of the POs and we've got a crap goal difference. Finishing in the top 7 will be an achievement.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, March 22, 2018, 23:21:30 »

9 games to go and Town aren't even in the play-off places. We're not even one place of the POs and we've got a crap goal difference. Finishing in the top 7 will be an achievement.

You've gotta be trolling? One point off 7th and a game in hand over 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Exeter in 6th have a similarly poor GD. They had 3 GiH on us at one point and only sit 3 points ahead. In one game beat them by 2 goals and we'll be level on points and GD with them. It ain't over 'til it's over and that applies massively in this league, this season. We could easily go on to win our game in hand and be 3 points from automatic. I'm sure nearly every team from ourselves up to Wycombe are saying similar things. It could easily flounder and we end up 14th or something silly but wouldn't it be great to go into the Accy game knowing their title hopes have been settled and we need a point to capture third spot?

I imagine 3 or 4 teams all challenging for that final spot on the season decider. Sky should be creaming their pants off at this prospect, much more dramatic than the Premier league. Ok, the football is shit but there is a lot riding on this season. Enjoy the ride, as ever!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, March 23, 2018, 00:40:41 »

It would be.  Saturday is a very hard game... the last time we went there in the league, more or less 7 years ago, we lost 1-0. How could this be I hear you say as the Grecians fielded a team containing TAH, James Dunne, Ryan Harley and Jamie Cureton.... whereas we could put out Caddis, Douglas, Prutton and Ritchie  Hmmm

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, March 23, 2018, 09:00:07 »

wouldn't it be great to go into the Accy game knowing their title hopes have been settled and we need a point to capture third spot?

I can see the attraction of a 'shades of Walsall' non-game in front of a big crowd, but imagine instead a game where we were in 3rd and 4th place respectively where the winner gets auto and the loser could drop right out of the play-offs?  Big potential heartbreak but the chance of a great day out that we can drone on about for years.  Smiley
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Friday, March 23, 2018, 11:24:49 »

Tomorrow’s fixtures, just in case you’re interested.

Luton v Barnet
Wycombe v Port Vale
Chesterfield v Notts C. (Sunday & a bitter local derby)
FGR v Mansfield
Coventry v Grimsby
Carlisle v Cambridge
Crawley v Cheltenham
Morcambe v Lincoln
Accrington Stanley have no fixture tomorrow or Sunday.

Interestingly Accrington will have a massive impact on who goes up and the play offs. They have to play the following....

Mansfield A
Notts Co. H
Exeter H
Wycombe A
Lincoln H
Swindon A
Plus three other fixtures not involving current runners and riders.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, March 23, 2018, 12:11:21 »

Boils down to us. Win 7 or 8 of the remaining games and we go up automatically. Lots of 6 pointers between now and season’s end, so teams will all be dropping points.

I think tomorrow will be the turning point. A win there and we can dream of 3rd. But even a draw will put us on the back foot.

We need to put the WIN in Swindon!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #132 on: Friday, March 23, 2018, 12:38:46 »

Yep its entirely down to us, if we win every game then we go up, if we win 75% we will certainly get into the play offs at least, as Audrey says lots of 6 pointers for all the teams above us team will drop points.

Tomorrow is a massive game, a real 6 pointer for us, I see Linganzi is fit to play and Norris rated slightly better than 50/50.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Friday, March 23, 2018, 14:36:03 »

Yep its entirely down to us, if we win every game then we go up, if we win 75% we will certainly get into the play offs at least, as Audrey says lots of 6 pointers for all the teams above us team will drop points.

Tomorrow is a massive game, a real 6 pointer for us, I see Linganzi is fit to play and Norris rated slightly better than 50/50.

You can't win 75% of 9 games can you  Hmmm
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Friday, March 23, 2018, 17:54:07 »

You can't win 75% of 9 games can you  Hmmm

I guess you can win 77.77% of 9 games though

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: