Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Port Vale  (Read 32965 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 17:26:44 »

Yep not great and also Lancs is going to have surgery in the summer which means he will probably play sporadically with injections...

Didn't mention emergency loan or free agents etc. but we need cover. All things considered as crap as we think we are, that under the circumstances, today was a well fought win. Need cover though.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 17:33:17 »

Preston out for the rest of the season is a massive loss.  Lancashire playing through pain and injections, so likely to miss some games.  Genuinely could cost us promotion.  We're just not good enough defensively atm.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #182 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 17:41:25 »

I think we will have little option but to go flat back 4 again with the amount of defenders at our dispersal.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 17:48:00 »

Preston out for the season.

Oh bollocks.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 17:51:59 »

I think we will have little option but to go flat back 4 again with the amount of defenders at our dispersal.

Trouble is all our "fit FB's are rubbish at defending.

Do we go Robbo/Purkiss and Knoyle at FB, and Mayo and Purkiss/Lancs CB? With Taylor LM and Anderson/Woolery/Gordon RM, Banks DCM and Elsnik ACM, then Mullin playing off Richards up top?  The above is neither garbage or top class but leaves us light in cover. One injury away from really barrel scraping.

Fuck if we had Hussey back I wouldn't be as concerned. When is he due back can't be far off can he?
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 17:55:01 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 17:52:34 »

Not going to attempt a match report. We were pretty shit defensively. RCC has no confidence in his own abilities - that said he was the second worse keeper on the pitch.

Norris is Norris, contributed to three goals today. Does something good, then fluffs a three yard pass. Useful in defending (mostly)  too. Bit harsh cheering his sub (or was it for Woolery coming on?)

We won. That's what counts.

Preston being out is a massive. Gutted about that and could our season.

Any news on Elsnik?
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 17:56:35 »

Norris is Norris, contributed to three goals today. Does something good, then fluffs a three yard pass. Useful in defending (mostly)  too. Bit harsh cheering his sub (or was it for Woolery coming on?)

Maybe that's the solution? Stick him at CB  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 18:02:52 »

Good 3 points.

On that basis I'm prepared to let Flitcroft stay on for another week.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #188 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 18:05:20 »

Maybe that's the solution? Stick him at CB  Hmmm
Exactly. Put norris back there and play mullin with Richards. Today was a game of two total dogshit defences. Man of the match was a mere formality today. Richards has been excellent. Shit game, great result.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 18:07:08 »

It's an option, I wonder if Dunne or Linganzi can do emergency centre back.  Amine is a powerful lad, although I suppose given that Timi looks down again, we'll need him in midfield.

We won this league with a midfielder at CB.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #190 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 18:14:07 »

The back three continue to play as three defenders plonked onto a pitch rather than any semblance of a unit - it means they look ropey when 1 or 2 have a dodgy game.  Often in that game you two defenders within a yard of each other trying to clear the ball, or challenge.

It's odd how our coaching team must have seen we caused them problems when we attempted to control possession yet it was as clear as day they asked them team to get it forward quickly in the second.  We played the entire half, nearly, like it was the last 5 minutes of a game.  It took away any control and opened the game up to the usual pinball efforts, which can go either way.
Think you are being overly harsh here if I am honest. A bit of realism is needed, they have been plonked on the pitch, ones played a handful of league games, one an ageing right back and the other is literally 6th choice centre half. All this on the back of 6 games in 20 days in games where we have had players sent off against good teams.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 18:26:05 »

Talking of mayo, I did smile at his most cynical of yellow cards.

It was just like a playground game where the shit one has had enough of being skinned by 'silky' and pulls him back by the jumper.

(not saying mayo is shit btw)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 18:51:54 »

Think you are being overly harsh here if I am honest. A bit of realism is needed, they have been plonked on the pitch, ones played a handful of league games, one an ageing right back and the other is literally 6th choice centre half. All this on the back of 6 games in 20 days in games where we have had players sent off against good teams.

It would be harsh to call it out just today, granted, but it has been an issue since the switch to a central three and I have called it out before with better players in there.  Also, Flitcroft has always had Purkiss down as a possibility at centre half.

I do like the look of the new lad, I'd be tempted to go to back four, just because they will have played most of their careers in that shape so have more of an idea where to position themselves, especially with the injuries.  The issue is how to play in-front of them, because we don't really have wider players bar Gordon.  Earlier in the season this was our problem, playing four forwards in the roles, which exposes the defence just as much.  Anyway, the biggest issue is the keeper right now.  We should make the play offs regardless but it's going to be risky having him in there in a pressure situation.  It's not a confidence thing, he has been the same since he arrived, just not found out everytime and he was the same at Coventry according to their fans when we signed him.  It's technical and/or mental.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 19:37:29 by RobertT » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 19:23:02 »

Just read Flitcrofts post match interview. tetchy.

As if the media alert other teams to our shitty defending of set pieces..

https://www.totalswindon.com/sport/swindon-town-manager-david-flitcroft-unhappy-the-local-media-alert-other-teams-about-the-clubs-weaknesses/
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, February 17, 2018, 19:28:16 »

It would be harsh to call it our just today, granted, but it has been an issue since the switch to a central three and I have called it out before with better players in there.  Also, Flitcroft has always had Purkiss down as a possibility at centre half.

I do like the look of the new lad, I'd be tempted to go to back four, just because they will have played most of their careers in that shape so have more of an idea where to position themselves, especially with the injuries.  The issue is how to play in-front of them, because we don't really have wider players bar Gordon.  Earlier in the season this was our problem, playing four forwards in the roles, which exposes the defence just as much.  Anyway, the biggest issue is the keeper right now.  We should make the play offs regardless but it's going to be risky having him in there in a pressure situation.  It's not a confidence thing, he has been the same since he arrived, just not found out everytime and he was the same at Coventry according to their fans when we signed him.  It's technical and/or mental.

I agree with everything you said here except confidence is generally a mental element.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: