Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: iFollow EFL Streaming Service  (Read 56481 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 11:14:02 »

Accrington chairman going mad about this and rightly so imo. The 3pm saturday blackout is there for a reason

I agree Tans. FWIW if I was in the UK and was 50/50 about travelling up to support Swindon on Saturday, and the option to watch it at home for a vast financial saving, swings that decision to about a 90/10 in favour of ifollow.

I’m in Turkey at the moment, can I watch the game on this I follow malarkey - fwiw I probably won’t bother.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 11:33:49 »

Yes, you can pay per game abroad as well.

Stream quality has generally been pretty good this season - maybe it's because the footbal is easier to watch!

I doubt this will have a huge impact on attendances, due to the pay per view nature most will take on iFollow.  I presume the clubs agreed to it because they get increased media revenues, so should probably have complained a bit more when selling their souls initially.
Flashheart

« Reply #32 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 11:37:02 »

I presume the clubs agreed to it because they get increased media revenues,

According to the Accrington chairman, they didn't get a say in the matter.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 11:39:25 »

I presume the clubs agreed to it

I'm not sure it was clear to them that this would happen (Saturday, 3pm). At least, that was the Accrington chairman's view.  I got the impression it wasn't mentioned explicitly in their meeting in Portugal.

edit: as above!
« Last Edit: Friday, September 7, 2018, 11:41:48 by Batch » Logged
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 13:32:06 »

Interesting that it'll cost £10 to watch the match from the UK, whereas if I'm 'abroad' then it's only a fiver.
If someone was going to stream anyway then the money saved from a few of those a season will go a long way towards a decent VPN subscription.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 14:07:22 »

I'm not sure it was clear to them that this would happen (Saturday, 3pm). At least, that was the Accrington chairman's view.  I got the impression it wasn't mentioned explicitly in their meeting in Portugal.

edit: as above!

Didn't read the contract? didn't seek clarification?  Too busy hob nobbing?

Either way, it is highly unlikely that this is by virtue of a loophole in the agreement, especially given past sensitivities on showing 3pm kick offs on Saturday and court cases for pubs using foreign satellite feeds.

Sorry, pay attention and do the due diligence.  Too busy looking at pound signs I imagine.  Without going full Reg, it's like people who spent 40 years moaning about the EU because they advert they watched int he 70's told them it was just a trading block, rather than doing some research on the background and motives of the Political Union.
Flashheart

« Reply #36 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 14:23:21 »

Didn't read the contract? didn't seek clarification?  Too busy hob nobbing?

It sounds as though there was no contract. That there was no clarification to seek as there was no debate. It was just done, without consultation.

At least according to the Accy Chairman:

Accrington Stanley majority shareholder Andy Holt is angry and dismayed at the English Football League’s (EFL) decision to allow the streaming of three o’clock Saturday fixtures to the domestic market during the international break.
The EFL is there to represent its 72 member clubs, and Mr Holt feels that Article 48 of the UEFA Statutes (dealing with the audio-visual and radio transmission regulations of national associations) was not discussed at the EFL Summer Conference in Portugal, with no debate taking place regarding any exceptions to the existing blackout on domestic coverage of Saturday afternoon fixtures.

The issue was not made available for debate, and as a result the details within Article 48 were never brought to light.

While Mr Holt accepts that EFL member clubs were written to at the beginning of July, the broadcasting exceptions during the international break were not made available for debate or agreed upon at the Summer Conference, and those exceptions were not highlighted in any form of detail in subsequent correspondence from the EFL.

As a member club of the EFL, Accrington Stanley expects detailed information concerning any changes to rules that directly impact upon the club, and Mr Holt expects a full and proper debate followed by a vote on substantive issues such as this.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 14:32:19 »

also:

Got a letter from @EFL explaining to us in a paragraph that they were scrapping the no Saturday streaming rule. Letter sent in early July when everyone’s on holiday.

Don’t quote paragraphs from past letters to us @EFL

WE DIDN’T KNOW, IT’S AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

YOU ACT FOR US!!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 15:21:30 »

So they did get something, they just went on holiday and didn't check properly............
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 15:23:43 »

They've been advertising this change for months as well
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 15:51:11 »

They've been advertising this change for months as well

Have they? Where?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 16:04:30 »

I got some e-mails, there were some articles on the BBC I think.  I've known about it for a while, and I am sure I am not special :-)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 16:09:06 »

Actually, I might be confusing myself on that one :-), might be thinking of the midweek ones, anyway, separate point.  The clubs need to pay attention when they start selling their souls - some may be fine with doing so though.

edit:  I was indeed confusing myself - I was thinking of an e-mail I had which mentioned not being able to stream matches selected for International TV, which includes some 3pm on Saturday.  Completely different!
« Last Edit: Friday, September 7, 2018, 16:57:14 by RobertT » Logged
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, September 7, 2018, 16:38:51 »

Which is why this smacks of being brought in on the sly at best.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, September 8, 2018, 19:56:24 »

I guess the question is how much from the £10 per person per game does each club get. Presumably if you view via the STFC link then the club gets a cut.

You could see some clubs thinking they may as well get a few quid off those who might not go to a game than no ticket sale at all. Especially for the wet Tuesday night away games up North that only die hard attend.

I would imagine the historically 'big' clubs in the EFL like Leeds, Villa or Sunderland with lots of supporters who live away from those cities or abroad doing quite well out of this deal.

Sent from my HTC U11
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: