Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Does this feel like a promotion season?  (Read 8681 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 13:00:07 »

final is Monday 28th may, division 4

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/key-dates/

Thanks Batch. I am away for the final. Woohoo! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 14:26:40 »

No.

We will lose on penalties in the play off semis, after a last minute Norris effort is deflected off a floodlight pylon to dribble past a stationary RCC.
The officiating team will not notice that the ball had gone out of play.

We normally struggle after an unsuccessful play off campaign, so a long period of decline will set in as we descend to lower mid table L2 obscurity.

Reg will go to DEFCON 1.
Owner, Lee Power, in a rare interview will declare himself satisfied with the progress that the club is making.

Until, many years from now, last game of the season and needing a win to avoid relegation, down to 8 men, a corner in the 10th minute of added time, up steps long serving goalkeeper Vigoroux (who has turned down numerous offers from the Outer Mongolian Premier League to remain with the club) to volley in from 30 yards.

This brings the club to the attention of a Russo-Chinese-Arab multi billionaire oligarch who likes an underdog and who made their money from the exploitation of the former Amazonian Rainforest.

And so begins a financial dope fuelled journey where the club will sweep all before it.

The managers of the big six lead complaints about the unfairness of it all.
Arsene Wenger, clinging onto his job at L1 Arsenal is also vociferous with his opinion.

As large parts of Shrivenham Road are demolished to make way for the new 60k seater stadium, significant elements of the fan base hark back wistfully to the good old days of L1 & L2.

And Batch complains that the season ticket is only being renewed because the great grand children still like to go.

Jayo thinks it's all fucking boring and vows to stop going, again.

The Reg Smeeton Forum, recently renamed after the tragic implosion of Reg carries on as normal.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 14:42:19 »

great grandchildren
cheeky fucker

Smiley

( I'm mostly enjoying this season)
Panda Paws

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 16:01:45 »

We need to go on a run. We've got a favourable run in, and if we perform properly, will be there or thereabouts for 3rd.
Sir red ken

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 19:17:48 »

When we've escaped div2 in the past the Town have been blessed with a good goalkeeper. Somthing sorley missing this time. Yes if we go on a 7 match unbeaten run then well make it but I can't see our form being anything but inconsistant. Looking at the games in hand other teams have over us and how tight the league is we could well end up just outside the playoffs. Hope I'm wrong about that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 19:27:48 »

When we've escaped div2 in the past

It's L2.... Div 4, in old money.  I know it's difficult....
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 19:44:32 »

No but I think we'll blag 3rd on the last day in slightly more dramatic style than the Walsall game 11 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 20:32:56 »

When we've escaped div2 in the past the Town have been blessed with a good goalkeeper. Somthing sorley missing this time. Yes if we go on a 7 match unbeaten run then well make it but I can't see our form being anything but inconsistant. Looking at the games in hand other teams have over us and how tight the league is we could well end up just outside the playoffs. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Phil Smith played in goal in both the 06/07 and 11/12 seasons for a significant number of games. Most would put him in the solid back up keeper rather than good keeper.
Sir red ken

« Reply #23 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 20:49:48 »

Phil Smith played in goal in both the 06/07 and 11/12 seasons for a significant number of games. Most would put him in the solid back up keeper rather than good keeper.
Quite right and I never rated Smith as a keeper(good pro) but the season we went up he played better than our current keeper. He was quicky shown up in div 1..He did play a blinder in a penalty shoot out so he had a few good moments. Just not seeing that from our keepers this season, not even the odd blinder game, just poor mistakes that have cost us badly. Could be my blinkered view though.
Amir

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 21:11:43 »

I fear our problems at the back, compounded by injuries, will see that we don't make the autos. I think we'll hang onto a playoff place, and we must be due a spot of luck, mustn't we?
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 21:18:17 by Amir » Logged
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 21:16:41 »

We need to get back to keeping clean sheets regardless of the keeper. 10 so far this season and we won all those games with no 0_0 draws.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 21:48:19 »

I think we'll hang onto a playoff place, and we must be due a spot of luck, mustn't we?

You can have a lot of bad luck in the PO's.... Preston had been in them 9 times... unsuccessfully, until playing us  Sad

Millwall had never won a game at Wembley, until playing us  Sad

wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 21:57:22 »

So we're done for .... unless we can play us.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 22:06:03 »

So we're done for .... unless we can play us.

I suppose if we were playing Luton in the POs then we could be playing ourselves  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 22:09:26 »

Not really.

But then our last two trips into the Play Offs were seasons if you had asked at the same point in time that fans would respond with a resounding yes.  By the time we got into the Play Offs we were limping.  The post Di Canio end of season - to be honest we did not look like Play Off contenders by the time we got to them.  The Power/Sherwood combo season - we looked very impressive and nailed on until about March and then we looked feeble and defensively prone culminating in the Preston final.  Again, it was a surprise we held on against Sheff Utd, I honestly thought we'd be beaten in the away game convincingly.

This time it doesn't feel as good, but I think we stand a better chance.  I don't see us collapsing between now and the end of the season, so we'll make the Play Offs, and we'll be just as likely to win as lose this time around, meaning we have every chance of going up and competing at Wembley while doing it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: