Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Does this feel like a promotion season?  (Read 8689 times)
sir windon

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 21:57:38 »

Having experienced a few in the past, this doesn't feel like one to me.
Lots of away wins, yes.
General momentum, no.
Near top end of table, yes.
Secure defence, no.
Winning when playing badly, sometimes.
Late winners?
Late defeats, too many.
Growing attendances? No.
Overall positivity? No.
Feeling of togetherness? No.
I don't think we're quite going to make if this year....
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 22:09:58 by sir windon » Logged
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 22:23:55 »

Since the start of the season I've maintained that we can finish top 3 and if we could field our best 11 players every game we still could (or indeed if Flitcroft knew who those best 11 were). That's obviously not possible though and our lack of depth at the back along with Flitcroft's spat with Vigouroux, will ultimately cost us one of those top spots I fear.

I think that come the end of the season we'll narrowly miss out on the autos and be wondering how we couldn't have just scraped a draw at home to Crawley or Barnet, if only a scrappy defeat to Newport couldn't have been a scrappy win or ruing those last minute goals conceded at Cheltenham, Lincoln and Wycombe - I think it could be that close.

Having said that, anything can happen in the play offs and we've shown that besides having the ability to lose to anyone we can also beat anyone. If we were to lose in the play offs we should be starting next season a lot better placed than this. I'm sure we'd lose Elsnik but we don't have a squad full of loanees this time - Taylor and Richards are surely good for another year, sign Banks, extend Preston, get Conroy back from injury, a few shrewd signings here and there and we could be next season's Luton.

Not sure where I stand on Flitcroft at this point, I'd be leaning towards letting him go if we stay down.

So to answer the question I will give a resounding...

maybe... Hmmm

« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 22:27:54 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 23:21:04 »

Reg hasn't mentioned relegation yet, so yes, yes it does.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 06:03:37 »

I just don't want us to have to suffer going to Cheltenham again next season

I come from a land down-under
Flashheart

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 06:57:04 »

Ask me at the end of the season
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 07:01:31 »

No it doesn't. We're in with a shout, but so are so many other teams.

The last couple of times we've been in this division, we've been one of the best couple of teams and in the top three for the majority of the season, and they felt like promotion seasons.
I don't think we've been in the top three once yet and are one of the top 5-7 teams easily, but playoffs is our only hope I fear.

We're just not consistent enough. We've improved since Jan thanks to the new additions, but still dodgy at the back and in goal.

I'm not a fan of Flitcroft. He talks like a politician; meaningless soundbites & clichés.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 08:15:07 »

Quote from: Flashheart
Ask me at the end of the season

sounds about fair.

still think we could finish between 2nd and 12th. i think playoffs are most likely. Would we win them? Anybody in them can win them.

it certainly doesn't feel like an automatic promotion season right now.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 08:52:50 »

sounds about fair.

still think we could finish between 2nd and 12th. i think playoffs are most likely. Would we win them? Anybody in them can win them.

it certainly doesn't feel like an automatic promotion season right now.
Apart from Luton will it feel like it for any team ? Accrington maybe but their running is horrific
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 09:00:32 »

No which probably means it will be. We are due a win at the new Wemberley anyway. The support at Wycombe suggests that not all the fan base is as apathetic as some would have us believe, although believe we would struggle to get more than15k fans to a play off final this time around. Beating Mansfield there would be a nice end to the season though in front of their mainly juvenile support - was anyone else in the Merlin on Saturday when a coach load of what looked like mainly under 15 kids arrived??
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 09:17:49 »

Play off final at another venue would be welcome
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 10:18:12 »

When are the league 2 play-offs this season?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 10:44:12 »

final is Monday 28th may, division 4

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/key-dates/
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 11:07:02 »

It doesn't... But it could be. The last two times we were down here the fans were engaged before the season started with the ex-Premier league appointments and I think that helped big time. Well that and the fact that with Di Canio we smashed just about everyone.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 11:17:22 »

This doesn't feel quite like any other of our Div 4 seasons, and Div 4 isn't like the others with 3 up auto and a PO down to 7th. Which does mean you might go up without it actually feeling like a promo season.

I don't suppose many Blackpool fans thought they'd go up last season when they entered March on 44 points, having won just once since Boxing Day. Then like us now there were 13 games to go they won 8, drew a couple and got to finish 7th on 70 points.  That tells us that there are still a dozen sides probably down to Newport who still have a chance of a least a PO slot.

I'm just glad that Flitters has restored a bit of pride into the players wearing the shirt.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 12:55:36 »

It has the feel of a play off season to me, I still hope the feel good promotion feeling will come.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: