Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Great goals town players past and present  (Read 9306 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 18:55:22 »

It’s a bit sobering to realise how many of those goals I actually saw live. Still reckon that Matt Taylor goal was the best free kick goal - and he likes a celebration don’t he!
I agree about Matts free kick, never seen one hit with so much power and accuracy, yes we have had some cracking free kick goals over the years but that was perfect. The keeper saw it all the way and still couldnt get near it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 18:59:24 »

Craig Taylor scored a screamer on debut v Saturday's opponents.  3:42 in for those not inclined to revisit a time when we actually looked half decent for a few weeks...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19980110

These occasional long rangers from distance by a centre half are all well and good, but relatively recently I've come to appreciate, the proper goalscorers art, the sort of thing that looks really easy, but clearly isn't, as Luke shows on a regular basis.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 21:12:07 »

Taylors goal was class and up there with Guernsey's Roberto Carlos effort at Leeds.

Clems Army!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 22:15:39 »

Craig Taylor scored a screamer on debut v Saturday's opponents.  3:42 in for those not inclined to revisit a time when we actually looked half decent for a few weeks...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19980110

These occasional long rangers from distance by a centre half are all well and good, but relatively recently I've come to appreciate, the proper goalscorers art, the sort of thing that looks really easy, but clearly isn't, as Luke shows on a regular basis.

I think the true test of ability is one on one's.  You have a special bread of players that have a strikers instinct, but I think being consistent at putting it past a keeper in a straight through one on one shows whether or not a player has the combination of a skill set and mental fortitude.  You'll get players who rely on instinct and suffer in a one on one and you also get those that over think it and suffer.

Yes Long Range ones look amazing, but even with a half decent skill set you will get the odd one struck just right.

Great team moves are good as well.  There is a move in the Sunderland 1990 Play Off final with something like 20 odd passes.  In commentary Malone just reverts to calling out the last name of each players as it moves along - I think Foley misses in the end.  Such a shame I;ve always thought, especially as McLoughlin's goal goes in off Bennett's bum.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 22:26:16 »

Craig Maskell impressed me with his coolness at one on ones when he turned up. I think one of his early goals at Molineux was a pleasant surprise in the ease of it's execution. I'd not seen a striker as convincing in that scenario until then.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 22:32:11 »

I think the true test of ability is one on one's.  You have a special bread of players that have a strikers instinct, but I think being consistent at putting it past a keeper in a straight through one on one shows whether or not a player has the combination of a skill set and mental fortitude.  You'll get players who rely on instinct and suffer in a one on one and you also get those that over think it and suffer.

Yes Long Range ones look amazing, but even with a half decent skill set you will get the odd one struck just right.

Great team moves are good as well.  There is a move in the Sunderland 1990 Play Off final with something like 20 odd passes.  In commentary Malone just reverts to calling out the last name of each players as it moves along - I think Foley misses in the end.  Such a shame I;ve always thought, especially as McLoughlin's goal goes in off Bennett's bum.

While I agree, are we not getting into the world of "Great goalscorers" as opposed to "Scorers of great goals"? Yes i'm aware some players are fortunate to do both. Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Bergkamp, Cantona etc come to mind. The England Euro 96 team goal v Holland was a class example of a great team goal. Owen's goal v Argentina was also a stunning individual effort, probably not the goal itself but everything he did to get the chance to was sublime. Gazza in 96 against the Scots was another and obviously Hurst's (Wolstenholme moment) v Germany is another.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 00:35:08 »

I like your thinking on this...

I'll offer.....The Don, for Palace v Manu

and Charlie Austin v Soton

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 01:30:04 »

I'm not sure Austin was a consistent one on one guy as opposed to just having the goalscorers instinct.  Don is a great example, consistently doing the same thing and nearly always coming out on top.  Flip it the other way, it is why Schmeichel was always so good.

You just have players who never look like missing one on one and others who you have no confidence in.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 06:55:52 »

Great team moves are good as well.  There is a move in the Sunderland 1990 Play Off final with something like 20 odd passes.  In commentary Malone just reverts to calling out the last name of each players as it moves along - I think Foley misses in the end.  Such a shame I;ve always thought, especially as McLoughlin's goal goes in off Bennett's bum.
We should have won that game 5-0 - not that it would have counted for anything obviously - the best 90 minutes of football I've ever seen from a Town side.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 16, 2018, 07:41:22 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 14:41:16 »

Did anyone actually end up posting the Evans and Gurney free-kicks. For the record:

@0:16

@5:45

I think Taylor beats Gurney's. Neck and neck with Evans - not so far out, but beat the keeper without any element of surprise.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 15:00:08 »

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Igoe free kick v Bradford City to win a game 1-0 with 10 men into the TE. Quality stuff SSP had got a red, after handbags with the keeper, and someone form the TE jumped out to have a word about it.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=20050110
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 15:01:43 »

That was a great strike.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 15:05:00 »

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Igoe free kick v Bradford City to win a game 1-0 with 10 men into the TE. Quality stuff SSP had got a red, after handbags with the keeper, and someone form the TE jumped out to have a word about it.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=20050110

Had forgotten that - a great contender. Similar style to the Taylor effort.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 16:32:41 »

Duncan Shearer's goal away at Watford, about 20 mins in.

It was so good I bought the full match video from Watford Smiley which is uploaded here

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19890107
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #29 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 17:32:40 »

Duncan Shearer's goal away at Watford, about 20 mins in.

It was so good I bought the full match video from Watford Smiley which is uploaded here

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19890107

I had forgot that goal, good call, that was my first ever trip to Watford.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: