Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Swindon  (Read 8849 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 09:15:34 »

We once had a player called Lucas Magera. He was a full Czech Republic International. His mum must've been sleeping with the Czech Coach and Danny Wilson.
She may well have been but Magera was a Di Canio signing from the "Throw enough shit at the wall and some of it will stick" policy.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 09:37:51 »

She may well have been but Magera was a Di Canio signing from the "Throw enough shit at the wall and some of it will stick" policy.
I thought Magera was quality. Seemed to play the game a step ahead of most of our other players & that tended to work against him imo as at times it made him look shit. I remember one game at the CG where he turned his man brilliantly on the half way line & played a perfectly weighted through ball between the RB & CB but the person it was intended for just wasn't on the same wavelength, making it look like an awful pass. He was also superb running the clock down against Wigan in the FA Cup when we beat them 2-1 at the CG.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 09:50:11 »

I watched him enough to know he was garbage. We had players in that team that have played regularly at a higher level since - McCormack, Ritchie, Caddis, Foderingham, Flint et al. You can't tell me he was too good for them.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 09:52:37 »

Magera goes above Mikolanda in the STFC Czech ratings for me.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 10:09:30 »

I watched him enough to know he was garbage. We had players in that team that have played regularly at a higher level since - McCormack, Ritchie, Caddis, Foderingham, Flint et al. You can't tell me he was too good for them.
I wouldn't put him in the Ritchie/Flint bracket but the other 3 are pretty average in the grand scheme of things. They're just fondly remembered because they did well for us. Magera clearly underachieved at Town but he struggled with injuries & anybody who has played the game could clearly see that technically he was excellent. His lack of pace let him down big time though. I always wanted to see him & Kerrouche get a good run up front together as I thought they'd work well but from memory they were rarely on the field at the same time.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #20 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 10:10:22 »

For me Magera looked a yard behind the rest of our team at times, and had absolutely no pace in his legs whatsoever, made Akinfenwa look like Usain Bolt.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 10:28:39 »

The first time I saw Lucas, he was terrible, I thought he must be better than that.  It was at Shrewsbury, came on as a sub. He wasn't.  Leon Clarke also played and he was no better, but has shown since that he can play, unlike Lucas.

Some on here used to wheel out the argument, that so and so, is better than those around him which is why he looks crap, for Nathan Delfouneso.  Just goes to show we all watch the same game but see something completely different.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 16, 2018, 10:39:26 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #22 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 10:45:42 »

The first time I saw Lucas, he was terrible, I thought he must be better than that.  It was at Shrewsbury, came on as a sub. He wasn't.  Leon Clarke also played and he was no better, but has shown since that he can play, unlike Lucas.

Some on here used to wheel out the argument, that so and so, is better than those around him which is why he looks crap, for Nathan Delfouneso.  Just goes to show we all watch the same game but see something completely different.
I think as well that Lukas Magera never got into the Czech squad again after leaving us tells us something.

He went on to play for another 3 years at Czech 1st division level and score 28 goals but thats not a great standard of football TBH. Almost certainly not much higher level than L2 here.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 11:24:00 »

I wouldn't put him in the Ritchie/Flint bracket but the other 3 are pretty average in the grand scheme of things.

What does that even mean? The grand scheme of what? McCormack played for 3 or 4 years regularly in the Championship, Foderingham is playing regularly in the SPL for one of its better sides, Caddis played a few years regularly in the Championship as well. If you can't perform well with these players around you in League Two, its not because you're too good. He may have been technically good but you need to have more than that - the fact his career never went anywhere suggests that he wasn't good enough.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 11:56:26 »

What does that even mean? The grand scheme of what? McCormack played for 3 or 4 years regularly in the Championship, Foderingham is playing regularly in the SPL for one of its better sides, Caddis played a few years regularly in the Championship as well. If you can't perform well with these players around you in League Two, its not because you're too good. He may have been technically good but you need to have more than that - the fact his career never went anywhere suggests that he wasn't good enough.

The grand scheme as in how their careers have panned out so far. Fods is playing in a League, that Celtic aside, is of L1 standard. He's a decent goalkeeper but hasn't played at Championship standard yet imo. Macca was decent for Brentford, no more than that & probably hit the C/ship a bit too late to allow himself to have a decent stab at it. Caddis had 1 good season at Brum, was a bit part player after that & now struggles to get into the Blackburn side from what I've seen. Fwiw I wasn't saying these players weren't good players at L2 level, they cleatly were, just that their careers haven't kicked on to the extent that Ritchie & Flints have.
   As for Magera, as I said in one of my previous comments, he clearly underachieved with us but definitely had ability & for whatever reason we weren't able to get the best out of him. To summarise I would say there was definitely a good player in there somewhere & deep down he probably regrets that he didn't take his chance in England. Just my opinion of course& Imcan totally understand why the majority would disagree, I just saw something a bit different in him when I watched him play.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 12:19:00 »

Magera has played in the top league in the Czech Republic since leaving us, and won the Czech FA cup a few years ago, so I’d say (Ritchie aside) his post town career has been at least on-par with the rest of the Di Canio squads

Things get better but they never get good
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 12:25:16 »

Will also add that the Czech league is currently 13th in the UEFA coefficients, one place behind the Dutch and over twice as high as Scotland (27th). So I doubt it’s a league two level of football, whoever suggested that

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 12:28:51 »

What frustrated me is that he could not head for toffee despite being a big old lump and had wading through treacle pace. A flop for sure...

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #28 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 12:32:17 »

Will also add that the Czech league is currently 13th in the UEFA coefficients, one place behind the Dutch and over twice as high as Scotland (27th). So I doubt it’s a league two level of football, whoever suggested that
They play in front of an average crowd of under 2,000 and the cup final was watched by a massive 2,500 attendance.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, February 16, 2018, 12:36:15 »

They could play in front of three men and a goat, it’s still a better quality league based on the independent scoring metrics designed to assess the quality of a league

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: