Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Mansfield Matchday Thread  (Read 37354 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 19:36:23 »

Cuts both ways don't it!?

Loads on here thinking we were going to beat the drop last season.

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 19:42:13 »

In mid-December, you were implying that we might be relegated.

By mid-February, without having torn up any trees (in the meantime our results have included our heaviest home defeat of the century) we are in a position whereby we could lose all of our remaining 14 games and comfortably stay up.

Right, if we had lost to Crewe, then lost again to Crewe, etc etc, we might be near the bottom of the table. But instead, to give your example, we were 3 up in 20 minutes at Gresty Road. Why’s that then? Because, even without our new signings, we were a substantially better team than them.

Which is why any rational person could always take it as a given that we were going to finish much, much higher up the table.

Paying heed to below us doesn't imply relegation but rather a need to avoid a season of struggle... so for example around that time we'd just lost to Grimsby which brought them up to a couple of points below us.  They've struggled since... sacked Slade and are 9 points off the drop zone... but played 2 more games then others.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:12:35 »

Paying heed to below us doesn't imply relegation but rather a need to avoid a season of struggle... so for example around that time we'd just lost to Grimsby which brought them up to a couple of points below us.  They've struggled since... sacked Slade and are 9 points off the drop zone... but played 2 more games then others.

Ah right, ok then. I’m glad to hear that relegation never crossed your mind in mid-December...

The Tranny game in the PdC part season has been mentioned and how their thrashing seemed to send them into a downward spiral bound for non league football, and for me it feels like we're on the cusp of something like that
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:29:57 »

Ah right, ok then. I’m glad to hear that relegation never crossed your mind in mid-December...

The Tranny game in the PdC part season has been mentioned and how their thrashing seemed to send them into a downward spiral bound for non league football, and for me it feels like we're on the cusp of something like that

A definite call is usually best done after the Jan window. keep the quotes coming, but at least get them right...

The Tranny game in the PdC part season has been mentioned and how their thrashing seemed to send them into a downward spiral bound for non league football, and for me it feels like we're on the cusp of something like that, unless Flitters can stop the rot.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:38:28 »

A definite call is usually best done after the Jan window. keep the quotes coming, but at least get them right...

The Tranny game in the PdC part season has been mentioned and how their thrashing seemed to send them into a downward spiral bound for non league football, and for me it feels like we're on the cusp of something like that, unless Flitters can stop the rot.

Well what’s the point in making a dramatic comment like that if you’re immediately going to add a catch-all caveat which makes it totally irrelevant?

If we had started losing every week, you’d be all over it, with a smug ‘told you so’ attitude.

On the basis that we started winning, you’re distancing yourself from it totally.

Waste of time.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:44:56 by ferret » Logged
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 21:02:42 »

Who gives a fuck about anyone below us ?, in fact,  who gives a fuck about anyone above us ?, as long as we keep getting the results we have been its everyone else who should be doing the worrying.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 22:34:02 »

After about 4 league games I started repeating the mantra that this would be a season of terrible football, that it was Roulette in style, relying on the fact that we had a few players on the attacking side who'd be better than other teams so we'd win the Roulette more than we would lose and that we'd end-up in the play offs.  The games we won wouldn't be pretty, but we'd take it, the games we lost would be painful to watch.  Likened it to Howard Wilkinson and I hated him, I don't like Flitcroft.

I see no reason to change that opinion.  We have had good runs (where results outweigh the "entertainment") and we had bad runs (which were just awful) and we seem set for the Play Offs.  The January signings seem to have added a little more to the Red's on the table meaning the odds are a little more in our favour than they were, which is good.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: