Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Mansfield Matchday Thread  (Read 37357 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 14:50:32 »

Our remaining home games all look extremely winnable - especially given our recent home improvements. Obviously we won’t win them all, but 5 wins plus a couple of draws should see a good return.

Win another 3 or 4 away and that should be enough for 3rd. Bring it on!

To achieve such numbers, then you're looking at something like the form of our best ever seasons in any division.  Only achieved once in 85/86, that is the size of the task.

Ideally what you want is something like 06/07, when at the same stage we had 61 points and were 4th, but a game in hand, then par form just allowed us to nick 3rd on the last day.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 15:07:15 »

up until the Notts County win we virtually won 1 in every 2 games - 50%

From Notts County onwards we have won 6 from 9 - 66%.

If we can maintain that form for the final 14 games would get us to 82 points. A very slight improvement should guarantee an auto spot and given that we all agree we are much improved of late and the remaining opposition looking easier it certainly is within reach.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 15:21:31 »

Throw in to the mix that after our match with Wycombe, our only truly "tough" games are against Exeter 24/03 and Accy 05/05 (should be decided by then hopefully). All the other top eight contenders play games against each other so points will be dropped from either or both sides.

We have an opportunity to keep our heads, (similarly like Accrington have) when all about us are losing, and blaming it on others. We have a real chance to take the upper hand.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 15:22:43 »

up until the Notts County win we virtually won 1 in every 2 games - 50%

From Notts County onwards we have won 6 from 9 - 66%.

If we can maintain that form for the final 14 games would get us to 82 points. A very slight improvement should guarantee an auto spot and given that we all agree we are much improved of late and the remaining opposition looking easier it certainly is within reach.

I'm assuming that 80 points is likely to be about the 3rd place figure... it's usually much higher but this season because of the relative equality of the sides, that seems a likely figure, however there have been a couple of seasons relatively recently where 78 has been enough for 3rd.  Those 2 are outliers, and it would be interesting to be able to analyse them relative to this.... 08/09 and 12/13.

OK 08/09 was massively skewed by points deductions to Rotherham, Luton and Bormuff
« Last Edit: Monday, February 12, 2018, 15:39:39 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 15:27:22 »

Barring injuries or mass suspensions, I can’t see any reason why we shouldn’t maintain our present form - I was really impressed on Saturday.

One thing is for sure - the players won’t fail due to lack of effort.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 15:33:45 »

Throw in to the mix that after our match with Wycombe, our only truly "tough" games are against Exeter 24/03 and Accy 05/05 (should be decided by then hopefully). All the other top eight contenders play games against each other so points will be dropped from either or both sides.

We have an opportunity to keep our heads, (similarly like Accrington have) when all about us are losing, and blaming it on others. We have a real chance to take the upper hand.

All games are very difficult, when it comes to squeaky bum time... take 09/10 as a classic example, we hit 2nd spot after a nice little run of games against our top end rivals, with 6 games to go... nice looking fixtures v Exeter at the CG, who are just above the drop zone a trip to Wycombe, who go down, mid table Walsall and ColU. We don't win a game.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 15:46:07 »

All games are very difficult, when it comes to squeaky bum time... take 09/10 as a classic example, we hit 2nd spot after a nice little run of games against our top end rivals, with 6 games to go... nice looking fixtures v Exeter at the CG, who are just above the drop zone a trip to Wycombe, who go down, mid table Walsall and ColU. We don't win a game.

Oh yeah absolutely. When it comes to the final 4/5/6 games there are some weird and wonderful results. To us, if that happens it won't seem weird or wonderful because the league on the whole has been a mixed bag. What will be weird and wonderful is if we actually do continue this run so to speak and only lose 5/6 matches between now and the end of the season. We have every chance of success. Likewise, we have every chance of cocking it up. As we all know, when on the cusp of success/greatness, Town have been known to have something go wrong. Let's hope it isn't between now and May.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #217 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 16:13:41 »

There are no outstanding sides this season and I include Luton in that, we matched them for 48 minutes and probably looked better than they did for a lot of that.

If we go on a 4 game winning streak then we could easily challenge for the title let alone play offs.

The way the defence is set up currently makes me much more confident about us not conceding very often, yes there will always be individual mistakes in games or giving away of very weak penalties (as has happened in against Stanley, Lincoln & Coventry recently but these thinsg average out normally over a season.

We are attacking with pace and power now so getting goals from all over the pitch, we can score against anyone.

Even Man City or Real Madrid lose games thats just football, we aren't the invicibles!

Any team that puts a run of 6 wins from 7 games in the next 2 months can get promoted, even at this stage, right down to probably 18th or 19th in the league the league is wide open still.

Lutons current form is LWWLD and thats hardly the form of champions!

Our current form over the last 10 games is WLWWWLWDLW which isn't bad at all TBH.

Although its a hard challenge to catch up the 10 points but it is definately doable if we all put the effort in all over the pitch as we did vs Mansfield.

Of our run in then Wycombe away tomorrow, Exeter away and Stanley at home are the real tough ones looking at the table, so who knows.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 16:24:35 »

I'm calling  'jinx' early on Venks!
------

The league is just like an individual match, such narrow margins between success and failure.

Don't fancy the playoffs much, but we could finish anywhere from 2nd to 13th! we'd all take them if we lose Tuesday I'm sure.

I don't think we can catch Luton myself unless they implode.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #219 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 16:32:43 »

I'm calling  'jinx' early on Venks!
------

The league is just like an individual match, such narrow margins between success and failure.

Don't fancy the playoffs much, but we could finish anywhere from 2nd to 13th! we'd all take them if we lose Tuesday I'm sure.

I don't think we can catch Luton myself unless they implode.
I accept the jinx, I thought the same as I typed it!

The league is totally open, more than almost any one I have seen in our history, Luton slip up just a few games and we carry on winning then anything is possible although a little improbable.

2nd is well within our grasp.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 12, 2018, 16:35:53 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 17:00:59 »

I accept the jinx, I thought the same as I typed it!

The league is totally open, more than almost any one I have seen in our history, Luton slip up just a few games and we carry on winning then anything is possible although a little improbable.

2nd is well within our grasp.

One thing in our favour is we do have a certain amount of experience within the squad of how to finish off a season... including Flitters, who despite the majority wanting gone, did oversee a strong end of season to get Bury to 3rd in 14/15. Chris Hussey was someone who did it with him, and if he could get back for the last say 10 games could be pivotal.

Interestingly, Bury's post window upswing that season came about with a change of keeper.... Flitters getting in Nick Pope on loan from Charlton....  Pope probably now has an outside chance of going to Russia in the summer.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 17:34:06 »

Flitters, who despite the majority wanting gone
There he goes again, it's mystic Reg with his unique ability to read everyone's minds. Who needs the NSA and GCHQ?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 18:03:13 »

There he goes again, it's mystic Reg with his unique ability to read everyone's minds. Who needs the NSA and GCHQ?

Poll
Question:   Do you think David Flitcroft should be dismissed before the January transfer window if the poor run continues?  (Voting closed: Monday, January 1, 2018, 09:27:14)
Yes   - 71 (62.8%)
No   - 42 (37.2%)
Total Voters: 113
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 18:04:14 »

Poll
Question:   Do you think David Flitcroft should be dismissed before the January transfer window if the poor run continues? (Voting closed: Monday, January 1, 2018, 09:27:14)
Yes   - 71 (62.8%)
No   - 42 (37.2%)
Total Voters: 113
Flashheart

« Reply #224 on: Monday, February 12, 2018, 18:14:10 »

I voted yes, and have since changed my mind.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: