Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Mansfield Matchday Thread  (Read 37389 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 01:36:48 »

Norris scored 11 goals in all competitions from August till the end of December, which included time out with injury.
He has only scored once this year.
I don’t rate him, and think he’s a massive weak link. But I think it’s obvious to see he’s not fully fit and his shoulder is playing him up. Just makes you wonder why he’s still starting.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 07:48:37 »

Norris scored 11 goals in all competitions from August till the end of December, which included time out with injury.
He has only scored once this year.
I don’t rate him, and think he’s a massive weak link. But I think it’s obvious to see he’s not fully fit and his shoulder is playing him up. Just makes you wonder why he’s still starting.

Before Richards joined, it was fair enough. We had no alternative. Mullin is too small to be a target man, and Woolery doesn’t have the presence.

But now, we should clearly let Mullin or Woolery play off Richards, a quality lower league forward who has immediately shown Norris up. Richards is fitter, sharper, braver, more clinical, better in the air and better with the ball. So why the hell we aren’t just playing either Mullin or Woolery (who must both piss in Flitcroft’s coffee) off Richards is beyond me.

Aside from penalties (and I gave him credit for those in the previous post), Norris has scored twice since September. To put that into context, the likes of Preston, Linganzi, Gordon and Banks have all scored more in the meantime.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 08:00:25 by ferret » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 08:35:32 »

Richards mobility has pleasantly surprised me. Works hard, didn't notably tire, even has a little burst of pace.
doomster

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 08:59:51 »

Real good team effort shame about the crowd being so low but for once was all positive from the few of us present.  Richards was a constant threat, Preston a rock at the back and great performance from Taylor. 
If they put a shift in every week like that we should be set for round the autos.
Only negatives

Anderson should be on half way when we are defending a corner. 
CRC needs to remove the glue from his goal line as he needs to get off his line from time to time.
What was Mullin thinking at the end seemed like a one man liability

Very enjoyable day out a timely reminder of why live football is the best.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 09:04:15 »

I could see why Mansfield are up there, condense Defence and midfield and play percentages in the final third ref breaks and mistakes, those breaks didn't happen yesterday.

Great battle especially the last few minutes.

Deserved win.

Clems Army!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 09:27:59 »

Just a quick thought about the attendance - or lack thereof.

Only a few weeks ago, against FGR, we had over 7000 with approx the same amount of away fans as Mansfield. So how come 1000 home fans have decided to stay away when since the FGR game we have played well and produced some great results with improved standard of play.

The home element yesterday was the same as the Crewe game. I just don’t get it.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 09:48:41 »

Great team performance, solid at the back, created lots of chances and generally played it through midfield.

Four home wins on the bounce for the first time since 2014?

Thought that was one of Norris's better efforts yesterday.
Won a few headers, hold up play was ok, worked hard in closing down and defending set pieces.
Also, good unselfish play in launching it into the Stratton Bank, to waste a bit of time at the end, instead of sticking it in the top corner.  Wink

Also thought that was Knoyle's best game for us so far.

Glad that someone else has mentioned Mullin's sub appearance.
Must have misunderstood the instruction to go out there and win a few free kicks.

Some of these tight games look made for Woolery to come on for the last 10 mins or so.
I'm guessing that Flitcroft might have a trust issue with him.
On the phone in he did say that Woolery's confidence hadn't been affected, but then said that he probably should have taken him off sooner!!

Safe pair of hands with Kev as ref I thought, although Banks appeared to be booked after a clean tackle.

Hopefully crowds will start to pick up if we stay in with a shout of top three.
A winning team and a perception that entertainment value might be on the increase. Who knows.

Onto Wycombe. Respect is due but at the same time nothing to be fearful of as the away record shows.
Hopefully get the recovery right and above all don't lose the game.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 10:00:04 »

Quote from: Audrey's Bellend
Just a quick thought about the attendance - or lack thereof.

Only a few weeks ago, against FGR, we had over 7000 with approx the same amount of away fans as Mansfield. So how come 1000 home fans have decided to stay away when since the FGR game we have played well and produced some great results with improved standard of play.

The home element yesterday was the same as the Crewe game. I just don’t get it.

I wondered if Crewe suffered because it was close to Christmas in a financial sense,  and it was 'only crewe'.

But that, clearly, wasn't the case. Most odd then that the attendances have started to go down just as we have started to win a few.

Mind you, there were a few games where the announced attendances looked higher than the actual one in the stands. can be hard to judge mind
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 10:05:42 »

I wondered if Crewe suffered because it was close to Christmas in a financial sense,  and it was 'only crewe'.

But that, clearly, wasn't the case. Most odd then that the attendances have started to go down just as we have started to win a few.

Mind you, there were a few games where the announced attendances looked higher than the actual one in the stands. can be hard to judge mind

It is odd - I think they read out 6,500ish for the Colchester game, and I swear that there were more in the ground yesterday
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 10:31:33 »

I can't explain the crowds, other than people go when they can afford to and don't when they can't regardless of opposition and style of play.

The whole crowd issue does need to be put into perspective though. The 6,036 we got yesterday beat the best attendance so far this season for 14 other L2 teams (and was only 5 less than Carlisle's best). Out of those 14 there are a fair few who could only dream of getting 6k (Morecambe, Stanley, Crawley etc)

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-two/attendances/maximum

Why did Coventry get 28,000 yesterday? I could probably look it up quite easily but can't be bothered...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 10:34:26 »

they gave away a lot of free tickets. and the rest were cheap

www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-accrington-tickets-crowd-14265292.amp
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #176 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 10:43:49 »

Before Richards joined, it was fair enough. We had no alternative. Mullin is too small to be a target man, and Woolery doesn’t have the presence.

But now, we should clearly let Mullin or Woolery play off Richards, a quality lower league forward who has immediately shown Norris up. Richards is fitter, sharper, braver, more clinical, better in the air and better with the ball. So why the hell we aren’t just playing either Mullin or Woolery (who must both piss in Flitcroft’s coffee) off Richards is beyond me.

Aside from penalties (and I gave him credit for those in the previous post), Norris has scored twice since September. To put that into context, the likes of Preston, Linganzi, Gordon and Banks have all scored more in the meantime.
That is pretty much exactly as I see it too.

Richards mobility has pleasantly surprised me. Works hard, didn't notably tire, even has a little burst of pace.
He looked rusty in his first appearance but since has been a massive asset and something we have missed for years, a striker willing to chase everything down and tackle defenders even if he doesn't have bags of pace neither do the defenders he is up against and wins the ball cleverly constantly, always available for the pass and takes up great positions inside the box.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 10:45:53 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #177 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 11:11:29 »

As usual a quick look on the most populr forum of the opposition after the game resulted in these quotes, some good some bad some a little wayward (although to be fair msot are very complimentary).

We were on top until they scored . After that nothing . There keeper didn’t have nothing to do all day which is worrying. Thought the Stags fans were great throughout getting behind the team.

No one played well and the long ball didn’t work against them as they had tall players.

I agree about the long ball which was dealt with very well by my Swindon MOM, Matt Preston. The sponsors gave it to Matty Wilson.

You mean Matt Taylor, Tippy, who was the sponsor's MOM. I thought Taylor was the best player on the pitch by some distance, as he was in the game at Mansfield. The difference between the sides, and the only player to consistently provide quality balls into the box. The best left sided player in the division in my opinion and easy to see why he played in the Premier League.

We got what we deserved, insipid uninspired performance

Poor keeping yes but it should have never got that far, they broke at pace and someone should have brought their lad down.

The player shapes up like he's going to cross it. I believe he's shanked it.

We got pretty-much what we deserved this afternoon IMO.
Apart from the first half hour when we dominated play (during which time we didn’t trouble th keeper and they had two good opportunities).
We lost the ball clumsiliy in midfield, leaving our defence outnumbered and badly positioned when they scored.
After that, we harried and hustled, but Swindon rarely looked troubled.

Swindon are a good team, but despite our terrible record against them they were beatable today. Atkinsons chance looked like it had gone in, and Hemmings has two good chances to put us in front.

If we don't finish in the top 3 this season then i hope we avoid Swindon in the playoffs

I thought Matt Preston, Matty Taylor and Ollie Banks were Swindon's best players yesterday. They were the three who I would not have minded in our squad. I'd also still take Marc Richards even though I thought Bennett and Pearce dealt with him well yesterday.
Matty Taylor who is a great pro and has had a great career but still clearly loves playing pro football at the age of 36. Ollie Banks put some good crosses in from the right hand side in the 1st half and is always looking to pass the ball forward. I used to rate him when he played for the Spireites. Some Swindon fans I chatted too said that Preston and Taylor were usually their best two players.
I enjoyed the game yesterday. There was not much between the two teams yesterday and we lost the game due to getting caught out on a counter attack just like at Carlisle United although Conrad Logan should have saved Taylor's shot.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #178 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 11:18:12 »

Their fans are up in arms at the defeat too, want Robins sacked.

@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 11:22:21 »

Just spent the weekend on Dartmoor with no signal so pleasantly surprised to see the result. Good breakaway goal too. Not read back yet to see how we played.
 Pint
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: