Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Player stats this season - inspired by Reg  (Read 9309 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 11:33:17 »

Interesting stuff, based on his interests I cannot wait for the

Eastern European Lasses - inspired by Reg thread!  Wink

There should be some interesting ones kicking around in the Winter Olympics.... might even be a few Russian biathletes, and I don't mean bi in that sense  Smiley
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #16 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 11:33:41 »

Maybe points per minutes played might be a better stat to judge on than wins per appearance?

Be my guest Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 11:35:51 »

Be my guest Smiley
Nah, you're all right thanks!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 12:16:36 »

What's happened to mcdermott?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 12:25:25 »

Waiting for an op IIRC
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #20 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 12:56:31 »

Probably still trying to remove his studs from the Barnet player he cowardly took out in a potentially leg breaking hissy fit.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 18:07:11 »

Can't argue with those particular stats. My qualm was with Dunne's starting figures and more so the reason why the manager has actually started him. Although the percentage would be slightly lower it would probably still come out pretty favourable. Would be interested to see the "Loss - Win %" figures too (without draws seeing as we hardly draw). Also the SR would be a cool indicator on performance too e.g (I'm giving this one quick for ease) Brophy in his "Starting XI" at 2 is 50% winner but his loss rate is 0%. Effectively making him 100% successful when starting. However I'm not sure many would like to admit that as much as I don't like the Dunne stats.  There's a few shortcomings Jayo in the final few fields where the appearances don't add up. Quick look, says though that the % is correct against the real numbers (bold and underlined) as opposed to the initial numbers (bold). Easy mistake to make if indeed you entered them in manually.

Norris       26   14   3   8    =25
Hussey     10     5    1   3    =9
Preston     22   11   2   7    =20
Anderson  26   13   2   10   =25
Linganzi    21   10   2   8     =20

I've got time for anyone who goes to the length to bring up some statistical data off their own back. We know stats will never be flawless, likewise neither will our opinions. However the former does give us certain indicators and can help to obtain the correct decisions. My opinion of Dunne on the field may be maintained. While the sample may well indeed be small, it is all we've got to go on in this particular instance. His statistical analysis shows that for Swindon he comes out at the top end for "Win %", of which I cannot argue with.

Oh and Redbuck, the job has gone. Sorry.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #22 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 21:43:22 »

Yeah the percentages are worked out from the entered stats, I knew I would make mistakes it was quite a long and boring process Smiley Will correct it if I get time.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 21:45:30 »

....Brophy in his "Starting XI" at 2 is 50% winner but his loss rate is 0%. Effectively making him 100% successful when starting.
Eh?
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 22:38:06 »

Yeah the percentages are worked out from the entered stats, I knew I would make mistakes it was quite a long and boring process Smiley Will correct it if I get time.

As much as I love research and stats, I hear you! Bloody laborious. 

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 22:52:25 »

Eh?

When Brophy started for us this season (which was twice) his data was W1 D1 L0. I used his for ease of reference. So while his "Win %" = 50%, his "Loss %" = 0%. Gaining points is seen as success as opposed to not gaining points, which is seen as a failure. Therefore in the games Brophy started (2), his success rate is 100%, as he didn't lose when he started.

It was just an example though. Not saying Brophy was that good though, on paper or otherwise.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, February 10, 2018, 01:58:52 »

Gaining points is seen as success as opposed to not gaining points, which is seen as a failure. 

You need to see this in the context of recent history, where player development was superfluous to gaining points.

So for example, for most fans 15/16 would be viewed as a poor season whereas for Power the sale of Ajose for decent dollar, would represent a success.

Seeing as Jayo did the win ratio thing, could you find about the rules for re-arranged fixtures  Hmmm
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, February 10, 2018, 04:03:11 »

My response was relating to data, with regard to a player. Power's value of the player, for the purpose of this particular research is irrelevant. However, the fact we got a fee (remarkably) for Brophy, could mean that someone may have looked at his isolated "starting xi" data and thought it necessary  Wink

I reiterate, it was purely an example for ease. No context needed. Gaining "points" (via apps:wins/draws) is a significant attribute to a players SR%. I think you're possibly confusing "points" with league points, whereas i'm talking about percentage points relating to a players data because this is a thread about statistical data...

RE: Rearranged Fixtures. It's possibly tied to the TV/Commercial gods somewhere. Not that there is a massive market for a Tuesday night fixture between two forgotten (by others) L2 clubs. We could probably look at the same conundrum of the fixtures release list, that every year seems to throw up some rather bizarre combinations. Not even considering geographical reasoning either. My only other guess on the rearranging is that it would be scheduled as soon as and as practicable as possible. One would assume both teams would agree that they are available (ie don't have a fixture less than three days either side of proposed date) and that's regardless of whether it would create a run of three/four home/away fixtures

(*Edit: Check EFL 5.26.1&2, also covered in EFL 5.28)

I think availability is key. Surely if you couldn't give valid reason for said availability then the club would be in breach of rules pertaining to; failure to fulfil fixtures obligations

(*Edit: Check EFL 5.31&32)
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 10, 2018, 04:05:04 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, February 10, 2018, 08:33:19 »

Good effort, but you could've just used this:

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/StatAttack/PlayerSuccess.asp?Opposition=NO&Type=Most
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #29 on: Saturday, February 10, 2018, 11:06:03 »

Oh didn't know about that, cheers Sam
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: