Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Random Rumour  (Read 38674 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 10:34:40 »

So many that ask to see finances also say they don't trust him. If they don't trust him, why would they believe a spreadsheet made by him? It's pointless. If people are suddenly placated by the finances when/if they are released, despite having claimed for so long not to trust him, then that's equally ridiculous.

Now, yes.
Had he come in with an open attitude from the start it may have been different for fan perception. Obviously if you are a shady character what you present is going to be worthless.
Flashheart

« Reply #61 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 10:37:46 »

Had he come in with an open attitude from the start it may have been different for fan perception.

I don't believe that either, not for one moment. To many, he was the devil incarnate even before he took over the club.

Just my humble opinion, of course, but I'm not buying it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 10:42:34 »

Fair enough. You are probably right

I'm struggling to remember the general perception at that time. Pretty sure I was skeptical of his motives, so at least I'm consistent.
Flashheart

« Reply #63 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 10:44:18 »

I'm quite sure fredi was about before he took over officially, which would pretty much sum up the mood at the time.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 10:46:52 »

I don't give a shit either to be frank. I think it's asinine.

What I do care about is how the team/club is faring, not some popularity contest. Oh, and if he did 'reveal' the finances, he'd only get accused of cooking the books if they were positive. That wouldn't 'solve' a thing.

To be honest, half the fans that ask for the accounts wouldn't understand them if they were published anyway.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 11:02:14 »

To be honest, half the fans that ask for the accounts wouldn't understand them if they were published anyway.

True enough. Jayo is right though, it was Fitton who finished off the AGM's. They were an anachronism, however highly symbolic. Everybody knew that votes at the AGM would make no difference, however there was a sense that the Board had to account for themselves to a body of fans.  That's now gone. 

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 11:02:37 »

I don't give a shit either to be frank. I think it's asinine.

What I do care about is how the team/club is faring, not some popularity contest. Oh, and if he did 'reveal' the finances, he'd only get accused of cooking the books if they were positive. That wouldn't 'solve' a thing.
For somebody who doesn't give a shit you've got a lot to say on the subject  Cheesy We all care how the team/club is faring & in any industry the less shit that goes on in the background the higher the chance of the organisation (team in this case) faring better. Saying that the revealing of finances wouldn't solve a thing is purely hypothetical. There are plenty of people on here with a broad enough understanding of accounts, & doubtless many more through the fanbase, who would be able to understand them when presented. Hopefully they would make for good reading but if they ever turned out to be different to what was presented (in terms of being worse) then he would likely be the shyster that many believe him to be anyway.
   I would say if he's got nothing to hide then why hide it? The more transparent he is the more people he will get onside (assuming the transparency is good of course). The more people who are onside with his way of running the club, the more people we are likely to get attending games. The more people who attend games, the higher the budget available to the manager. The higher the budget, the higher the standard of player we are able to attract. Of course this doesn't guarantee success but it is likely to increase your chances, especially at this level where 1 or 2 quality players can make all the difference. I'm very much 50/50 on LP & maybe my use of the word popularity in my previous post was the wrong choice. As others have said since LP clearly doesn't care how popular he is but he could be doing a hell of a lot more to make his own life/job easier at STFC.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 11:21:32 »

Power may not care how popular he is, but it does have an impact on how the club is faring as it is part of a fractious atmosphere around the club. Publishing accounts would help on the openness front, not publishing them and the Kim Jong Un approach to the media adds to the impression of a distant and autocratic owner. Set against that, as someone has said, no-one would trust them anyway, they would reveal very little (they were published during the Diamandis years but because they were always in retrospect told you fuck all about how much shit the club was actually in) and would add to the running costs - Wray's stated reason for cancelling the AGM and restructuring the company so they didn't have to publish full accounts was that it cost quite a bit to little material gain. From his side of the desk, that was probably fair enough. From this side, I'm with Reg, it's one more element in a club more and more operating as a business that has distanced itself from it's community. Which is clearly exactly how Power sees it.

EDITED because as SiPie correctly pointed out it was Wray not Fitton that cancelled the AGM and moved us to a restricted set of accounts to save money
« Last Edit: Friday, February 9, 2018, 16:50:52 by pauld » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 11:55:46 »

Power may not care how popular he is, but it does have an impact on how the club is faring as it is part of a fractious atmosphere around the club. Publishing accounts would help on the openness front, not publishing them and the Kim Jong Un approach to the media adds to the impression of a distant and autocratic owner. Set against that, as someone has said, no-one would trust them anyway, they would reveal very little (they were published during the Diamandis years but because they were always in retrospect told you fuck all about how much shit the club was actually in) and would add to the running costs - Fitton's stated reason for cancelling the AGM and restructuring the company so they didn't have to publish full accounts was that it cost quite a bit to little material gain. From his side of the desk, that was probably fair enough. From this side, I'm with Reg, it's one more element in a club more and more operating as a business that has distanced itself from it's community. Which is clearly exactly how Power sees it.

If we were doing well people would not give a gnats bollocks about any of this, do you see Chelsea fans clamouring for Abramovich to publish the inner working of the club or give interviews (I am not sure they have ever even heard him speak).

As for the post above, I am not aware of Kim Jung Un giving radio interviews on a comparatively regular basis, likewise Flitcroft is now giving interviews after everyone moaned that Power ran the club, he steps back and now everyone moans about that - too many have bought into the whining from the Advertiser that they have been banned, when actually the club just stopped spoon feeding them stories meaning they actually had to do proper journalism and as they cannot be arsed with that it was easier to plead a ban, preaching to those who want to be permanently outraged. 

I agree that the club should have better links to the community, but as much of the community has made it clear that whatever Power does they think he is a cunt, would you bend over backwards to engage with these people, I know I wouldn't.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 12:24:59 »

If we were doing well people would not give a gnats bollocks about any of this, do you see Chelsea fans clamouring for Abramovich to publish the inner working of the club or give interviews (I am not sure they have ever even heard him speak).

As for the post above, I am not aware of Kim Jung Un giving radio interviews on a comparatively regular basis, likewise Flitcroft is now giving interviews after everyone moaned that Power ran the club, he steps back and now everyone moans about that - too many have bought into the whining from the Advertiser that they have been banned, when actually the club just stopped spoon feeding them stories meaning they actually had to do proper journalism and as they cannot be arsed with that it was easier to plead a ban, preaching to those who want to be permanently outraged. 

I agree that the club should have better links to the community, but as much of the community has made it clear that whatever Power does they think he is a cunt, would you bend over backwards to engage with these people, I know I wouldn't.
Don't disagree with any of this, tbf - Power doesn't help himself IMO, but equally he will always be damned either way with a chunk of our fanbase. The Kim Jon Un reference was, clearly, tongue in cheek, and referred to the freezing out of local media except for the radio who seem to have been accepted as official mouthpiece of the regime. It wasn't meant to be an exact comparison.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 13:07:23 »

To be honest I still don't think there's much difference between Fittons time and Powers in terms of engagement. Fitton would give the odd interview to the Adver whereas Power does this to the BBC instead. Fitton got rid of the accounts and diluted the share values so that most supporters who had shares (myself included) no longer owned any part of the club. In terms of engagement with the community and fanbase that much more controversial than anything Power has done. I think the only really difference is Nick Watkins, he was approachable and you'd generally get a response from him if you ever emailed him, he's was the only person that really engaged with the fanbase. We never really heard to Arbib and Black who ultimately owned us so that fact we hear from Power who is the actual owner is more than we got then. Fitton made mistakes and got us relegated to League 2 and Power did the same.... Power is no worse than anything we've had in the past.

As for accounts all well and good asking for them but if they do what Diamandis did and hide the extraction of money from the club behind titles such as 'Admin Expenses - £1,000,000" then it's pointless.

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 15:39:08 »

it may be obvious which owner is the better and so on at the time.

ie Jed was obviously a """" and a """"

Otherwise I would suggest that the only time to judge is how they leave you (and even then you may have to wait a while before evaluating the new owner.

Andrew Black left us highly placed in League One, he wrote out a cheque but he sold us to the lowest of the low.

Will Power fare better or worse?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #72 on: Friday, February 9, 2018, 16:29:52 »

To be honest I still don't think there's much difference between Fittons time and Powers in terms of engagement. Fitton would give the odd interview to the Adver whereas Power does this to the BBC instead. Fitton got rid of the accounts and diluted the share values so that most supporters who had shares (myself included) no longer owned any part of the club. In terms of engagement with the community and fanbase that much more controversial than anything Power has done. I think the only really difference is Nick Watkins, he was approachable and you'd generally get a response from him if you ever emailed him, he's was the only person that really engaged with the fanbase. We never really heard to Arbib and Black who ultimately owned us so that fact we hear from Power who is the actual owner is more than we got then. Fitton made mistakes and got us relegated to League 2 and Power did the same.... Power is no worse than anything we've had in the past.

As for accounts all well and good asking for them but if they do what Diamandis did and hide the extraction of money from the club behind titles such as 'Admin Expenses - £1,000,000" then it's pointless.

Actually the accounts disclosure was above and beyond under Fitton, it was only when Wray took over as chairman that it was reduced to the minimum published requirements.
It was clear the Fitton game plan was to shape us up for a future sale which was essentially all undone by the Wray/PDC era.
phelpsieboy

« Reply #73 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 08:32:28 »

"After a successful term as Waterford FC’s Technical Director, Pat Fenlon has agreed a new role as a consultant to owner Lee Power on his world wide projects."

Certainly adds credence to this random rumour.

http://www.waterfordfc.ie/waterford-fc-statement-pat-fenlon/
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 13:01:22 »

"After a successful term as Waterford FC’s Technical Director, Pat Fenlon has agreed a new role as a consultant to owner Lee Power on his world wide projects."

Certainly adds credence to this random rumour.

http://www.waterfordfc.ie/waterford-fc-statement-pat-fenlon/

He will either rock up here or over is Aussie with Sherwood as manager
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: