Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Random Rumour  (Read 38682 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 6, 2018, 09:23:20 »

Q1 alienated fans
Q2 both but many sham stfc fans watch melksham even when stfc are at home now and that's a fact.
I didn't call him nasty but he admits he is a businessman in it for the money.
Just my opinion but 1150 home fans shows progress which is something stfc have lacked since ?
Sorry. My memory is not what it was . Enjoy the rest of the season iffy

As soon as any kind sniff of success returns to STFC (and it will, at some point) then I imagine they'll be back. The novelty of non league football wears off when it becomes mundane, speaking from experience here. Its nice Melksham have a community club but its easy when the club is so small.
Pirate Pete

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, February 7, 2018, 22:12:46 »

Central Coast Mariners also have links to Everton & Sheffield United.

G'day all. Our links to Everton and Sheffield United haven't really brought anything to the club.
We did get Nick Montgomery from Sheffield United, but that was about it.
We were going to get a couple of kids from Everton but due to visa problems we couldn't.

So what is your owner like? Should we be worried?

Covert Agent‏ @TheCovertAgent

EXCLUSIVE: Three parties are interested in buying Central Coast Mariners. Swindon Town owner Lee Power (advised by former Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood), Scottish giants Celtic and Australian businessman Anton Tagliaferro.

I must admit I'd rather have one of the other two mentioned.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 7, 2018, 22:18:39 by Pirate Pete » Logged
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 00:24:54 »

Wants to get his own house in order before flashing the cash elsewhere imo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 09:10:28 »

G'day all. Our links to Everton and Sheffield United haven't really brought anything to the club.
We were going to get a couple of kids from Everton but due to visa problems we couldn't.

EXCLUSIVE: Three parties are interested in buying Central Coast Mariners. Swindon Town owner Lee Power (advised by former Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood), Scottish giants Celtic and Australian businessman Anton Tagliaferro.

I can imagine the Celtic option being legit...They signed Tommy Rogic from you guys. Living in NZ I watch a fair bit of A League. Central Coast have a couple of handy players, Danny De Silva is a decent player one the best in the league this year. Also rate Storm Roux as well.

Not sure why English clubs don't take a punt on some players TBH on trial and have a look...needs to be some sort of scouting network branching out this way.

If it was too ever happen unlikely would be interesting what sort of players they would look to send over.
Flashheart

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 09:17:34 »

We we're relegated last season, and there have been numerous questions asked about his competence in general. Still, though, we have also had one of our most successful seasons in recent history under his tenure-ship, along with some very good deals on players. Personally, I would rather have another owner as he just doesn't seem that capable, provided there is a suitable alternative, of course. I still hold out hope that he might hit the right forumula, though. I like his approach in principle, it's the execution of it that's left wanting.

You will find plenty of people trying to tell you this he is a con-man or a scammer and is hell bent on doing all sorts of nefarious deeds to STFC and others. What you wont find, though, is these people providing a shred of evidence for their claims. It's been several years now, and they are yet to present a thing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 09:25:40 »

Lee is hugely popular at the County Ground, sometimes he even has to employ a bodyguard, to keep the admiring hordes at a safe distance.

His popularity is only partly based on appointing the best coach he's seen in 25 years in the game, but raised by giving us our biggest ever signing, the esteemed tactician Mr Sherwood.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 09:37:55 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 09:31:30 »

I can imagine the Celtic option being legit...They signed Tommy Rogic from you guys. Living in NZ I watch a fair bit of A League. Central Coast have a couple of handy players, Danny De Silva is a decent player one the best in the league this year. Also rate Storm Roux as well.

Not sure why English clubs don't take a punt on some players TBH on trial and have a look...needs to be some sort of scouting network branching out this way.

If it was too ever happen unlikely would be interesting what sort of players they would look to send over.
It all depends on if they have dual nationality like Luongo who was part Italian so it made work permits not needed.

I am sure there are a lot of talented players but they would need the work permit to get a team in the UK which is difficult if they aren't already full internationals.

As for Power, it depends on who you ask, for some (many) he is the devil incarnate who won't put any of his own money into the club and is trying make us fold.

As for the rest of us he is just an owner who is not loaded but paid good money (for us) for a few players, he has made a few mistakes but hes just your average lower league owner IMO. He doesn't like to communicate freely with the press unless its on his terms, he talks a good game.

He will never ever win some of our fanbase over even if we won the Premier League, I think that tells you more about our fans than it does about Power.

Power has made some mistakes and is by no means a perfect owner but we have no viable alternative, he also doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to investment elsewhere, Cambridge, Rushden & Diamonds etc.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 09:33:12 »

Done a lot wrong and not very popular due to his lack of engagement. You'll find most of our fans hate him and want him out but more often than not, they can't really give you a reason why other than their own conspiracies they've made up.

Got the club on a stable footing which no one has done for 300 years but naturally, as fans, we do want more. Tries to do things on the cheap and predictably this fell on its arse last season, but credit to him he abandoned 'The Swindon way' and went for a different approach.... Which hasn't really worked out so far but at least he acknowledged the previous way had failed.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #23 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 09:51:31 »

There are two extremes.
On the one hand he saved us from financial ruin and kept us on a stable footing. Never promised us the earth and has delivered on that. Stripped costs out significantly. In his first year we played some cracking football and were one game away from the Championship. Has got some decent players in.
On the other hand, he's taken us to the bottom division and nobody has a clue what the finances look like although the bailiffs aren't knocking at our door. Last season was laughable in that we all knew he were getting relegated but he did nothing but bring Tim Sherwood in which was an unmitigated disaster. He's sold some players for large amounts of money and we've got little to show for it on the pitch He's bought a training ground that is unusable but was it a Trojan horse for housing development? Did he buy it in his name but use transfer fees to buy it? He does nothing to engage fans or try and build any relationships with supporter groups.   
We've got a history of dodgy owners so Town fans will always be on their guard and maybe he's not given the same chance he'd get elsewhere but he really doesn't help himself.
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
For my sins, I'd happily see the back of him. Too many questions and anyone who could have changed last season and didn't deserves everything they get. Last season was as bad as I've seen in 40+ years following Town.
I would be extremely wary if he took over as you'll find lack of information a problem. like everything else, in the void of fact, speculation will run rife. Some of it may turn out to be fact, some of it may turn out to be crap. He is not the safe option.
ChChNZRED

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 09:59:29 »

It all depends on if they have dual nationality like Luongo who was part Italian so it made work permits not needed.

I am sure there are a lot of talented players but they would need the work permit to get a team in the UK which is difficult if they aren't already full internationals.

Most of the talent in the A League ends up in Europe at a young age and doesn't make it, they head back and stand out, a lot of them will already have some sort of links to Europe as well from 15 onwards.

certainly players to look at unrelated to the Marriners there is a young kid playing for Melbourne City he looks a serious talent in the making.

I saw Aaron Mooy play in Christchurch and he was head and shoulders the best player in the league he's now having a fairly successful season in the premiership and he was told he wouldn't cut it in England previously with Bolton i think.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 11:20:39 »

Part of me wants to believe that part of Lee Power does have the best interests of the club at heart.

This acquiring of football clubs is of course all part of a complex international laundry operation.

Move over Coin-O-Matic there is a new kid on the block.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 11:33:13 »

Part of me wants to believe that part of Lee Power does have the best interests of the club at heart.

This acquiring of football clubs is of course all part of a complex international laundry operation.

Move over Coin-O-Matic there is a new kid on the block.

Did Power ever acquire the Montenegran club  Hmmm  If so Coin O Matic, would be an ideal Waterford/Montenegro holding midfielder
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 11:46:00 »

Did Power ever acquire the Montenegran club  Hmmm  If so Coin O Matic, would be an ideal Waterford/Montenegro holding midfielder
Cheesy
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 13:26:39 »

My own distrust of Power comes from a few things really
   1. The way he shut up shop media wise and tried to control that aspect himself
   2. Total and utter lack of financial transparency
   3. Total lack of engagement with the fan
   4. The now abandoned "Swindon way", the club felt more like a shop window than something that wanted to be successful
   5. His past..

Its absolutely a personal opinion, and for every point there is a counter argument.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 13:59:11 »

3. Total lack of engagement with the fan
I know crowds have dropped this season, but didn't think it had got that bad!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: