Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WiFi-BT-Sky  (Read 4669 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 13:21:35 »

Ok i’ll be brief. There are those who walk amongst us who know their tech shit. I confess I don’t so.

I currently have a basic Sky & Sports package at about £71 PCM with no tie in & BT line, broadband and BT Sports at about £45 PCM though i’m not sure if I have a contract lock-in ATM. Apparently my son has a subscription to Netflix at £7.99, who knew, well my Mrs does as it turns out.

I know there are better options but I need to save money and TBH I have no clue where to start.

It is a big ask, sensible suggestions to put me in the right direction?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 13:33:06 »

What do you definitely want in a package?

Landline
Broadband
Sky TV
Sky Sports
BT Sports
All of the above?
Anything else?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 13:37:16 »

If you got all of the above through BT, their website says it would be about £100/month. Virgin's VIP bundle includes it all for £88/month. Both would give you the means to watch Netflix but you'd have to keep paying the £7.99 separately for that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 14:02:24 »

Firstly I'd say work out what you actually want to keep. Everything in the list?
Then work out if you are in contract for anything.
Then work out if you want to tie yourself into an (e.g.) 18 month contract.

If the answer is yes/mostly, no and yes then you have two options
   - ring up and cancel in the hope of getting a discount. Its certainly possible to get Sky down to 50% if you take a new 18 month contract and pay £10 admin fee - you may need to play cancellation chicken and actually cancel. And only take the deal you want. If you don't get it you've lost nowt. The process is a bi harder than in recent years.
    Its also possible to get BT discount if re-contracting. But they a law unto themselves. I got 3 different offers in the space of 10 minutes last time - good, worse (!), perfect!

- Option 2 - shop around, which I guess is the point of this thread and of which I have no specific advice. However you should definitely check out using a cashback site like quidco - they don't always have the same deals as (e.g.) u-switch but sometimes there is a good deal to be had going through them..

Anyway, hopefully someone who has looked at things recently will have a better idea.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 14:10:48 »

I'd have thought you should be able to save massively on that, but as everyone else has said, depends what you want to keep (and possibly where you live). Can you list all the stuff you want to keep as opposed to just what you're getting but aren't that fussed about?
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 14:43:56 »

WiFi obviously, Netflix for the lad which comes through to his room via an aerial in the attic, the Sky from a dish on the side of the house in to the lounge. The Sky sports we hardly watch all the games and (on a separate note even being a Tory cunt i’m not happy paying for Sanchez’s £600k PW) or whatever it is. That’s obscene in anyone’s book. And the rest of the channels are mostly repeats with more advertising time than there used to be.

Don’t use the land line anymore we pay a small fortune on all the Vodafone gadgets, iPad & three phones on contracts.

Bit of a clusterfuck. Also I keep hearing varying comments on the varying quality of BB on offer, live Peatmoor area if that helps? Lastly i’m Loath to put all my eggs in one basket but accept that it have to be such to get a good deal financially.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 14:49:47 »

Sorry, I'm not clear what you want. As far as I can see, you want broadband with a WiFi router (pref with a bundled Netflix? But you may need to still keep that separate), you don't want Sky Sports or BT Sports, you don't want the landline, not clear whether you want the other non-sport Sky channels?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 15:01:00 »

WiFi obviously, Netflix for the lad which comes through to his room via an aerial in the attic, the Sky from a dish on the side of the house in to the lounge. The Sky sports we hardly watch all the games and (on a separate note even being a Tory cunt i’m not happy paying for Sanchez’s £600k PW) or whatever it is. That’s obscene in anyone’s book. And the rest of the channels are mostly repeats with more advertising time than there used to be.

Don’t use the land line anymore we pay a small fortune on all the Vodafone gadgets, iPad & three phones on contracts.

Bit of a clusterfuck. Also I keep hearing varying comments on the varying quality of BB on offer, live Peatmoor area if that helps? Lastly i’m Loath to put all my eggs in one basket but accept that it have to be such to get a good deal financially.

Tbh mate it's probably cheaper to buy a wifi only package from like plusnet or some other provider. Then buy a streaming stick (chromecast/appleTV/FireStick) or NowTv/Roku box. Get on ebay or similar to buy your sky sports passes when you want to. My old man got a month one for £10 the other day. Will significantly reduce your media outgoings.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 15:36:55 »

Tip to get Sky down in price:

-Tell them you're leaving, they will make you some kind of piss poor offer which you probably feel is too much. Stick to your guns.

-Once you've given your 30 days notice of disconnection you'll get all sorts of letters and phone calls. Don't accept any of the offers.

-Wait for a week until you're due to be disconnected and contact them via phone or, as I did, live chat.

Currently paying 64 quid for fibre broadband and entertainment, movies, docs, kids and Sky Sports all in HD. Should be 118 if I remember rightly.

Remember it doesn't cost them anything to send a signal down the line so unless you've missed payments etc it's in their interests to keep a paying customer on board.

Live chat worked wonders for me. I was stalling at 75 quid for all that, asked for a few minutes to think about it and he instantly offered me another tenner off which I accepted straight away. I still wonder how much more I could have got them down if I held my nerve a little more.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 16:41:35 »

60%/12 months was a piece of piss last year. some got 70% offers + account credit to come back following switch off.

this time 50%/18 months was best I could get and seems standard (with a fight). some have got 60% or 12 months re-contract but it seems far less likely.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 17:35:42 »

I ditched Sky when I moved house. Went for the basic Virgin TV package with Broadband - £33 per month. Added Now TV for £7.99 and bought a Firestick with Kodi.
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 19:40:41 »

I've got BT Broadband & sport @ £114pm!!! Can move to SKY who I already subscribe to Sky Q for £35pm on top of TV package, but not being techno I'm worried about Sky ability to cope with WiFi overload...Sky Q, Hive, PC, tablets & mobiles.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 5, 2018, 22:53:43 »

I have recently done this, i told sky that BT were offering me an amazing deal and that i wanted to leave, they put me through to the retention's team who offered what i have (everything TV except SkyQ) it went from £78 to £42 a month, then i done the same thing with BT, but i found that if i took BT TV standard package as well as broadband my bill went down, it costs a fortune to have BT Sports put on your sky box. Also my BT Sports is now Ultra HD instead of Standard definition, my bt bill went from £62 to £46 a month with unlimited broadband
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 13:46:47 »

I have news. Bit rushed be back later.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 20:57:24 »

Well now. Having had conversations with both BT & Sky i’m sort of more in the loop. I can see a minefield ahead with epwhats on offer. Clearly our BB is inadequate. Do we need Skysports! I don’t know. I have to factor in a £135 cancellation fee with BT, however their connection fees and multiroom boxes kind of cancel that out if I stay.skys full fibre and TV package drops down to £52 from £71 ah fuck it, i’m still like a rabbit in the headlights. If i’m honest the basic BT is the winner, however when it comes to the bolt ons then it’s sky. But the idea is to save cash not spend a bit more than current and get the world.

My current 3.9mbs with BT is now being dwarfed by the infinity @ 52 and Sky’s @ 32. Both massive I provements though but which?

I have given Sky notice to give me thinking time.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 8, 2018, 21:26:52 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: