Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Top 5 Town Talkers  (Read 2261 times)
sir windon

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 21:28:37 »

Whether or not people are split on Flitcroft's management abilities, I doubt many are particularly enamoured with his media interview style. Pretty dull in the main. So who are your 'Top 5 TownTalkers'? (Top Ten would have been more alliterative, admittedly, but I couldn't stretch to that!)
Mine are...
1 - Di Canio - pure entertainment, unpredictable, crazy...
2 - Ardiles - sincere, with a musical delivery.
3 - Macari - mixture of impish passion and common sense.
4- King - strangely entertaining, like an extra in 'Minder' that Arthur Daley would do a dodgy deal with.
5 - Sturrock - Calm, common sense, in a pleasing Scottish lilt.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 21:32:24 by sir windon » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 21:35:11 »

love the Kingy description!
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 21:37:18 »

One for the youngsters!
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 21:48:32 »

Andy King for pure comedy. Paolo for the impure version.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 22:22:19 »

Malpas, McMahon
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 22:27:24 »

My top 5:

1) Has to be Di Canio. I lived, at the time he was manager, in Uffington. I'd have the radio on as I drove home and at times, the interviewer would ask him a question as I was passing Saisburys and he'd still be answering it as I parked outside my house. It also seemed that his assessment of the performance was little to do with the scoreline! A 1-0 win might have his players berated for weakness and lack of character. A 2-1 loss might nevertheless be met with pride at his "warriors".

2) McMahon. Why is it that the most controversial managers are among the best talkers? His scouse quippery was always entertaining even when the football wasn't (or perhaps it was all we had to look forward to) and if nothing else, he deserves his place for swearing live on air after his first match in charge.

3) Hoddle. I enjoyed his calm insight, laced with slightly strange verbal mannerisms, as if he was a genius tactician who was still getting used to his ability to speak. Phrases like "Them goals we gave away were giveaways" always brought a smile to my face.

4) King. I always felt that he knew more than he was letting on. It always felt like he was about to give you a revelation which never quite came.

5) Gorman. If only for his attempts to put a positive spin on some of the worst results possible. Claiming that Kevin Keegan had said Town were the best side they'd played during the first ten minutes (after losing 7-1) was a highlight.

"Absolute Calamity!"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:31:02 »

Used to love Danny Williams, his slow Yorkshire drawl and would often start singing "Oh Danny Boy" just because he could.

Back then (I only witnessed it during his 2nd spell at Swindon) he was so laid back in style, lovely man, good manager, relaxing way of talking even though he didn't give too many interviews.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:55:17 »

For all the wrong reasons Paul Hart would be up there.
Curt, brusque, abrupt, terse...

Felt sorry for Vic Morgan on the receiving end, after asking what were perfectly reasonable questions.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 13:12:43 »

Andy King for pure comedy. Paolo for the impure version.
This.  For me too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: