Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Crewe Alexandra Official Matchday Thread  (Read 37488 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 15:51:32 »

The first 6 months of the play off season saw some of the best football seen for years.

And the fans still complained and hated Cooper. "FORWAARRDD"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 15:58:09 »

Only because it was losing football with repeated mistakes week after week.

The first 6 months of the play off season saw some of the best football seen for years.

Playing possession football is difficult, sides work you out after a while... Cooper's team had a purple patch, but 6 wins from the final 20 games showed that we'd been sussed.

Had Power continued with the Dabo, BOO, Barry, Colkett model, with Anton as a squad man,  then every chance we'd be fighting for our FL place atm.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 29, 2018, 16:02:21 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 16:05:57 »

I'd say part of the drop off was due to the Asia fucking Cup. Kas and Mas were mostly shit after it.

quite agree about continuing with the model being a possible disaster though. And frankly I hated last seasons football even more than this
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 16:42:49 »

I'd say part of the drop off was due to the Asia fucking Cup. Kas and Mas were mostly shit after it.

quite agree about continuing with the model being a possible disaster though. And frankly I hated last seasons football even more than this

Kas still waiting to get back form 3 years later.  Mas, has just about managed a Div 2 career, but no evidence that he'll move on to bigger or better.  QPR may just about have enough to stay up, but they are shite, so could easily go.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 16:44:30 »

And the fans still complained and hated Cooper. "FORWAARRDD"

One of my favourite examples of this was the season prior to the PO season, we were away at Colchester and the ball went backwards from the half way line and some woman shrieked 'YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY' we scored less than 10 seconds later.  Brilliant
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 17:00:13 »

Possession based football as purveyed say by a lot of clubs in  Spain, bores the average English fan rigid he/she wants their muck and nettles. You could see that last couple of season's with Luke trying something a bit more cerbral and the fans hating it.

Thinking fans football?

But therein lies the problem, even when it's very good.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 20:09:46 »

Agreed, this season we are competing..

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 20:52:22 »

I do think the next couple of games are pivotal.

Somehow, earlier in the season it felt like the home/away disparity would perhaps right itself, namely home form pick up away drop off.  Mainly based on historic great seasons in Div 4 like Lou's 85/86, a dozen away wins.... PdC's 10 and Sturrock/Wise 10.

Getting a win tomorrow, would represent one of our best results in recent years.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 21:20:20 »

I do think the next couple of games are pivotal.

Somehow, earlier in the season it felt like the home/away disparity would perhaps right itself, namely home form pick up away drop off.  Mainly based on historic great seasons in Div 4 like Lou's 85/86, a dozen away wins.... PdC's 10 and Sturrock/Wise 10.

Getting a win tomorrow, would represent one of our best results in recent years.

Agreed...

Clems Army!
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 21:23:21 »

What do you mean by the modern way?  The last 2 PL champions have played direct football, a variation on the tried and tested. Especially Leicester, couple of big old donkeys at the back, Huth, Morgan. A scuttler in mid field Kante, alongside a lad Drinkwater who could get in forward early to a runner Vardy.  Chelsea similar, even to the extent of Kante and then signing DD. You can allow yourself one footballer... Mahrez/Hazard.   Chelsea's key man... Diego Costa, a proper old skool centre forward.... get it up to him and he'll battle to allow a Hazard some space.

The difference is in Div 4, you're more or less trying the same sort of things with more limited players.

Possession based football as purveyed say by a lot of clubs in  Spain, bores the average English fan rigid he/she wants their muck and nettles. You could see that last couple of season's with Luke trying something a bit more cerbral and the fans hating it.

I've no issue playing direct if a) there are some recognisable patterns of play and b) it attempts to maximise the strengths of the players in the team. Which is exactly what Leicester had/did

Hard to say either is happening at the minute despite there being enough decent L2 players. I'm not anti-Flitcroft particularly but just don't think it takes a rocket scientist to understand/tweak what we are doing
« Last Edit: Monday, January 29, 2018, 21:24:58 by Boeta » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 22:18:33 »

Interesting that he almost got the England youth gig, well at least that’s what he told us anyway but with his ego you don’t know what is true. With his brand of football and man management skills I do wonder what a cluster fuck that would be but then I suppose Aidy Bothroyd has been there for years now. Can only imagine that Flitcroft comes across well over a couple of interviews with all his buzz words and makes him sound knowledgeable. However after 6 months of it you realise he’s just talking utter crap and football manager cliches.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: