Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 30050 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 15:40:52 »

But the original point was that sport is all about winning, and stuff the entertainment. And I argue that it isn't, it's not all about the result, there needs to also be a decent contest and some entertainment as well as a good result. It's a combination, not an either/or

Hmm, if I'm a neutral maybe. But I drive home a lot happier after a win, regardless of performance.... Sure, it's better when we've played well but this is Swindon Town and Div 3 /4 football. It's usually pretty crap. Huddersfield played absolutely awful in a terriblel play off final at Wembley last May - do you think they give a shit?

On the flip side, I work with a bunch of Reading fans who absolutely hated the way they played last season and they finished 3rd... So obviously important to some. How many Town sides have been good to watch and successful? Di Canio, sure.. before then? Hoddle?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 15:51:02 »

I should clarify that there have been some defeats such as the cup games at Leeds, Fulham, etc where I throughly enjoyed myself.

I suppose what I was getting at orginally is it seems that some people would be get more enjoyment if we were mid table playing nice stuff rather than our current situation
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #197 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 15:56:27 »

I suppose what I was getting at orginally is it seems that some people would be get more enjoyment if we were mid table playing nice stuff rather than our current situation
You could be right, for me its win first then entertain after if possible.

I wouldn't care if we won every game by a single penalty between now and the end of the season if it got us out of this league TBH.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 16:12:48 »

Batch is right. That Forest 7-1 match was indeed laughable. I was at that one and i'm sure at 1-0 didn't Peacock hit the bar? We then capitulated and all hope of staying up was gone. Class from the Forest fans though as we started chanting together. Must've been strange to be on the pitch in that scenario. Bizarrely, it was the first Town match I'd took my mate to. I say bizarrely because he was a very part-time Forest fan, yet sat in the away end with me. I don't think he knew what to think when we started singing "We want 8". Poor old Jerel Ifil.

Interesting that in that Forest squad, three went on to win further top tier titles. Morgan (English Prem, Leic), Commons (Scottish Prem, Celtic), Pedersen (Superliga, Njordselland). The latter winning two Danish Superliga titles with Copenhagen previously.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 16:33:21 »

Hmm, if I'm a neutral maybe. But I drive home a lot happier after a win, regardless of performance.... Sure, it's better when we've played well but this is Swindon Town and Div 3 /4 football. It's usually pretty crap. Huddersfield played absolutely awful in a terriblel play off final at Wembley last May - do you think they give a shit?

On the flip side, I work with a bunch of Reading fans who absolutely hated the way they played last season and they finished 3rd... So obviously important to some. How many Town sides have been good to watch and successful? Di Canio, sure.. before then? Hoddle?
Again, I'm not saying success/result isn't important. Of course it is. I'm saying it's not the only criteria. The original post said
Said it before and I’ll say it again.

Football is a sport, sport is about about winning, couldn’t give a shit about how entertaining it is. I find winning entertaining.
which reduces the whole of sport to the result. And I disagree with that. I don't disagree that the result/success is important (which is what you're saying), but I do disagree that it's the be-all and end-all.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 18:24:57 »

Hmmm We've only ever lost 1 cup game to Stoke in 1949.  That of course was the FA cup, we've always come out on top in LC encounters.

I remember beating them in the big league cup run in the days of Rowland & Mayes - went on to lose in semis to Wolves
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 18:43:42 »

I remember beating them in the big league cup run in the days of Rowland & Mayes - went on to lose in semis to Wolves

Lee Chapman scored on his debut for the Potters that night... he had a decent career, and  an interesting marriage with Leslie Ash.  
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 18:56:10 »

Anyway, despite watching that appalling game at Stevenage (and yes I'll take the 3 points), I must have had a bang on the head 'cos I've committed to go to Accrington Stanley

I'm rapidly turning into one of the clubs most loyal fans
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 19:17:15 »

We were pretty good 2 weeks ago at Coventry, we played some good football but somehow got beat.

I sort of enjoyed the 6-1 defeat at top flight Ipswich in 85 too when we had nearly 6,000 travelling fans on a cold Tuesday night in the League Cup, don't remember the football much that night but I felt entertained.
Remember that night well,  it was in the milk cup competition,  at half time some young lads came around the edge of the pitch with what looked like newspaper delivery bags over their shouders full of half pint cartons of milk.  They handed a few out to the Swindon fans at the front of the crowd then proceeded to throw the rest to the fans further back in the crowd.   So far So good,  Suddenly someone started singing 'Throw them back,  throw  them back,  throw them back .................  bloody hilarious,  poor lads got soaked.  One of the best atmosphere's ever that night,  probably only just behind Luton in the Simod cup and the Pikeys at Selhurst Park.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 19:27:59 »

[pedant] we went out on penalties, not Robinsons goal [/pedant].

Fair point, but cup games are a different kettle of fish in that you're expected to lose against a team from a higher league and in that sense you don't really have any expectation.

went to that one as well,  really pissed off, if only Robinson hadn't scored ............. ....   Anyway no ones mentioned the 2-2 game at Anfield in thr prem, what a day out that was !.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 19:29:19 »

I should clarify that there have been some defeats such as the cup games at Leeds, Fulham, etc where I throughly enjoyed myself.

I felt pretty flat after this game I was right behind Pateleinen (sp) when he scored, we went back to the pub after it finished  Grin

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 19:49:18 »

I enjoyed the Premier League season, every last embarrassing minute of it.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 21:19:23 »

Again, I'm not saying success/result isn't important. Of course it is. I'm saying it's not the only criteria. The original post saidwhich reduces the whole of sport to the result. And I disagree with that. I don't disagree that the result/success is important (which is what you're saying), but I do disagree that it's the be-all and end-all.
I'm not sure Abrahammer's comment that you quote necessarily means that the final result is everything. Even the most un-entertaining game that ends in a win can elicit some kind of emotional response. Desperately hanging on for an undesrved 1-0 win can be 'entertaining', experiencing schadenfreude at the expense of opposition fans or a particularly dislikeable opposition player can be 'entertaining'. I suppose this fits with your not 'black or white' comment and how you define 'entertainment' but I can definitely feel entertained by the football experience even when the football itself hasn't been entertaining. 
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: