Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 30051 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:45:23 »

We were pretty good 2 weeks ago at Coventry, we played some good football but somehow got beat.

I sort of enjoyed the 6-1 defeat at top flight Ipswich in 85 too when we had nearly 6,000 travelling fans on a cold Tuesday night in the League Cup, don't remember the football much that night but I felt entertained.

Cup defeats are different to league defeats because the most enjoyable defeats were against big teams. I missed leeds (unfortunately) but listened to it, stoke away was a cracking night which ended in defeat and that fulham away was fantastic- all fantastic turn out by town fans trying to upset a prem team
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:49:26 »

I've only been reasonably happy/entertained at one defeat and that was at molineux a couple of years back.We played some superb football that day.

We were incredible that day, Kasim played out of this world
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:50:06 »

Cup defeats are different to league defeats......  stoke away was a cracking night which ended in defeat

Hmmm We've only ever lost 1 cup game to Stoke in 1949.  That of course was the FA cup, we've always come out on top in LC encounters.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 13:09:48 »

We were pretty good 2 weeks ago at Coventry, we played some good football but somehow got beat.

I sort of enjoyed the 6-1 defeat at top flight Ipswich in 85 too when we had nearly 6,000 travelling fans on a cold Tuesday night in the League Cup, don't remember the football much that night but I felt entertained.
A magical night.

Entertainment came mainly from ourselves.

Imagine if we HAD won!
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 13:13:56 »

Hmmm We've only ever lost 1 cup game to Stoke in 1949.  That of course was the FA cup, we've always come out on top in LC encounters.
  for some reason that (having checked) 3-4 win felt like a defeat. i remember the stoke big guns coming on as subs and turning the match around. lets go with Fulham instead!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 13:17:47 »

Was going to add Forest away 7-1 defeat but Batch beat me to it. So instead I'll go with another League Cup defeat - going out to a Paul Robinson goal in the last couple of minutes against Leeds away, we were superb, thoroughly entertained and very proud of the team.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #186 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 13:18:21 »

A magical night.

Entertainment came mainly from ourselves.

Imagine if we HAD won!
That optimism went after about 5 mins though when Key conceded on his debut! great night out, almost exactly the same amount of away fans as home fans.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #187 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 13:20:02 »

Was going to add Forest away 7-1 defeat but Batch beat me to it. So instead I'll go with another League Cup defeat - going out to a Paul Robinson goal in the last couple of minutes against Leeds away, we were superb, thoroughly entertained and very proud of the team.
I didn't go to Lids away but on the radio it sounded superb...right up till that fucking goal by the keeper Robinson.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 13:39:29 »

[pedant] we went out on penalties, not Robinsons goal [/pedant].

Fair point, but cup games are a different kettle of fish in that you're expected to lose against a team from a higher league and in that sense you don't really have any expectation.
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 13:52:45 »

Lou Macaris red and white army
Lou Macaris red and white army............

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 14:01:06 »

Quote from: Peter Venkman
I didn't go to Lids away but on the radio it sounded superb...right up till that fucking goal by the keeper Robinson.

I did and I was thoroughly pissed off all the way home.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 14:04:39 »

[pedant] we went out on penalties, not Robinsons goal [/pedant].

Fair point, but cup games are a different kettle of fish in that you're expected to lose against a team from a higher league and in that sense you don't really have any expectation.

But the original point was that sport is all about winning, and stuff the entertainment. And I argue that it isn't, it's not all about the result, there needs to also be a decent contest and some entertainment as well as a good result. It's a combination, not an either/or
china red

« Reply #192 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 14:35:22 »

The Leeds game was one of my favourite town games.  1998 WC loss against Argentina is my favourite England game.

Lost both games but fantastic performances
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 14:37:36 »

that England game we spanked Holland in during Euro 96 was good. not that I was actually there mind
adje

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 14:59:37 »

We were incredible that day, Kasim played out of this world

Yep him and Luongo. Pritchard and Mason

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: