Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 30738 times)
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 18:41:13 »

Football-wise this season is nowhere near as skillful or dominant as the PDC promotion season.

However, it is sooo much better than last season. We can score from set pieces, we're scoring from crosses coming in from out wide, we're scoring because of midfielders getting in and around the box.

Yes, there have been some dire performances and results, but overall we're pretty much getting what many called for as last season's pathetic efforts hit home.

I'm still not convinced we'll make the play-offs, but compared to last season, it's progress.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 20:12:20 »

As poor as the football is, one thing that can't be questioned is the commitment from the players.

Unlike most of last season at least these guys look like they give a shit
normy

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 06:50:09 »

As poor as the football is, one thing that can't be questioned is the commitment from the players.

Unlike most of last season at least these guys look like they give a shit

This

ust be the oldest
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 10:36:25 »

Said it before and I’ll say it again.

Football is a sport, sport is about about winning, couldn’t give a shit about how entertaining it is. I find winning entertaining.

Admitally i’ve been to about 8 games this season and only seen us fail to win once so I haven’t had to witness some of the more frustrating games.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 10:51:34 »

Plus, sometimes, watching/moaning about a shit match can be entertainment in itself. So bad its good if you like.

Well for some of us anyway.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 11:52:21 »

Football is a sport, sport is about about winning, couldn’t give a shit about how entertaining it is. I find winning entertaining.
If it was just about winning, why bother going to watch? Just wait for the result to come through on Ceefax (one for the teenagers, there) and have a mild cheer. Sport is always about entertainment, it is a contest so some portion of that entertainment comes from the result but it is not the only factor. As with most things in life, it's not an either/or, it is a sliding scale not a binary switch
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 11:58:40 »

Meh, I see his point. We could play the best game in the world but if we lose I'm gonna be going home pissed off.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:11:42 »

a poor game to me is irrelevant if it results in 3 points. i struggle to watch friendlies because nothing is at stake, good entertainment but nothing to show for it.

imagine playing a season of entertaining friendlies. every time i watch swindon i know there are easier options to watching better entertaining football but you dont because its swindon you want to watch and do well. its all about the points and chasing success. everyone wants to target a promotion and points are what makes that.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:20:00 »

Admitally i’ve been to about 8 games this season and only seen us fail to win once so I haven’t had to witness some of the more frustrating games.

Please come more often. Wink

For me this is the order:

Being STFC
Winning in style
Winning

The beauty of actually attending is sharing.  

That can mean:

feeling sick
feeling profoundly depressed
feeling stressed
feeling righteous anger
feeling disgust
feeling cheated
feeling contented
feeling relieved
feeling satisfied
feeling endorphins
feeling euphoric
feeling ecstatic

Together
adje

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:25:19 »

I've only been reasonably happy/entertained at one defeat and that was at molineux a couple of years back.We played some superb football that day.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:28:49 »

Together

The only way to get through Wembley aftermaths (x3) was knowing there were thousands more of us feeling the proverbial sick as a parrot. And that somehow we'd get 'back', mostly by bickering and sarcastic retorts between ourselves. 

Said it before, its like therapy, but much much cheaper.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:29:21 »

Meh, I see his point. We could play the best game in the world but if we lose I'm gonna be going home pissed off.
Equally we've watched some fucking crap wins and not really enjoyed the game even if we were glad they ground out a result. Like I said it's not a binary either/or. It's a combination of entertainment and result.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:31:53 »

I've only been reasonably happy/entertained at one defeat and that was at molineux a couple of years back.We played some superb football that day.

Some years back we got beat by Man City, 3-4 at the CG.  It was a horrible wet day, but a great game....

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19880115
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #178 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:39:37 »

We were pretty good 2 weeks ago at Coventry, we played some good football but somehow got beat.

I sort of enjoyed the 6-1 defeat at top flight Ipswich in 85 too when we had nearly 6,000 travelling fans on a cold Tuesday night in the League Cup, don't remember the football much that night but I felt entertained.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Thursday, February 1, 2018, 12:42:16 »

The 7-1 (Benjamin, Offside) at Forest was a bit of a laugh too. So bad it was bad. But you can have a laugh about it all, or sit and sulk. We were obviously going down, so gallows humour kicked in.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: