Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 30049 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:22:28 »

Well I have learnt something....

They haven't been called Stevenage Borough for 8 years, that passed me by....

I think they should restore it... I'm not sure if their fans protested.  We had a debate a few years back when Swindon applied for city status, as to whether the FC should become Swindon City  Hmmm  I remember when Swansea went from Town to City in the 60's. 
adje

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:26:49 »

Looking at the standard of man Utd 's second string players at Yeovil I would say even prem standards ate dropping

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:37:34 »

Looking at the standard of man Utd 's second string players at Yeovil I would say even prem standards ate dropping

In the Prem, you've the top 6, then Leicester, and the rest are in a relegation battle, they can't afford to lose. Therefore they mostly play largely negative defensive %age football.  Burnley got their battle over early, by mastering the style.

Watching Newcastle v Man City, was like San Marino v Germany.  Not what English football should be about.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:56:58 »

Despite the appalling Game, I quite enjoyed watching us defend as we didn't once look flustered and they never looked like scoring.

Don't often get that when I've watched us. We are a half decent side and we could definitely play the ball on the ground more. Elsnik/banks/keshi have the ability in that midfield.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:09:02 »

Still seems bizarrely negative on here given we won our 10th away game of the season last night to move 2 points from second, and to go 5 wins in 6... Horrible night, shit weather, and we win 1-0 with a set piece goal and afforded them next to nothing in terms of chances. Seems pretty perfect to me.
I didn't go last night so sort of half listened to the second half on the radio. Half listened because it was a bit dull. So having not gone, I'm very pleased with a decent away result, it's impact in terms of momentum and our league place. If I had gone, I'd still be pleased by all that but from what I can gather from what I heard on the radio, I might also have been a bit fed up with some pretty crap football. Don't think there's anything especially bizarre by people appreciating the result, but not enjoying the way it was achieved. And for the record, I'll happily take a series of crap 1-0s for the rest of the season if it gets us up, as I think everyone will. But that doesn't mean I'll enjoy it.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:09:36 »

As it stands. So Wycombe won and it's now only 6pts separating 9 teams. Even if we only get a point from Lincoln on Saturday we still have that crunch match versus Accrington next week. The football aside, two stand-out positives from the last two matches; Another home win (Is that three home wins on the spin in the league? Yes it is) and a win on a Tuesday night (as well as getting our away form back on track). Win against Lincoln on Saturday and that'll really apply the pressure on the top 3.

Team              P   GD   Pts
======================
4   Coventry       29   13   50
5   Mansfield      29           11   50
6   Swindon       29             5   50
7   Accrington    28           14   49
----------------------------------------
8   Lincoln City   29           13   48
9   Exeter          27             5   48
10   Newport       30             5    46

I've now predicted our last four matches; W, L, W, W (see v Barnet thread) with a draw predicted for Lincoln. I think we can do a number on the Imp men though. It's certainly going to be a tight one for autos and the play-off spots. There's going to be some extremely miffed faces come May. Fans wondering if their team has only won or drawn one more match or scored a few more goals they could be in the play-offs, even in an automatic spot. My belief is you manifest these things. I don't think many of us have truly believed we can make autos or what not. The style of play doesn't help and I'm still not sold on the manager taking us any further than promotion. However as the results keep scraping in, and the points keep getting accrued, i'm starting to believe that we can do it. The last two results should have given the lads some confidence that they can win from behind and work hard to grind out an important win. Success breeds success and now we should really get behind Town and push for the autos in this final third of the season. COYR!

Interesting that you missed off the number of wins... Wink

We have more wins than every other team in the league, except Luton
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:23:56 »

I realise that the defence is a bit of an Achilles heel, but  us and Wycombe have conceded 40, then you have to look down to 14th placed Stevenage (41) to find anyone worse.

We are the 5th best scorers in the league though, so that helps.

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:25:23 »

On paper this team is very good. It's just a shame they're fucking shit on grass (to watch).
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:30:33 »

On paper this team is very good. It's just a shame they're fucking shit on grass (to watch).

Got to be honest, I've no idea whether we are under or over achieving at the moment. Div 4 as redefined what "good" is, at lest for this level.

RCC, Preston (mostly), Elsnik and probably Banks and Richards look good to me.
Still not convinced on a lot of the others, whether there is potential there to kick on (Gordon, Anderson, Woolery) or whether they may well get jettisoned into the lower league for eternity ( Norris, Dunne).

Either way ignorance is bliss.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:40:20 »

I think it is a massive acheivement that we already have 10 away wins in the league with 9 away games left to play.

Thats 1 more than we got in the promotion season of 68-69 and equalled the total that we had under PdC in 2011-12!

We had 12 under Macari in 85-86 in Div 4 then 11 the season after 86-87.
The highest total being under Muckman in 95-96 with 13.

Yes we have a fair few tough away games left but we could easily eclipse the current record which would be some acheivement.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:43:49 »

Can't argue with that!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:54:46 »

Anyone seen a figure for the away support
Panda Paws

« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:56:23 »

Anyone seen a figure for the away support

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 16:29:55 »

Interesting that you missed off the number of wins... Wink

We have more wins than every other team in the league, except Luton

Haha! Didn't wanna bring that up again  Wink Naa tbh I copied and pasted that of the BBC Sport site. Just the table down the sidebar. I think we can win at least 5 of our remaining 9 away games and IF our home form seems to have turned the corner, I can see us winning 3 or 4 of the remaining 8. We don't really draw do we? I'd guess there's 1 or 2 left in there somewhere. Would we be happy with another c30 points to take us to 80 come the season end? It's going to come down to 1 or 2 pts that's for sure.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 17:00:33 »

Best moment other than the goal was when Flitters was getting bollocked by the ref and a shout went up:

'Send him to the back of the stands....three rows back!'

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: