Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Other Teams Have You Followed?  (Read 14147 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 20:55:39 »

Spurs just because my old man supported them, certainly a case of following them rather suppporting them for me though
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 21:10:41 »

Always been a Town fan (45 years), although there were/are times I wish I had another option.  Used to go & watch Borussia Mönchengladbach during my Germany tours & occasionally PSV, but due to my family descending from Hungerford/Ramsbury it's always been Swindon.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 21:36:10 »

In no particular order,

Chelsea - when I was about 6 we had to buy a football kit for football at school, Giles in Carterton only had Chelsea and Swansea shirts and I liked blue.... However they have come to personify everything that's wrong with football so no interest now.

Barcelona - it's a difficult one as it's become so cliched to like them, but my interest goes back to 1982 when my mate went on holiday to Spain and came back with a Maradona Barca shirt, it was all so exotic. Also expanded a bit in the 90's when I lived in Newcastle and there is a bit of a thing between the two, what with being in the North East and having a strong regional identity.

Newcastle - lived there for 5 years including the Keegan years, hard not to get whipped up in it all plus still got a lot of Geordie friends. Incidentally that time has also fostered a pathological hatred on Manchester United.

Gateshead - went to most home games for 2-3 years when I lived up there, likewise Lancaster City when lived there. Looking to try and get to Barrow at some stage....

Forfar - absolutely no idea, assume I just liked the name....

However as I am struggling to get inspired by football at the moment, it's all a bit meh..
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 22:10:48 »

Lillestrøm SK - Jan's former club and my 'local' club in Norway. Won the cup last year, which was nice.
Fulham - always been a club I kind of had a soft spot for and then I ended up living nearby.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 23:23:00 »

There are other teams I have soft spots for but don't follow

Exeter - good friend of mine supports them and my dad did briefly when he lived there
Cardiff/Swansea - just because I live in South Wales most of my friends support either one or the other (most around here support Liverpool/Chelsea and the like but I don't associate with them  Cool)
Rosenborg BK - a good friend from uni lives not far from their ground, he's the reason I fell in love with Norway.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 01:25:11 »

Ajax - as a kid found the total football awesome and with great players like Cruyff, Neeskins et al I was a fan. Have been to Amsterdam Arena a few times over the years and still get to see great young players like Zlatan, Suarez, Eriksen and more and watch them on Sky, though quality has definitely gone down with Premier League snapping up good players at younger ages now.
Crystal Palace - had a soft spot when Don Rogers moved there, they were my local team for 8 years and have a good friend who is a season ticket holder.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 07:30:04 »

Growing up liked Wolves. David Wagstaffe was a particular favourite. Started going to see the Town and that was it. When Swindon lost to Wolves in the semis of the LC, that was it - no more soft spot for Wolves. Took a bit of a kicking up there as well that didn't help.
Some clubs I'm apathetic about others I detest - the usual suspects, Scum, Traders, Franchise.
I do have a soft spot though for Montrose. Can't remember why but I do hope to get up there to see them before I peg it.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 08:09:52 »

Argyle is one that I follow now having lived here for 9 years or so, been to 30odd games.
Keep an eye out for Southampton as my dad/grandad/uncle all support them.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 08:53:09 »

I've been Swindon mad since I could walk but I did "support" West Ham as well as a kid (the support extended to I'd get their kit every other year). Can't say I support them at all now but do look out for their results, but generally don't lose sleep if they lose. I went to watch Ipswich a few times with an ex-girlfriend too and became quite fond of them. I've remained on really good terms with her and her family so always look out for the Tractor Boys now. Similarly, she's still following Swindon and her current fella is an Oxford fan.. Can imagine that goes down well.

Always admired Barcelona too, both times they played United in the CL final I cheered for Barca. Went to watch them a couple of weeks ago and they're a fantastic club.
Panda Paws

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 09:14:30 »

Watford - one of my best mates supports them and I often go and watch them, maybe 4-5 times a season.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 10:33:07 by Panda Paws » Logged
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 09:49:07 »

Having live in Brighton on and off now for 20 years I follow whitehawk, I lived on the estate for a while. It’s like penhill got a benefactor.

Also go to watch CD Mijas, and Malaga when visiting my parents
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 10:14:24 »

Hearts - due to living in Edinburgh. Had a season ticket they won the Scottish Cup and split the old firm.

Avenir Beggen - similarly when I lived in Luxembourg. A group of ex-pats that wanted to watch regular football picked Beggen (as their website had a section in English). When we started watching they were in the top league, first game we went to was a 9-0 defeat away at their local rivals and it never really got any better. They are currently in the third division which is pretty sad as historically they have played quite a few big names in the relevant European competitions, and Ipswich Town back in the early 2000s.

I sometimes go and watch Fulham now as its local and a decent afternoon out.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 10:21:26 »

Hearts - due to living in Edinburgh. Had a season ticket they won the Scottish Cup and split the old firm.

I forgot to add that Hibs are the Scottish team I follow, been a few times including seeing them end Hearts’ unbeaten run in the season you mention

Being part of the Sunshine on Leith rendition is a spine tingling experience. Best club anthem going bar none
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 10:38:13 »

Oh forgot to mention, follow the Gibraltar national team.

Went to see them play Cyprus last year. God they are shite.
Even have one bloke playing for them who plays in the Hellenic League!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 11:04:40 »

I started going to watch Swindon in 1996 when it was kid for a quid, watched until I was about 16/17 then stopped going once I had to buy adult tickets - just couldn't afford it.

I started getting back into football when I bought my first house in about 2005, culminating in buying Sky Sports and watching Arsenal's champion's league run in 2005/06 on the telly. Was thinking I might start supporting Arsenal when Dennis Wise was employed by the town and I looked into getting a season ticket, found this place and I've had a season ticket ever since.

Had I not bought a season ticket for Town, I'd have probably ended up 'supporting' Arsenal.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: