Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comedy Corner  (Read 46863 times)
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 22:40:52 »

Kitson was, I think Im right in saying, not keen on TV and general 'celebrity' after appearing in Phoenix Nights as Spencer the barman.  He sort of quit then to just do live performance and has managed to keep most of his stuff away from the web.

His badly maintained website and mailing list are the best places to get any of his stuff and the bandcamp page has a few bits for a fiver.  Very much worth it.  

http://danielkitson.bandcamp.com/

http://www.danielkitson.com/index.html

And Ells - Stewart Lee did a work in progress of that show at the Chippenham Comedy festival way back in Septemeber 2016 (maybe when I saw Venkman) even at that stage it was brilliant.  You'll have a great time.

Never knowingly overstated.
Amir

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 22:58:46 »

I'm off to FINALLY see Stewart Lee in February, so I'm glad to hear he's gone off the boil Cheesy

You may feel completely differently, although a friend who loves him said the same when I brought it up. I thought the last series was pretty awful, he actually seems jaded rather than just pretending to be. I think people will still laugh because it's him, but how long can he keep going with 'the people over that side don't get it' or one of his other stock phrases? It's a shame because I adored him, I think 'Give it to me straight like a pear cider' is possibly the finest piece of performance art I've ever seen.

I've signed up to DK's mailing list now, thanks all.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 23:13:13 »

I'm not sure how much of the Phoenix Nights thing was Kitson hating fame and how much was him hating Kay and what happened to PN. I know who comes out looking better, though.

And cheers Saxo, it's one off my comedy bucket list if nothing else Smiley

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #18 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 08:03:37 »

Been to say Craig Campbell after he supported Frankie Boyle on his tour about 5 or 6 years ago. Was very good. Seen a lot of Gary Delaney, but not live, mainly his Mock the Week stuff. Isn't he married to Sarah Millican??
He is indeed, his live stand up is fantastic, probably my all time favourite stand up and a lovely bloke too.

And Ells - Stewart Lee did a work in progress of that show at the Chippenham Comedy festival way back in Septemeber 2016 (maybe when I saw Venkman) even at that stage it was brilliant.  You'll have a great time.
Stewart Lee is superb and when me and Saxondale saw him he did a near 2 hour set of all new material, so so good, before the gig he turned up and went into the changing room and when asked if he wanted anything he repied "do you have an vinyl record collections for me to look through" to which Wil gave him a box full of old LPs which he happily spent an hour going through.

Cannot recommend im highly enough.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 22, 2018, 08:07:00 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 08:09:30 »

Talking of which Suzie Bennett is at the Chippenham Comedy Club this coming Thursday, she is also very good live and an old friend, worth a visit to the Old Road Tavern in Chippenham.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 16:58:17 »

I did it once egged on by Wil Hodgson, never again, frightening, Nemo also has done some stand up too.

Indeed I did, I was pretty dreadful but it was a good experience. Trying to make people laugh makes any other kind of public speaking you do after an absolute doddle. Not doing it any more, but quite fancy doing a bit of comedy writing or improv (which are admittedly at opposite poles of the 'things I hate about stand-up' meter, but there you go) at some point.

Not got many recommendations beyond the ones earlier in this thread (Mark Olver in particular is a lovely fella, was my MC/coach when I did it the first time), but if you're in or around London, the Comedy Store is a great Friday night, especially if you don't know anyone on the bill.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:08:06 »

Indeed I did, I was pretty dreadful but it was a good experience.

I was chatting to someone recently who had a degree in stand up comedy, think it may have been an element of a wider comedy degree.

Isn't education great.....
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:10:00 »

I was expecting a punch line there Reg, and you didn't deliver it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:12:38 »

I was expecting a punch line there Reg, and you didn't deliver it.

I'll leave it to you pro's...

Here you go...

I was chatting to someone recently who had a degree in stand up comedy.....
« Last Edit: Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:14:56 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 23:02:44 »

Here you go...

I was chatting to someone recently who had a degree in stand up comedy.....

He said you have to be 180 or it doesn't count as "stood up"

..I won't give up my day job.  Suicide

I've just discovered I'm going to see Joe Lycett soon too, don't know much about him so will be interesting.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 23:13:26 »

He said you have to be 180 or it doesn't count as "stood up"

..I won't give up my day job.  Suicide

Do you use a protractor? she said might work better...
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 23:14:57 »

Do you use a protractor? she said might work better...

A joint effort, I like it  Pint

My Dad is still livid about someone doing a PhD in Alfred Hitchcock that he saw on Pointless about a month ago.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 23:20:45 »

Here you go...

I was chatting to pulled someone recently who had a degree in stand up comedy.....

...she said the sextant wasn't very good....#Ba-dum-dum-tisshhh#

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 22, 2018, 23:24:07 »

A joint effort, I like it  Pint

My Dad is still livid about someone doing a PhD in Alfred Hitchcock that he saw on Pointless about a month ago.

The TEF collective could probably come up with a sitcom and script it, if minds were put to it. After all Mrs Brown's Boys gets big viewing figures, and you can offshore the proceeds.
Amir

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 10:58:26 »

Was just looking for Daniel Kitson tickets and saw Mark Thomas is on at the Old Vic. I've seen him twice at the Tobacco Factory(about walking the wall in Palestine,  and his dad and Opera). He's done some great stuff since the mid-90s in my opinion.

Went to see this the other night, about opening a comedy club in Palestine. Not as funny as his previous shows, but very interesting and worthwhile.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: