Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comedy Corner  (Read 46851 times)
Amir

« on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 16:51:00 »

I've been meaning to start this for a while, and the other thread gave me a nudge. I really need something new to watch, especially since Stewart Lee fell off, and I've watched more Bill Burr than is healthy.

Following on from the previous discussion, I find Jim Jeffrey's too........... Australian maybe. He can be very funny but he comes across as a bit obnoxious at times. Maybe it's just me? Frankie Boyle while offensive is actually very clever at times. I love his joke about Prince Harry and Afghan shepherds Grin

Recommendations and favourite clips welcome.....
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 16:53:06 by Amir » Logged
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 19:00:13 »

Daniel Kitson is probably my favourite UK comedian. Probably.

I like a lot of U.S. comics: Burr, Doug Stanhope, Marc Maron. I don’t mind people like John Mulaney but Aziz Ansari has ‘lost it’ for me. Feels like popularity has gone to his head.
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 19:03:30 »

I like a lot of U.S. comics: Burr, Doug Stanhope, Marc Maron. I don’t mind people like John Mulaney but Aziz Ansari has ‘lost it’ for me. Feels like popularity has gone to his head.

Am I right in recalling you've done some stand up yourself?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 19:05:54 »

Am I right in recalling you've done some stand up yourself?

Yeah, I did quite regularly for about 3 years.

Mostly enjoyable but I think I’m done with that now.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 19:14:03 »

I love Bill Burr to bits but find his intensity exhausting.
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 19:29:52 »

Yeah, I did quite regularly for about 3 years.

Mostly enjoyable but I think I’m done with that now.

I applaud you for that. It must take some guts to get up there in front of an audience.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 20:18:41 »

I applaud you for that. It must take some guts to get up there in front of an audience.
I did it once egged on by Wil Hodgson, never again, frightening, Nemo also has done some stand up too.

Comedy is very subjective, I know many many brilliant comedians but I doubt many would appeal to the masses especially if you are into the housewife favourites Peter Kay and Michael Mcintyre.

Find a comedy club, go out and do it, you will find shitloads of talent that will never (or rarely) make it on TV but on stage are fantastic.

Acts such as Tim Shishodia, Wil Hodgson, Martin Mor, Phill Jupitus, Jimeoin, Rob Deering, Mark Olver, John Robbins, Gary Delaney, Jarred Christmas, Steve Day, Simon Donald, Simon Evans, Craig Campbell, Richard Herring et al the list is almost endless of talented and rarely seen on TV acts.

I have visited the Edinburgh Comedy Fringe every year for 12 years and over that time taken in around 250 acts and almost all of them are worth the entrance fee.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 20:23:06 »

Saw Kitson at the roundhouse last July.  He is truly next level from anything else Ive seen.  Hilarious, touching and thought provoking he says what I feel.  Just much much better.

Saw Jordan Brookes at Chippenham comedy festival last year.  He went on to be shortlisted fopr the Edinburgh award.  He was very good as well.

Last weekend went up to London and saw Bridget christie doing a work in progress show which was allright, but very much a work in progress followed by Rob Newman doing a show about philosophy which was very funny.

Looking back at the thread I realise this doent help at all.  Sorry.

Never knowingly overstated.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 20:24:32 »

I did it once egged on by Wil Hodgson, never again, frightening, Nemo also has done some stand up too.

Comedy is very subjective, I know many many brilliant comedians but I doubt many would appeal to the masses especially if you are into the housewife favourites Peter Kay and Michael Mcintyre.

Find a comedy club, go out and do it, you will find shitloads of talent that will never (or rarely) make it on TV but on stage are fantastic.

Acts such as Tim Shishodia, Wil Hodgson, Martin Mor, Phill Jupitus, Jimeoin, Rob Deering, Mark Olver, John Robbins, Gary Delaney, Jarred Christmas, Steve Day, Simon Donald, Simon Evans, Craig Campbell, Richard Herring et al the list is almost endless of talented and rarely seen on TV acts.

I have visited the Edinburgh Comedy Fringe every year for 12 years and over that time taken in around 250 acts and almost all of them are worth the entrance fee.

I also saw Venkman at the chippenham comedy festival.  He wasn't performing but was still very funny.

Never knowingly overstated.
Amir

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 20:33:39 »

Does anyone have any Daniel Kitson they'd like to share? Or is there not much available online? I've watched a couple of short bits of his before, nothing that's really grabbed me.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 20:47:42 »

Been to say Craig Campbell after he supported Frankie Boyle on his tour about 5 or 6 years ago. Was very good. Seen a lot of Gary Delaney, but not live, mainly his Mock the Week stuff. Isn't he married to Sarah Millican??

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 21:10:01 »

If you get chance to see David Baddiel’s My Family: Not the Sitcom, do so.

Searingly honest, very funny and, unless you have a heart of stone, you’ll choke back tears at the end
Amir

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 21:33:36 »

Was just looking for Daniel Kitson tickets and saw Mark Thomas is on at the Old Vic. I've seen him twice at the Tobacco Factory(about walking the wall in Palestine,  and his dad and Opera). He's done some great stuff since the mid-90s in my opinion.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 22:30:41 »

Does anyone have any Daniel Kitson they'd like to share? Or is there not much available online? I've watched a couple of short bits of his before, nothing that's really grabbed me.

You won't find much of his stuff online, but I echo everyone else's recommendation. You're best off signing up to his mailing list as tickets sell out quite fast if you just go looking.

I'm off to FINALLY see Stewart Lee in February, so I'm glad to hear he's gone off the boil Cheesy

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, January 21, 2018, 22:38:45 »

I'm a Kitson disciple.  You need to see him live, a class apart.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: