Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coventry City vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 19435 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #105 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 16:51:11 »

Richards build and style is very similar to Mullin, hes not a Norris replacement and certainly not a target man.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #106 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 16:53:22 »

The wide open spaces of the Ricoh.

joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 16:56:39 »

Richards build and style is very similar to Mullin, hes not a Norris replacement and certainly not a target man.
Not really sure what he’ll offer us then?  We need a target man.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #108 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 16:57:46 »

We should have won that.

All over.

Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:00:16 »

Couple of gifts with the 2nd and 3rd goals but I still can't quite believe we've lost that.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #110 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:04:31 »

Couple of gifts with the 2nd and 3rd goals but I still can't quite believe we've lost that.
Coventry were certainly there for the taking, we had the better play for probably 80% of the game, a stunning strike, a penalty and some awful defending cost us the game.

We are a better side than them by a fair margin but if you don't score with most of the chances you have combined with letting in poor goals means you won't win.

Thats the end of our 55 year record up there Sad

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:05:43 »

This has made the gap a bit bigger.  Everyone above us winning now.  Disappointing that every time we look like we’re putting a run together, we blow it.

Still loads to play for, I looked back on FVR Matchday Thread and actually had us down to lose this. Accrington to Win. That has gone as predicted. So our game in hand with them is still a crunch tie. Predicted a win for us next I think and a draw for them. We can't win them all but today with the amount of pressure and attack we should've gained a point least not a win. Wrong personnel in the substitutions. In so much, the wrong players brought off. Should've been Richards for Norris but much later. Mullin for Dunne and earlier, maybe at HT. Taylor for Gordon or Anderson, also at HT.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:09:12 »

Well.  I think we can learn a few things from this game:

a) Gordon is not a wing back, he has no idea where he is supposed to be, but he is a half decent player
b) Bringing on a shit left winger to replace him is sheer madness
c) The general standard of our players is poor, and means we are open to defensive melt downs
d) Norris is not a centre forward.  He somehow has the opposite of a centr forwards instincts.  Maybe try him in defence.
e) Flitcroft brings nothing to the table.  His only real imprint on this game was two awful substitutions that brought about the surety of our defeat.  First Woollery, who regardless of ability was enabling the game to remain stretched with Coventry fearing his pace down the sides.  He was the sole reason we were getting space.  Taking him off enabled Coventry to squeeze us, which leads to his second awful sub, Brophy.  We lost all threat and created a defensive panic as even defending he tried coming back in.

Oh, and what was going on with letting Banks take corners?  He just floated every one of them.  Landalo takes a few which are all threatening, then we let Banks take another.  Another moment that shows Flitcroft brings little benefit, he should have seen the issue and adjusted, or to be honest, never let it happen in the first place.

My final point, after giving him a good amount of benefit of the doubt, but a Sloth would be a better bet to take our number eight shirt.

A game we could have taken something from unravelled in the second half thanks to Manager input by and large, bringing pressure on our teams lack of abilities.

Oddly, for about 30 mins or so we seemed to have stumbled on something that looked almost effective.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:12:10 by RobertT » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:12:49 »

didn't really deserve to lose on chances.  it was only around the goals or just after they looked better.

how we didn't  equaliser is a mixture of bad luck, bad finishing and I'm convinced a handball
Peter Venkman

« Reply #114 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:13:25 »

Well.  I think we can learn a few things from this game:

a) Gordon is not a wing back, he has no idea where he is supposed to be, but he is a half decent player
c) The general standard of our players is poor, and means we are open to defensive melt downs
d) Norris is not a centre forward.  He somehow has the opposite of a centr forwards instincts.  Maybe try him in defence.
e) Flitcroft brings nothing to the table.  His only real imprint on this game was two awful substitutions that brought about the surety of our defeat.  First Woollery, who regardless of ability was enabling the game to remain stretched with Coventry fearing his pace down the sides.  He was the sole reason we were getting space.  Taking him off enabled Coventry to squeeze us, which leads to his second awful sub, Brophy.  We lost all threat and created a defensive panic as even defending he tried coming back in.

Oh, and what was going on with letting Banks take corners?  He just floated every one of them.  Landalo takes a few which are all threatening, then we let Banks take another.  Another moment that shows Flitcroft brings little benefit, he should have seen the issue and adjusted, or to be honest, never let it happen in the first place.

My final point, after giving him a good amount of benefit of the doubt, but a Sloth would be a better bet to take our number eight shirt.

A game we could have taken something from unravelled in the second half thanks to Manager input by and large, bringing pressure on our teams lack of abilities.

Oddly, for about 30 mins or so we seemed to have stumbled on something that looked almost effective.
I cannot agree more with pretty much all of that, spot on exactly as I see/saw it today.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:16:33 »

on Woolery I can only assume it was because he was knackered. Didn't look it from my seat but he had run a lot.

taking away the mistake, still not getting Anderson Seems to be involved a lot but do very little. but I am in a minority, so must just not see it
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:17:49 »

I cannot agree more with pretty much all of that, spot on exactly as I see/saw it today.
Well.  I think we can learn a few things from this game:

d) Norris is not a centre forward.  He somehow has the opposite of a centr forwards instincts.  Maybe try him in defence.
e) Flitcroft brings nothing to the table.  His only real imprint on this game was two awful substitutions that brought about the surety of our defeat.  First Woollery, who regardless of ability was enabling the game to remain stretched with Coventry fearing his pace down the sides.  He was the sole reason we were getting space.  Taking him off enabled Coventry to squeeze us, which leads to his second awful sub, Brophy.  We lost all threat and created a defensive panic as even defending he tried coming back in.

Oh, and what was going on with letting Banks take corners?  He just floated every one of them.  Landalo takes a few which are all threatening, then we let Banks take another.  Another moment that shows Flitcroft brings little benefit, he should have seen the issue and adjusted, or to be honest, never let it happen in the first place.

I agree with all of that except the Gordon comment. I think Gordon is a CAM/No.10/False 9 and would flourish there, especially since Elsnik has been out injured. Yes he's definitely not a full wing back. I think the accuracy should be; Flitcroft doesn't know where Gordon's is supposed to be.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Panda Paws

« Reply #117 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:18:30 »

Such an annoying result. We’ve all said all season there’s nothing between the top 10, Luton aside. Cov weren’t any better than us in the same way we weren’t any better than Notts or Wycombe when we beat them.

That aside today is a little galling. The ref was abysmal for both sides. Gave everything, including the pen (which looked soft but on video maybe right?).

Back 3 bad. Everyone else ok. Good day. Bad result. It means nothing. We might go up, we might not. Everyone in this league plays percentage football, and it might go for us. Won’t be making plans for the third Saturday in May...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #118 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:19:08 »

on Woolery I can only assume it was because he was knackered. Didn't look it from my seat but he had run a lot.

taking away the mistake, still not getting Anderson Seems to be involved a lot but do very little. but I am in a minority, so must just not see it
I think Flitcorft doesn't think Woolery is ready for 90 mins he always takes him off and he worked his socks off today so that can be the only reason.

I don't really get Anderson either mate its not just you, he runs around a lot, gets a lot of the ball, gives the ball away a lot and can't shoot.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:20:25 »

My point was that Gordon isn’t  a wing back, he was exposed as a defender.  He was still much better though than bringing Brophy on in that position.  The switch ceased our threat and made the defensive cover worse, because Brophy kept coming back in.

Gordon is a right winger, in the old fashioned sense, which probably means he will not go on to great things as nobody plays with them anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: