Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club statement  (Read 69831 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:23:29 »

The town centre is grim, but one thing Swindon does have is some great parks and decent cycle paths.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:24:33 »

I can only comment as a bystander as I have not been to Swindon for donkeys years (got to Highworth last year as close as I have been for ages!)

However from what i hear from my old man (Swindon resident from 1937-1973ish) and from most on here is that it has become a shit hole with few redeeming features and no obvious signs of improvement, now if that is representative of residents generally its not surprising it gets such a negative press?

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:26:56 »

I honestly could not name any one thing about Swindon that I miss, apart from certain people. Any one thing that I might name can be satisfied in any other town in the country. It's just... meh! It's not as bad as many make it out to be, but the meh-ness is off the scale. If I do, for whatever reason, end up returning to Britain permanently, I can imagine myself staying elsewhere.

The town has declined rapidly. They've thrown up loads of poorly built copycat houses all on top of each other whilst the infrastructure of the town has been destroyed. The town centre is woeful. You're not missing anything. I want out but the Mrs refuses to move. People keep us here, not the town.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:29:19 »

Aside from the useless road system/planning and the 1970s town centre I think the town is fine.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:36:34 »

People keep us here, not the town.

It's the people that matter... I've lived in Swindon for all but 10 years of my life, and have had and continue to have a right good time.  Pint

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:44:06 »

It's the people that matter... I've lived in Swindon for all but 10 years of my life, and have had and continue to have a right good time.  Pint

Absolutely right. Same here. I just could easily move away if it wasn't for the people and it wouldn't bother me.
It's not the town it was.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:50:24 »

Absolutely right. Same here. I just could easily move away if it wasn't for the people and it wouldn't bother me.
It's not the town it was.

Certainly the 2008 Banker's Crash, took its toll, and with the imposition of Tory austerity, we've yet to see a recovery.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:50:33 »

Living outside of the Town now for nearly 20 years all I really miss are the 3 F's - family, friends and football.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 13:20:09 »

The town has declined rapidly. They've thrown up loads of poorly built copycat houses all on top of each other whilst the infrastructure of the town has been destroyed. The town centre is woeful. You're not missing anything. I want out but the Mrs refuses to move. People keep us here, not the town.

People.... and the fact its a fuck ton cheaper than anywhere else around. The council have allowed the Town to become a dive.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 13:41:29 »

People.... and the fact its a fuck ton cheaper than anywhere else around. The council have allowed the Town to become a dive.

Yup to all the above! Oh, and its transport links to elsewhere are fairly good once you actually get out of Swindon, M4 and M5 are easily accessible for working elsewhere...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 13:51:20 »

Up until last summer I had plied my trade out on the road in a sales environment for 30 years. I have travelled extensively across the southern half of the UK from mid Wales to the south of Birmingham and across to north & east London and below. My time north of Birmingham is limited but whenever I have ventured up north I have always found the towns and cities a bit grim. So I speak with some authority when I say that when it come to shit holes i’d rather live in Swindon than many, many places. There are of course some places I could happily go to but in the end I take the view that house prices are relatively cheap for the area. Everywhere in the U.K. and indeed the world is within a few hours reach of a decent transport hub (except the flying time) by road or rail. Coming from London as I do i’d rather vote Labour than live there.

Taking an overview of some of the places I have been to abroad Oz, US and Europe the one thing that strikes me is you could put most places anywhere and easily compare them. In other words every western country has a Swindon, Manchester, Dibley etc.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 14:19:50 »

Dibley

I've heard its got a decent vicar which puts it on the map....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #252 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 14:21:28 »

All I could think of was this...

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 14:24:31 »

Certainly the 2008 Banker's Crash, took its toll, and with the imposition of Tory austerity, we've yet to see a recovery.
It was going downhill well before 2008 or austerity, as much due to successive fuckwits in the council chamber - of both parties. Not everything is the fault of Tory governments (or Labour ones). The major cause of the town's decline is within the borough (council) itself
Up until last summer I had plied my trade out on the road in a sales environment for 30 years. I have travelled extensively across the southern half of the UK from mid Wales to the south of Birmingham and across to north & east London and below. My time north of Birmingham is limited but whenever I have ventured up north I have always found the towns and cities a bit grim. So I speak with some authority when I say that when it come to shit holes i’d rather live in Swindon than many, many places.
You could get a new career as a shithole consultant!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 14:32:04 »

No no no no no no no no no no no no.         Yes.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: