Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club statement  (Read 69172 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 11:35:16 »

Rovers are now owned by an allegedly wealthy Middle Eastern consortium. No substantial progress over the local investors has been seen as a result, although there's been a lot of talk

Fair shout. But the point stands - it’s not the nationality of the investors that matters, it’s the credibility and the intentions. McCrory was from Evesham wasn’t he?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 11:38:34 »

Fair shout. But the point stands - it’s not the nationality of the investors that matters, it’s the credibility and the intentions. McCrory was from Evesham wasn’t he?
Oh completely. That was the point I was making (apparently not well) as LL seemed to be implying it was only wealthy foreign investors who would be able to push us up the league structure.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 18:47:51 »

That's not an either or though is it? We're just as likely to stagnate (or even completely implode) with foreign owners as we are with domestic (Birmingham, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Rovers etc etc). Equally, Swansea show that a Trust-based model can take you to the top (and Stockport shows it can implode too)
FFS. I’d hate to get stuck in a lift with you. Right to help you out. In forty years, as we are in status and ground or a yo yo bottom third premier league team with a decent ground and some reasonable infrastructure?

Who owns it I suppose doesn’t matter, they’re likely to be monied Toriy types who most of you hate with a vengeance or some shady Johnny Foreigner type of dubious character. We’ll all as supporters hate them all one way or another.

Shit ground, shit status or something a little glamorous? Or you slope off to Wealdstone everyother Saturday and rub shoulders with the raider if you don’t fancy either.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 18:49:07 »

Regarding the anonymous third party who may or may not be in cahoots with the trust, has anybody heard any plausible names?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 21:46:33 »

FFS. I’d hate to get stuck in a lift with you. Right to help you out. In forty years, as we are in status and ground or a yo yo bottom third premier league team with a decent ground and some reasonable infrastructure?

Who owns it I suppose doesn’t matter, they’re likely to be monied Toriy types who most of you hate with a vengeance or some shady Johnny Foreigner type of dubious character. We’ll all as supporters hate them all one way or another.

Shit ground, shit status or something a little glamorous? Or you slope off to Wealdstone everyother Saturday and rub shoulders with the raider if you don’t fancy either.
My apologies for replying to what you said rather than what you thought you meant.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 22:12:25 »

My apologies for replying to what you said rather than what you thought you meant.
Accepted.
hobodan

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 07:47:51 »

Ipswich, Derby, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Preston are towns in the ballpark of ours in terms of population. Burnley, Blackburn have a lower population. Swindon has the ‘potential’ as a ‘football town’ to have reasonable success and decent support.
Redevelopment of the stadium is essential imo. It’s a good location that can be used to generate more money for the club. But we need an owner that is willing to pay for the redevelopment and not siphon the takings it does generate. Just can’t see it happening, we will more than likely end up in a situation like Coventry City with the shenanigans they have had with the Rico. 
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 08:42:29 »

You missed out Reading, look how their fortunes and support have changed. I know people mention plastic fans etc but would we like to have had the changes that they've experienced?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 08:44:28 by 4D » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 09:55:43 »

Ipswich, Derby, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Preston are towns in the ballpark of ours in terms of population. Burnley, Blackburn have a lower population. Swindon has the ‘potential’ as a ‘football town’ to have reasonable success and decent support.
Redevelopment of the stadium is essential imo. It’s a good location that can be used to generate more money for the club. But we need an owner that is willing to pay for the redevelopment and not siphon the takings it does generate. Just can’t see it happening, we will more than likely end up in a situation like Coventry City with the shenanigans they have had with the Rico. 

All of the places you mention don't have largely incoming populations, I remain convinced that a lot of the problem with Swindon Town engaging with residents is simply the fact that a lot of Swindon residents are not from Swindon and thus there is not the long standing family links to the club passed down through generations.

Also the towns you mention in the main have clubs that have a period of success within their history which always leads to pride in the town and thus historic engagement being enhanced, we have had 1 year (1969) and that is really about it, which is really not enough.

Only way we are really going to get on is with a wealthy backer, we don't have the foundations to attract a non fan, and our wealthy fans (if we actually have any) for whatever reason are not interested.

Ultimately its a vicious circle and we are in and around the level we can reasonably sustain, so really as fans we have to like it or lump it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 10:06:50 »

All of the places you mention don't have largely incoming populations, I remain convinced that a lot of the problem with Swindon Town engaging with residents is simply the fact that a lot of Swindon residents are not from Swindon and thus there is not the long standing family links to the club passed down through generations.

Also the towns you mention in the main have clubs that have a period of success within their history which always leads to pride in the town and thus historic engagement being enhanced, we have had 1 year (1969) and that is really about it, which is really not enough.

Only way we are really going to get on is with a wealthy backer, we don't have the foundations to attract a non fan, and our wealthy fans (if we actually have any) for whatever reason are not interested.

Ultimately its a vicious circle and we are in and around the level we can reasonably sustain, so really as fans we have to like it or lump it.

Your conviction doesn't necessarily make it true. I know incomers who are fans and offspring of long standing residents who support other clubs.

However, you're right that we're about the level we can sustain, therefore the challenge is can we over achieve and get back to being a decent Div 3 side.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 10:07:18 »

Swindon's population in 1911 was over 50,000 which rose to over 70,000 by the early 70's. You'd have to say over half the town population has some rooted history.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 10:25:29 by 4D » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 10:13:31 »

Absolutely spot on.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 10:25:01 »

Swindon'school population in 1911 was over 50,000 which rose to over 70,000 by the early 70's. You'd have to say over half the town population has some rooted history.

In 1911 we were one of the leading clubs in the country.

Historically we had two links, one with the Works and one with the hinterland, meaning the small Wiltshire, Glos and Berkshire towns and villages. With the closure of the Works in 85, that link was gradually broken. The out of Town link, is still just about there, but changes in demographics and the continued decline of the town centre, will see it become a thing of the past.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 10:32:53 »

Swindon's population in 1911 was over 50,000 which rose to over 70,000 by the early 70's. You'd have to say over half the town population has some rooted history.

Who knows though, silly example I had various family members included in that 70's figure, i now have no family links to Swindon as everyone moved away after the works closed?

Swindon seems to suffer a lot of population churn due to its employment types and opportunity?

In 1911 we were one of the leading clubs in the country.

In 1911 we still had an empire and a booming homegrown industrial base... Perhaps Brexit and the return to insular greatness will provide the opportunities to bring Swindon Town back to those lofty heights?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 10:55:31 »

My dad was Irish and my mum's from Surrey and I've had a season ticket for 13 years.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: