Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Club statement  (Read 69850 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #165 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 10:14:02 »

That might change if a new stadium puts bums on seats, though.
Absolutely. Swindon as a town does contain a lot of floating football fans that go to London to watch bigger games, and the higher the league the more chance you have of attracting vastly higher visiting support numbers too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #166 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 10:34:04 »

Last calculated about 6 months ago:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10881263/ultimate-league-reveals-liverpool-are-englands-top-team-followed-by-man-utd-and-arsenal

We're 48th, puts us 4th in League One?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #167 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 10:42:43 »

4th is higher than the last one I saw a fair few years back, sounds about right though TBH.

We have flirted once with the Premiership and had a few short affairs with Div 4 (the first couple ending badly) otherwise its pretty much been L1 with a handful of Championship seasons thrown in.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 11:02:19 »

Which is why I don't understand those who say they don't want a moneybags owners taking over. Without one we are forever bouncing around the lower leagues.

Sod that. Bring back Red Bull!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 11:02:25 »

Forever in a play off position Suicide
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 11:10:59 »

When I worked it out a few years ago I think 4th in teir 3 was our mean and median position.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #171 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 11:15:19 »

Which is why I don't understand those who say they don't want a moneybags owners taking over. Without one we are forever bouncing around the lower leagues.

Without heavy backing it is almost impossible to build a side strong enough to compete at the top of the Championship let alone the Premier League unfortunately.

I cant ever see Swindon as being a viable enough proposition for anyone other than a very rich fan owner, which it appears Swindon has none of.

Flashheart

« Reply #172 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 11:32:38 »

I'd love a mega-rich sugar daddy... I just don't want one that will one day get bored and leave us in the shit.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 12:08:47 »

Because it would defeat the whole object of supporting a team in the first place.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 14:00:42 »

That's interesting. I love statistical analysis like this.

So 4th in League One in data form, shouts to me (unbiasedly too) a team with massive potential, within a largish fan catchment area. This may be a wild projection and I'll admit this could sound like bullshit but...If a backer with wealth similar to our previous owners (i'm not counting the charlatan Jeddy baby), even less; say in the £100m-£150m bracket. I think (as well as being shrewd and articulate in spending) if they had a proper extensive portfolio in advertising & marketing exposure and history of attracting true commercial investment, STFC could easily be turned into a "fashionable" club to attract consumers from their surrounding Towns. The right team in advertising, marketing & COMMUNICATION can sell you anything.

I don't foresee it with Power unless he has a revelation (maybe ground purchase is his epiphany). I don't see it with whoever he sells to in the future (not initially) but with the ground coming into ownership (via the TrustSTFC, Power or A.N Other) this is an opportunity to push towards an upward curve. As fans we of course look at this with caution due to our history. A stark reminder; history can repeat itself but it cannot determine our future. Our future enables us to change our past.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 14:15:17 »

That's interesting. I love statistical analysis like this.

The only real data that matters, is that we are 10th in Div 4. That would seem like a fair reflection of where Power has taken us, meaning there are presently 14 clubs worse off than us and 77 rated better.

To get back to our historic status as a usually semi decent Div 3 club, will require significant improvements all round. At least this season it looks like we've halted the slide, which is a positive.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 14:26:05 »

The only real data that matters, is that we are 10th in Div 4. That would seem like a fair reflection of where Power has taken us, meaning there are presently 14 clubs worse off than us and 77 rated better.

To get back to our historic status as a usually semi decent Div 3 club, will require significant improvements all round. At least this season it looks like we've halted the slide, which is a positive.

Of course Reg, but on that reckoning surely that also means; a fair reflection of where "another owner" can take us, is indeed above our historic status as a top end tier 3 club?

'Incessant Nonsense'

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 14:57:27 »

Never mind where we are now, I was shocked to see the Pox only 3 places below us over 50 years
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #178 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:04:48 »

Don't forget those stats are over our entire history. Football has changed A LOT in that time. And the change has accelerated in the last 25 years. Money is everything now, and we just do'nt have it.

No denying we have potential, we're the only league club for 30 miles in any direction.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 17:09:30 »

Don't forget those stats are over our entire history. Football has changed A LOT in that time. And the change has accelerated in the last 25 years. Money is everything now, and we just do'nt have it.

No denying we have potential, we're the only league club for 30 miles in any direction.

For sure, I believe the right team in (as stated above), and obviously funds can expose that massive gap in the market to make us "attractive" to the local consumer.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: